how many skutters and what are their numbers

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by columritchie, Jul 31, 2011.

1. columritchie

columritchie Skutter

I remember years ago trying to locate how many skutters there were in RD

some ppl say 4, but you only ever see 2

they had individual numbers if I remember, however I can now only locate that there was a Skutter 169, does anyone know what the numbers of the other Skutters were ?

Cheers

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think there were only a couple of actual models, but 'in-world' as it were, I think there are supposed to be hundreds, if not thousands. Red Dwarf is a ship five miles long after all!

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Is it ever stated in the TV series? In a deleted scene from The End Lister refers to Rimmer as ranking below the four service droids, but deleted scenes can't be considered part of the canon.

From what I remember there are hundreds of skutters in the novels. Rimmer is also responsible for killing great numbers of them by causing them to explode through overwork and accidentally crushing them with giant pistons.

4. columritchie

columritchie Skutter

Yes, I know there are 'hundreds' of Skutters in the books.

however I should have been a little clearer and stated, physically in the TV show only ?

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I know you meant the TV series, but I brought up the novels as I thought people might find it interesting.

6. columritchie

columritchie Skutter

it is interesting :-D,

just realised I wasn't 100% clear in what I was asking

7. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I'm currently rewatching for review purposes, I'm up to episode 2.2. In The End, Lister makes reference to 4 service droids, one of them having gone mad. Up to the point I'm at, there's only 2 skutters ever shown,with the numbers 129 and 4457. Rimmer even jokingly referes to them as "Pinky" and "Perky", indicating there are only two of them working. It's unclear whether these are the ones that are eventually called "Bob" and "Madge" when the Dwarf is rebuilt in season 7.

Yes, the novels state there are hundreds, but then the novels also say the ships' compliment is in the thousands, where in the show it was only 169.

8. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The service robots may not necessarily mean the skutters, but other robots we don't see. They may be slightly more sophisticated robots used for more complicated repair work that Rimmer is considered not important enough to do.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

1000 was added to that in later series, what with the ship being 5 miles long and all. That was why I assumed there were likely hundreds (maybe even thousands) of skutters, although no number was actually stated. (There's the four service droids, but I'd either take that to be another kind of robot we haven't seen yet, or just the skutters assigned to their particular shift.) The numbers on the skutters would suggest there's supposed to be lots of the blighters.