Hoping to go this place soon

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jan 5, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Looks really cool, and not to far away from me

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Zaxxon! How many hundreds of dollars did I spend, quarter at a time, playing that! Videogame arcades like the one pictured are pretty much extinct around here.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. neilold

They are here to, and have being for well over a decade. That's why I'm hoping to get there in a few weeks. I spent a vast majority of my younger life in such places. You wanna try to get to galloping ghost. The YouTube walk around tours of it looks amazing. It seems to have literally every arcade machine ever made, and some unique ones to. It pretty much near the top of dream places i'd love to visit along with funspot and barcade

4. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

I love some games like Time Crisis. I am also beezer at the original donkey kong. I miss arcades. I used to play the arcade cabinet of street fighter 2 at the local leisure center every time I was there despite having it on the SNES back home.

5. neilold

I could never get the timing off for those moving platforms on donkey Kong. Consequentially I couldn't try very high. I was never good at gun games, though I loved the house of the dead series for the blood and gore, and point blank for the loopy fun. However, I was king of the local arcade on numerous games
    I remember on sf2, nobody could get zangiefs spinning pile-driver down. You always ended up doing another move while attempting it

6. BigOleDummy

Ms. Pacman was my "beat everyone else and laugh" game actually. With Zaxxon a very close second. Donkey Kong right behind it, and one I cannot remember the name of :redface: for some reason or another. It was a Space-type side scroller/platformer. Was playing it the night/morning me and Spider got in a alley knife fight with some locals in Detroit for stealing my dog.

7. neilold

I my be able to help you with the name. Though I'll need more details? Was it R-type or one of its sequels? There were dozens of r-type rip offs to. If it was early to mid eighties it may have being gradius/nemesis, or it's sequel salamander. Can u give me a year, roughly?

8. neilold

I was hopeless at the pac man games. I didn't even know till a few years ago that the ghosts had traits similar to their names. I just thought they were cute names that were designed to appeal to would be players

9. BigOleDummy

Took me being absolutely SMOKED by a 11/12 year old to get me serious about Ms. Pacman :redface:, matter of pride after that.

Thinking it was Defender the more I think about it. I also loved and spent more money and time than I'm proud of on Tempest, Missile Command and JOUST! Loved riding/flying on those Ostriches :-D

10. neilold

Defender was usually very loud. If it had innumerable buttons and an up down controller, then it was defender. All the games you mention are pretty much early eighties

11. BigOleDummy

That was it for sure then. Very loud and a panel full of buttons + a joystick. And yeah, early 80's would be about my salad days as a quarter dropper. I was there for the boom and the bust. I was a pinball fanatic before that and still play those on occasion but they are as hard to find now as a videogame machine.

Did you ever get to play Death Race 2000 before it was banned? WAS it even banned over there? It was actually kind of a cheesy game but I , at least, played the hell out of it whenever I found one just so the owner(s) who had enough guts to buy one would make some money on it. The little screams as you ran over the pedestrians ........... :-D! Believe it or not I saw one on a traveling carnival arcade about ......oh......... 10/15 years ago. Yeah I dropped a few bucks in it just for the nostalgia. The guy who owned it (arcade) died and it hasn't been seen since. It was the last one I've seen too.

12. neilold

No, was that a pinball or arcade game? I was never into pinball as I totally sucked at them. My favourites though were haunted house, coz it was multilevel, and xenon, coz it talked. Death race is a great movie, with carradine and Stallone. I don't think it was banned over here, but it was definitely cut, as for the arcade/pinball death race, I never saw it over here

13. neilold

I loved loud arcade games. There was a buck Rogers, planet of zoom one that came in with the fair and could be heard 100 yards away. Gorf was also deafening. As was spy hunter, cause the music for it came out of speakers for it positioned either side of your ears, in a sit down cabinet

14. BigOleDummy

Arcade game. About a .......... 22/25 inch screen , totally black no anything, just free form with a steering wheel controller. You "drove" the little car around and little stick figure men would run in from the sides and you would try to run them over. When you did, they would scream and a little cross would appear. You got points for how many you killed. After the first few minutes or so they got pretty good at evading you so it got harder the further into the game you got. The church people here went out of their minds over it!

I just went to youtube to see if I could find it and I guess I remember it wrong. Its called "Death Race" not Death Race 2000. Must have mixed it up with the movie. ANYWAY, this game :

15. neilold

Nope never seen it before. It like kinda fun though because of the twisted element of it. The sound when you hit someone sounds like it was sampled from space Invaders

16. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Isn’t this @kry102001 ’s neck of the Woods?

17. neilold

Dunno is it? Perhaps that's where he is

18. BigOleDummy

I think they only made like 500 of them. Like I said, the church people and the morality police went totally stupid crazy about it, at least over here. Lol, actually that's the main reason I ever played it :-D at all.

19. neilold

I think our country's religious guardians would be unbotherred by it. The UK doesn't have such evangelical Christians as yours though. However the government does tend to be the moral overload though. So we don't have the freedom that your amendments grant your country, it's sort of a trade off

20. neilold

This is why the UK censors movies more over here. Type the video nasty scandal in Google to see what I mean. Which was, ironically, a big influence in me getting into horror originally