Hoping to go this place soon

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jan 5, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Getting perilously close to getting me ranting, so I won't be commenting on this part of the conversation after this. BUT, yes we sure do have a very vocal and very politically active "evangelical christian" minority here. And they are to a person republican. They are all for "freedom" as long as you think and believe exactly like they do, if you don't? Well, then your rights don't really mean anything to them. They want the whole country under ONE "god", THEIR god it goes without saying. They actively seek and WANT the end of the world so they can "see and be with god". To hell with the rest of us who would like to see the world go on living. ( I KNOW many of these people, hell my Mom and Sister are like that!) Our freedoms enshrined in the Constitution mean nothing to them except when it comes to THEIR support. "Separation of Church and State"? Blasphemy! Since their god is the "only true god" then everyone else's god is by definition a ploy of "satan". Because if you believe YOUR god is the end all be all then it stands to reason that everything YOU want and hope for is superior to what I want and hope for. god is on your/their side , right?
    [​IMG]
    I'm done.................... sorry for the mini rant.

But if you ever see Death Race, drop a quarter (or British equivalent ), just to say you did :-D!

Abe likes this.
  2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I liked how you said you would not be commenting, then went into a rant regardless!!:-)

FeeBee likes this.
  3. BigOleDummy

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

So.......................... you noticed , huh?

4. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

How did we get from an Arcade in Bury to this?

BigOleDummy likes this.
  5. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I was at an arcade the other night for like ten hours. It was all digital - the tokens and the tickets. Kinda felt weird not to have to fold up wads of tickets to stuff them in my pocket. Didn't just have ticket spitters, though, it also had a really good collection of other games, especially loads of classic fighters.

6. neilold

Cool, where was that at Abe?

7. BigOleDummy

Lol, why......... it evolved of course, much like Humans!

Pembers likes this.
  8. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Most the arcades are gone now. I don't even know where any are. I have only played arcade games one or two times on trips to other towns that still had arcades at the time.

There used to be an arcade in the main street and another one at the video shop on the side street. I think the one in the main street vanished when I was between 4-6 because in the early 90s I never went into it and remember walking past it wishing I could go in and play. My younger sister doesn't remember the arcade and I don't think she remember the news agent being at the top of the steet because we only walked past the arcade when going to the news agent, it moved to the bottom of the street not long after the arcade close. I cannot remember the exact location of the arcade. Main street has changed a lot since 2012.

The arcade in the video shop vanished when DVD's came out so late 90s early 2000s and became a solicitars office. And the video shop fully closed around 2006 and became a pizza shop.

9. neilold

UK arcades are different than US ones we've never really had those ticket machine games. It's only in the past decade that they've appeared over here, and it tends to be non digital, i.e you get reams of tickets, and it's not from aracade games, just those 'skill' game things, and even now loads of arcades still don't do them and its a pretty sporadic thing. I always used to wonder what kids were doing in US movies when there was an arcade scene and they had tickets in their hands and a prize stall

10. neilold

arcades are a thing of the past feebee. Gaming consoles effectively killed them off. That's one thing i'll always hold against the console gaming industry. As much as I love home gaming, and being able to play a lot of the old arcade games on consoles, I'll always despise the industry for effectively killing off those kinda places. It wasn't just the games, it was the smell of the places, the multitude of deafening noises, the excitement of seeing new games, the people there, and the whole social aspect of it that was lost

BigOleDummy likes this.
  11. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

@neilold, which is sad because I remember being attracted to arcades as a child and looking forward to being able to go when I was older, before I even knew what a video game was. I've always loved my video games.

Shopping arcades (which have nothing to do with gaming) seem to be almost a thing of the past as well.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  12. BigOleDummy

My first non-High School date with my, at the time, future wife was spent mostly in an arcade. And yes, the social aspect of them , as @neilold mentioned, was almost as good as the playing.

13. neilold

Yup, something of a sadness envelops me every time I think about it