How Do They Get There?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Smegerama, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

So, we know they get to Earth, but how?

By the Dimension Hopping Leviathan?

By Kaerina's gadget from the trailer?

Carbug?

From the episode synopsis, I'd say number 2.

Discuss.

2. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

[Spoilers]

From the latest trailer, it seems very apparent they get there via some Series VIII style contraption that shoots a beam into a wall and opens a portal to another universe, which appears to be being overseen by Big Suze.

Infact I'd say it's more than apparent, it's *in* the trailer. :P

3. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

I'd say it's got to be Katerina, but what of the Dimension thing? The fact that it's a dimension hopping thing, says to me that it's there way to get to another Dimension, but not to Earth. After all, Ace Rimmer, who I hope is in it :P, never managed to Dimension Jump to other areas of the galaxy as far as I'm aware...

4. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

well here's what I supect

NOTE: MAYBE POSSIBLY RIGHT SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

I feel they find the levaithan and it is or it has a componant that could help them cross dimisions but they have no idea on how to use it so they revive Katrina and she make the machine and transports them to the "Earth" they reach.

maybe a little lack of detail but that's what I think

5. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

I think, judging by the little bit of information we have so far, that the Cat's entrance behind the scenes vid gives the most away as to how they get there.

In the video they say it is a little homage to Cat's original entrance, ie coming out of a vent. Looks awfully like he's coming out of a TV.

So, I'm going to suggest that Katerina's device does indeed allow them to cross dimensions, but perhaps not in the way you're thinking. Her device brings them into OUR dimension, as in the dimension where Red Dwarf is a television programme and there's a special episode going out on a channel called Dave. (Which is how the SFX magazine comes in to it).

Naturally alarmed at being in a world claiming they are fictional characters they make several attempts to get back through into their original world inside the TV, and in doing so, end up briefly in Coronation Street?

But who knows? ;-)

6. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

Ace Rimmer could travel though dimensions and space while dimension jumping, the reason I say this is because he starts off in our solar system and ends up in deep space with our rimmer.

The reason given is that whoever is jumping ends up in close proximity to an alternat version of themselves.

But this may just be ace rimmers ship technology that works like this!

7. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I think I am the only one here who doesn't reallybknow what a leviathan is. Well I thought it was the name of the plauge ship that contained the Epideme virus. Not watched series 7 and 8 since there DVD release though and even then I only got them to finish my set.

Anyway, how is this going to be used to Dimension jump?

Cheers guys

8. mrtomjohn

mrtomjohn Skutter

A leviathan is also a water based beast (final fantasy 8 REPRESENT!!). The Leviathan ship crash landed on an ice planet if my memory serves me correctly.

Methinks that the dwarfers total the leviathan in the first episode, then katerina lobadobodob (whatever her last name is) nabs the dimension jumping capabilities from its brain to create a dimension jumping machine which takes them to an earth where their universe (the RD universe) is an actual TV show and our universe is real.

9. jaybo1973

Cheers for that :-) Should of done my wiki research. Thought I had forgot something. Yes, the more I see and hear, it certainly looks like they come into our world or TV world :-) could the craig charles character in coranation street be another lister or spanners?

10. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

I think it has to be ‘our’ earth they come to, with Red Dwarf as a sitcom & they somehow (& hopefully briefly) end up on the Corrie set. The clue is in the title, Back To Earth, very similar to Back To Reality where, as we all know, the boys form da dwarf discovered they weren’t real just characters in a video game.

So, maybe the Blade Runner homage in the trailer is a clip from a Red Dwarf movie that is being made in this world?

Just reading the synposis for the 3rd episode has also made me think that it HAS to be our earth -

Knowing they are destined to die, the Dwarfers head to a mysterious address in London to plead for more life.

They are going to the house of Doug Naylor! To ask him to rewrite the end so they don't die!!!

11. TheSinisterMrX

TheSinisterMrX Third Technician

Yeah.. and Rob Grant is the guy with the bullets. :lol:

Awesome minds think alike!! I hope like hell we're both wrong.

12. jaybo1973

God i hope you are wrong :-(

13. TriggerHappyCathal

TriggerHappyCathal Third Technician

I really hope Back to Earth is NOT set in the real world! Otherwise it will just completely ruin the trilogy! However, now its starting to make sense why they were on the Corrie set.....

14. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

this theory would also lead to explain why in this behind the scenes trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_m2PG1kUI

at around the 5min mark, they grabbed 2 passing RD fans who happened to be wearing Ace Rimmer t-shirts at the time and allowed them to walk throught the shot with the cast looking back over thier shoulders in surprise / disbelief / confusion (take your pick) as they see them.

(can someone tell me how to hyperlink on here please, cheers)

15. jaybo1973

All our fears seem to be confirmed. From the interview on BBC news this morning, they do indeed come to our reality, meet craig charles on the corie set and go in search of Doug.

I hope it is better than it sounds :-(

16. connell

connell First Technician

Damn, I hope it will be good!

17. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Just remember, Doug wouldn't purposefully do a bad storyline. Or would he? I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!! AHHHHHHH!