How will it all end?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by stevenrankin, Nov 6, 2009.

1. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

Now Hopefully this wont be for a long time, but how do we think Red Dwarf should end when it does. Will Lister gets his dream at Fuji will Kryten and talkie toaster get married (I know it's stupid) will Rimmer become smeg-head god, what do u think, they can be as silly as you want. enjoy

p.s I couldn't think of one for cat maybe, will he find a tardis full of clothes

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It will end with Red Dwarf crash landing on Earth destroying everything on it and Lister swapping insurance details with the survivors....oh wait, that was during Doug's own "bit crap" period and thankfully was left unfilmed.

I really hope that it will end with Lister getting to Fiji and finishing his plan (not getting lost and ending up on Fuji :-) ).

Did anyone notice that in BTE, Lister has a picture of a woman in a white dress riding a horse and a picture of Fiji? It looks like he has remembered his plan. I hope Doug Naylor has too.

I also think it might be fun if just as it seems Lister is going to catch up with KK she finds a way to go back to her own Lister and tells him "I was never really your Kochanski". Lister gets Maudalin and stops shaving growing a big beard. Rimmer in an attempt to show him how proper facial hair shold be worn grows a pencil moustache. Then something happens that throws the group temporarily back in time to before the accident. Lister realises this is his chance to get "his" Kochanski and he sets off to woo and wed CP Grogan (ala Future Echoes) before the time window closes. They could do a whole episode combining old footage like Star Trek did with the Trouble with Tribbles one.

3. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

They are in Solar sistem.... They can't believe it but there it is, Pluto, Neptun, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars... and finaly Earth.
    They are watching it estaticly.... But time mashine was broken and they are 3 milion years in the future again....

4. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

As it should end: Lister buying himself a little farm on Fiji. Getting a sheep and a cow, and breeding horses.

5. pole85

pole85 First Technician

what with a sheep and a cow?!

6. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

It should end with Red Dwarf arriving back in orbit around Earth. The crew leave Red Dwarf for the last time and head down to Earth in Starbug to discover that in their time away Mankind hasn't really changed that much. Due to their tales of misadventures and being a relic from the distant past, the boys become the centre of worldwide news.

Rimmer steals a lot of the glory for returning the ship back to Earth and paints himself as the hero of the tale and how he bravely led the 'cowardly' Lister, Cat and Kryten through the weirdness they encountered in Deep Space. He recieves various meaningless awards, promotions and medals and becomes the toast of the Admiralty. Women are drawn to his fame and fortune, thus giving Rimmer the shallow happiness he has long desired.

Cat became an international style icon and celebrity overnight, eventually gaining him his own TV show. The show is just Cat staring into a mirror for an hour each day, going on about how pretty he is. The show becomes a ratings smash hit.

Kryten engages his 'cash-in mode' and releases his own line of cleaning products. He goes on a world tour, cleaning public lavatories the world over, performing in front of thousands of fans.

Finally, it then cuts to Lister sitting back and relaxing in a deckchair. We can see a small, modest farmhouse in the background and a few livestock grazing (couple of sheep, cows, horses, chickens etc.). It then slowly pulls back to show that whilst Lister has managed to get his drainage grant and start a farm, the rest of Fiji is still underwater.

7. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Now that's what I call an ending! one thing though... you gotta make sure Cat "gets his end away".

8. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Lol No, with horses and horses

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

If they ever do get back to Earth in their own time, I hope the population isn't just the same. I suppose that would be a bit of a twist considering one would expect either a desolate world and/or with another species having evolved, but it feels too.... Better than Life. Unreal.

I quite liked the Movie idea and I'm curious how that would have worked out... I.e. were these sapienoids just cyborgs akin to the Cybermen or Borg, bearing in mind this is a whopping 3 million years in the future? Or was it a kind of evolution of biological and mechanical at the cellular, even molecular level? If the movie artwork that was shown a year or two back is truly representative of what they were going for the sapienoids (assuming that what she is) were very different from what I'd imagine of such creatures. (Which is a good thing.)

10. PCz911

PCz911 Third Technician

Hang a second. Where was the old movie plot shown? I don't recall seeing it at all.

11. bedfordfalls

What? No Kochanski riding the horses in a white dress?

Other than that, this is a very good ending.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It was a while back now. Not a full plot mind, just a brief introductory synopsis. It'll be in the news section somewhere I'd imagine.

13. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

It is.

14. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Red Dwarf splashdowns straight down to the seabed of the pacific ocean. Resulting Tsunami wipes mankind off the face of the planet. Lister and Kochanski are the only survivors.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Thanks. After writing that I did have a look around but couldn't find that article.

16. bedfordfalls

Scarily close to what Doug almost went with in series 8. Is this actually the ending you want though? Killing off Cat and Kryten?

17. bedfordfalls

Kind of funny how they shoved Lister right to the back on the promotional flyer despite the fact he's arguably the central character while Bobby Llew gets centre stage to emphasise in big black capital letters: LOOK ITS GOT A ROBOT IN IT: THIS IS SCIENCE FICTION!

18. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Last time I checked, Kryten and Cat weren't members of mankind...

Red Dwarf survives by bouncing off the seabed and remains bouyant in the pacific ocean. The Red Dwarf posse are alive and well - with is more than can be said for everybody else on the planet!

Yes, it's dangerously close to what Doug proposed in Series 8 - by its very nature. I actually want to see Red Dwarf splashdown! I enjoyed the Enterprise-D razing a forest and Voyager skidding across an ice scape and want to see how big a splash Red Dwarf would make.

Killing off Humanity was really just for irony's sake. Fans complaining about how Lister is no longer 'the last human alive' will be forced to watch the drowning of the rest of the species, by Lister's actions no less.

Besides, VIII also taught us that society would only attempt to lower Lister into some servantile role where he would never get his dream. It would provide distraction that could tear up him and Kochanski. So I've destroyed society.

Let's just face facts people. Red Dwarf has always had something smegged up. The radiation leak, the swappped hologram disks, the vitally needed medical supplies... need I really go on? All I did was follow the same formula in the very last episode. A final, grand, cinematic flamingo up to out on. That's not even the worst place we could leave Red Dwarf. Lister could get back to earth, lose everybody and end up painting a new vessel! Or he get cut up by paleontologists! Or he could get die alone on some planet 3 million years into deep space. If something bad has to happen, I'd rather it removed problems rather cause it - I'd rather it made the posse happier or least nonchalant.

19. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    The crew finally manage to get back to Earth only to find that the human race has evolved exponentially, almost into another species. Lister (and possibly Kochanski) is (are) an entire evolutionary step down from everyone else on the planet, like chimps are to rocket scientists. This inability to reintegrate back into normal society, or what normal has become in three million years, could spur the crew into deciding that Earth is no longer the place they want to be and they decide to leave the planet forever and never come back, exploring the universe for the rest of time.

20. bedfordfalls

I see. But for the record, last time I checked the phrase "only survivors" meant just that so I think it was reasonable for me to assume that you'd killed everyone else off..