Holly (not Hilly) for potential return?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by littlesmegger, Jul 2, 2013.

1. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

So as a random tweet yesterday I asked Norman whether, once Series XI is confirmed, he would like to reprise his Holly role, or whether that gig had been and gone now. To which he replied:

@littlesmegger It's not up to me but I wouldn't mind doing a Holly episode.

So whilst a full time return looks unlikely, the premise of a reoccurring guest role for Holly would be something interesting at least! To be fair Holly's old role was devoured by Kryten anyway, so a regular role would be a waste. However if the plot was written in a Queeg style and gave the character purpose, it could prove a hit.

What do we think?

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

To be honest I wouldn't be that bothered. I think that Series VI and X both demonstrated amply that Red Dwarf does not particularly need Holly any more (VII was a bit underwhelming but that was nothing to do with the lack of Holly IMO), I was also not especially impressed by Norman Lovett's Holly in Series VIII either, although that's no slight against him as he had a script to work to and to be fair I was not especially impressed by Series VIII altogether.

If Holly was to make a return I can't see how it would work as a one-off episode, the difficulty would be finding a good way of writing him back out at the end of the episode again and I'm not that confident Doug would do a good job of that.

3. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I've always loved Norman Lovett as Holly. 'Nuff said. 8)

4. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Yeah ! I want Holly, bring Norman back. It doesn't need to be full time as he just needs a few one liner's that he delivers with excellent timing, to huge laughter.

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

NO! His character is now redundant. We do NOT want HIM (Norman) back after all his nastiness regards the show & those working on it etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

So basically he is saying he will only come back to do 1 episode thats about holly

i don't really like that idea, holly is the red dwarf computer, he/she mean't to be a regular character in some form or another

just get hattie back in that case, as much as I like Norman's holly why do a one off holly story then lose holly again just because its Norman

7. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Or, how about an episode where Norman and Hattie return to both play different versions of Holly. The two personalities fight to try and take over the other and control Red Dwarf leading them to put the boys in danger and in the end Holly is destroyed or turned off for good or something so we finally put rest to the character and still get to see Norman and Hattie one more time. If one of the episodes on XI was based around that sort of storyline I'd be happy. If Holly was to return as a full time character, I'd still prefer it to be Hattie.

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm sure Mr. Naylor could write an episode featuring Holly. There are all manner of plot devices he could plausibly use. I'd like to see it happen.

Pots & kettles sim ;-)

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I'd like to see Holly returnuth (preferably Norman and preferably full-time) but would be happy to see the character come back for a one-off episode if it was well written.

Speaking of which I don't believe Holly was ever redundant as a character. No more than one could claim Kryten or Cat are/could be redundant. I do think Kryten was over-written though (especially during series 4), thus taking lines that would've worked better coming from Holly.

Bring back Holly and get rid of Kryten!

Just kidding...about the Kryten part that is. Although series 4 did genuinely concern me a bit at the time due to my feeling there was way too much focus on Kryten.

For me Holly is only redundant when the writer(s) decided that's the case. If they still cared about the character they could've kept him/her interesting, rather than obsessing over Kryten so much.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kryten, but I don't buy the theory/concept that there can be only one or the other in relation to the Holly character.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Given we don't know how many more series we can expect from this show i'd like to think holly could be brought back as a regular at some point the way the show and novels setup, i mean its ok to put the character aside for a little while but come on he is the ships computer

11. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Do I really need to comment on my opinion here? ;-)

12. Highjump

Highjump Second Technician

I must admit i am not a fan of either characters maybe just a voice would of been better? but if i were to pick... i can't they are both bad and the jokes seemed forced when coming from there mouth. Maybe it's because norman never learned his lines at the start and hilly was just never given anything good to say or just that bad.

13. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Norman should come back, for me its the main thing that was missing from X.