Holly?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by billyballoch, Mar 16, 2009.

1. billyballoch

billyballoch Third Technician

Anyone know if holly will appear in the new specials. Particularly Norman Lovett?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Holly won't feature I'm afraid.

3. jamiec

jamiec Third Technician

How come holly won't apper:evil:

4. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Possibly not needed. Possibly the actor didn't want to be needed.

5. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    Humm, that's too bad. Maybe if successful they'll have some one else just as funny to fit the bill.

6. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I don't think Holly is actually needed. Norman was fantastic in the first couple of series but when Robert came in as Kryten, he really made Holly redundant and Hatty never had the amount to do that Norman had.
    As lovely as it was to see Norman come back at the end of series 7, his part was much reduced from his previous time with the show and I would rather remember the brilliance of something like Queeg than see him underused again.

7. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

After his famous YouTube rant I'm not surprised he's lost this opportunity really.

8. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

It will be sad without Holly :-(

9. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

What's this about then? I must've missed that one. *feels left out*

10. lynseyjinn

lynseyjinn First Technician

Yeah, this is new to me as well. I will miss Holly, I must admit but it's not as though Red Dwarf can't function without him. Given my choice I'd have him in there every time but Kryten can easily fill the role that Holly had.

11. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Norman makes a good point about the part of Holly in the Series VIII documentary. He felt (as I do) that Holly just popped up now and again to crack a joke and wasn't really a decent part of the plotting.

In fact this was the case throughout Red Dwarf from Series III onwards (With the exception of White Hole). I still rate VI as my favourite series and that's partly because they weren't crowbarring lines for Holly into otherwise tight episodes.

Red Dwarf works best as a four-character comedy. That's why Holly worked so well in Series I and II but became redundant from III onwards: all his/her main uses were taken over by the better character of Kryten.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I agree. Post-series 2 Red Dwarf works better without the character. I won't miss him.

Anyway, I want to know about this 'Youtube rant'.

13. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

It's odd because the one time when we had the entire team together - Lister, Rimmer, Kryten, Cat, Kochanski, Holly and the Skutters - was series VIII, which probably isn't viewed as the best of series. But even more oddly, they were all back in their old costumes and positions for the Children in Need sketch, which was, and still is, the closest you will get to a Red Dwarf reunion without destroying key elements of the show.

14. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I don't know about that. I liked Holly in series I & II more than I liked Kryten in any of them (nothing against Robert Llewellyn, he's brilliant in his own right). I don't mind the episodes where Hattie took over because she's funny too but they cut the character down to almost nothing once Kryten showed up and I don't think she really got a good opportunity to make the best of the character. :\

Of course series II is probably my favorite (closely followed by V, though for different reasons), so I'm a bit biased in my opinions. :P

15. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

How does having an opinion make you biased? "I am Norman Lovett, so I'm a bit biased" I could understand. You're not biased - no need to make excuses for a good opinion!

16. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

It's easy to forget, when watching the later series with Kryten, just how brilliant Norman's Holly was for two series. He had most of the best lines. But in series 8, as was mentioned, he just popped up occasionally to make the odd joke, and they were some of the worst of a series which was focusing more on physical comedy (for which it's been criticized, but I liked it anyway).

A disembodied head, moon impressions aside, doesn't have a lot of scope for slapstick. He could still have had a place in a well written story, but not with Kryten there.

I guess it's R.I.P. Holly!:crying:

I getting some Kleenex and watching Queeg.

17. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

Ahem, 'insert obligatory masturbation joke here' :lol:

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Don't mind if I do.

Queeg is a good episode. But not THAT good.

19. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

It's the bald heads that do it for me!;-)

*Sighs*

20. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

According to SFX Holly wont be part of Back To Earth, Holly is offline due to water damage caused by Lister leaving a tap running.