How will it all end?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by stevenrankin, Nov 6, 2009.

1. pbellosom

pbellosom Skutter

I've always liked the idea that Rimmer will finally discover the captain's message in the dot in the "i" of his swimming certificates and go on to lead Lister to his destiny as God and jumpstart the second big bang.

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I believe it's mentioned in the documentary on the series 8 disk. An alternate ending. Curiously it's not mentioned among the alternate endings in the leaflet though, which makes me wonder if Doug was really seriously considering it. Personally I dislike it.

3. archie918

archie918 Second Technician

It would have been better than the end of Only The Good

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Not really as with that ending in place we never would have gotten Back to Earth, just a horrible ending to a mostly horrible final series instead of a horrible cliffhanger at the end of a mostly horrible series. In retrospect, now that we've had Back to Earth I'm no longer so upset by the unecessary nature of that cliffhanger and its poor attempt at replicating the suspense of Out of Time.

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

They arrive back on earth to discover the human race has died out.... and evolved again! Only they're all cavemen still. Lister finds a cute cavewoman who looks like kochanski and lives in a nice cave trying to make curries and beer. Cat gets some cavewomen too and even Rimmer does, but Kryten spends all his time trying to invent things, the wheel, fire etc. A bit Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy though.... Or they're still very primative but they're 21st century style people like us. History is subtley different but very similar. A band like the beatles exist - and are still together because someone shot yoko instead of John, England won the war of independance and still own America which is called "England Two" Hitler was a famous painter and Picasso was a dictator etc. Or they've all evolved with with 2 penises. Or the whole planet is full of cat people who took over the world.

6. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

They jump start the second big bang. Simples.

7. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

It should end open ended. Thus leaving our own imaginations as to what happens. Most story archs or series that end in a certain way can really wind up others who wanted the programme to finish in a different way. So I say when (in many years time) they decide to stop doing RD, after series 25 (or there abouts) just have RD flying off into the distance. Maybe with Holly saying "I think I can get us home quickly....... maybe......... possibly"

RAGE

8. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    *hits Jack with a wet kipper for quoting that advert*

9. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    Ah, the Quantum Leap First Inversion. Nice!

10. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I know I'm bumping a thread but...
    I think that the ending should be left open, just leave them drifting through space. If they get home it will annoy the people who think the whole point is that they don't get home. A cliffhanger could work, as long as it it as good as the Out of Time cliffhanger, not like the end of Only the Good... I think they should have something like this...

... then right at the end find out that they are still in deep space, and are playing Better Than Life, like at the end of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers.

11. The_Original_Cat

The_Original_Cat Third Technician

Lister finally decides he wants to leave Better Than Life and escapes his gamehead existance, finds himself on Mimas and walks into the Jupiter Mining Corporation recruitment office.

He picks up the pen, wipes his brow and pauses with pen mid air.

It's cold outside there's no kind of atmosphere..........................

The End

12. DeanField2686

DeanField2686 Third Technician

i think that in the final series ( XI,XII, or what ever series it ends) the crew slowly finds a course to earth but in stead showing them land on earth, just a shot of the ship drifting through the galaxy and seeing earth in the distance... i have been let down by so many show in the last couple of years with crap and pointless endings and cliffhangers , look at BSG,lost,heros,TSCC.:evil:

we all know listers dreams are to have a farm in fiji with the girl of his dreams but do we really need to see it, best keep it simple and not make a great series end like the named above. :-D

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Good idea. Or maybe the last shot is of the gangs faces, we hear the ship door open & see the sunlight on their faces as they smile. Freezeframe. The big orchestral version of the theme kicks in. The End.

14. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I think it should tie into stasis leak where Lister marries KK (the original one) But we dont want to see KK again until the very last episode, not as a regular character anyway. we need to learn more about the Cat arks too

15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I don't think they should end up getting back to earth, I think if /when it ends it should all go horribly wrong and be a complete pointless ending showing how pointless and pathetic there years in space were and led to nothing. Mirroring real life really, and how (some) people just drift through life and at the end realize there was not a lot of direction. :?

16. toby44

toby44 Third Technician

it will be like a movie i saw....attack of the killer gooseberries

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I actually hope they do reach Earth. I hope that's not the final end though, or that Earth isn't what they hoped for. I am interested to see what Naylor's views of earth 3 million years in the future is. And I'm not suggesting they end on Earth...

18. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

It sounds like a fair compromise to me. :-)

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

That would be awful.

20. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

A series set on a crashed Red Dwarf could be interesting. I kind of like the visual of the ship jutting out of the ground.