How would Rik Mayall fare aboard Red Dwarf?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JJSMEG, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JJSMEG

JJSMEG Third Technician

For the last couple of days, as I've been watching Red Dwarf, I keep seeing "bits" of Rik Mayall in Rimmer and Lister. I'll keep this post decidedly vague because I have nothing else to clarify it with. The nagging question is, "Could Rik Mayall have been a long-lost Dwarf crew member?" Maybe it is because I have an extreme bias towards Rik, and the shows/productions he has been involved in (that long precedes my interest in Red Dwarf)which lead me to speculate such possible alternatives; probably the case. Could he have been a "Rimmer"? Well, XXXX, could Mayall be a long lost dwarfer? :idea::?:

2. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

LANGUAGE!!!:x

Gotta love Rik.:-) I reckon he would only add to the tensions on the ship, though.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He's a great comedy actor but in my view the wrong kind of person for a show like Red Dwarf. His style is much better suited to more wacky programmes like the Young Ones, Bottom and Filthy, Rich & Catflap.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

His Captain Flashheart character could be a Cat, I guess.

5. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Captain Flashheart is just a less well worked out Ace Rimmer. If Captain Flashheart has a future version (which seems likely as he has Elizabethan and WWI versions), he would be a poor second to Ace Rimmer.

Actually, I can't think of a character strongly associated with Rik Mayall that has the depth to work in Red Dwarf. If some of the lines in dwarf sound a little 'Mayallesque', they probably come from the uninhibited, most reactionary facets of the characters. So, perhaps Rik could be the uninhibited element of one of the characters brought out by that virus from 'Confidence and Paranoia'.

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

...or Red Dwarf Series 8.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Good point. He could have played Birdman in the manner of Mad Gerald in Blackadder.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

A good comparison. Vanity and sexual proclivities aside, I think they're actually quite different at their core though. Ace Rimmer, despite being rather full of himself does seem to be quite decent in his core, a real hero. Flashheart is incredibly selfish. He'll do the heroics, but he's ultimately all out for himself.

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I always think of him playing that character as Mad Gerald too.

Rik Mayall is actually quite a good actor, he's been in various serious plays and films where he plays the "straight" man (non comedy role) but does tend to be more known for his wacky characters. I personally think he could fit in quite well to Red Dwarf as a guest star, but not as his Rik/Richie part from The young ones/Bottom.

Slightly off topic this, but i always thought the talkie toilet gag in series 1 was very much a young ones type gag. Amost identical to a few gags in that show in fact.

10. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

I hated him in the Young Ones.
    I hated him in Drop Dead Fred.
    I haven't seen him in anything else. But based on those two performances, I'd probably just give up on RD forever if he ever joined the cast...