how would you like to see Red Dwarf end?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Robert26, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

1.Happy ending. Lister gets back together with Kochanski and returns to Earth or a similar planet.
    2.Bleak ending. The crew die
    3.Cliffhanger. Fans can then keep discussing how they would resolve it.
    4.No ending. Just have a normal episode as the last one.
    5.Semi happy ending. Lister doesn't find Kochanski or he has to leave her. The crew find a desert island somewhere and drink fresh mango juice.

2. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

Fresh mango juice sounds like Lister's idea of pure hell if it's non-alcoholic and that's all there was :lol:

It's a tough one as they've already used a few storylines which could have ended the series already. Such as bringing the entire Dwarf crew back to life which never came to a satisfactory conclusion, and they've been back to earth a few times although in different circumstances such as being part of a TV show, or in a virtual reality computer simulation game all along.

As Lister, probably Kochanski and also Cat are the last of their species, perhaps if Cat can find himself a feline, along with Lister and Kochanski they can repopulate their race somewhere and start over.

But then nobody knows yet if Earth is still inhabited with humans. This we would still like to know so I think they still need to find their way back there. and make it at least a double or triple episode. I think they need to bring back Holly for the finale too.

I was got to thinking that maybe the last episode of this series 10 could be the finale as it's aptly titled "The Beginning" as if in contrast to the very first episode titled "The End". Could it be so?

I have no idea, but it's going to have to be clever and original which I don't think will be easy to pull off. I certainly don't want it to end as just another episode like any other, and I think it would be too sad to see them die unless it works totally in their favour.

And definitely DO NOT end it on a cliffhanger :x

3. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I would say that it should end with them getting within range of Earth again and finding that there are life signs. Then it could be left open ended as to what they would find when they got down there.

4. luckvirus

luckvirus Skutter

Lister is despondent after realizing the universe in which Kochanzki and Lister are together is an alternate dimension. After trying to dimension jump they inadvertedly enter the end of the universe but are wiped out by the big crunch. This leads to a pan in of a elementary school classroom watching red dwarf where it is explained that time now indeed does start when lister leaves stasis. In this dimension the kids are found to be learning high level string theory in 1st grade and the dimension with lister and kochanski together is a reference string for the whole universe. Eventually, a scene where a very large kochanski enters the ship.
    and lister quips that the chef most of died from eating his own cooking. Kochanski is a bit less sophisticated then the kochanski
    from the parallel universe from earlier seasons and at first is despondent but relents and decides to give her a big sloppy kiss. Later, Lister is asked to go on a supply run and lister desperately asks kryten for the dimension jumper. Kryten says that Lister
    is being a pompous buffon, smeghead, and well like rimmer. lister is stunned. lister says he can now reprogram kryten so he'll
    reveal the location of the dimension jumper but decides he can't do it. rimmer overhears the conversation and decides he can help lister as long as they visit a dimension where rimmer and hiss descendants have conquered and enslaved the whole universe. The solution is to press a very small button located under kryten's foot labeled obey. kryten explains that the button doesn't work, and ends up tying them both up. After feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt. kryten moans at the tied up lister and rimmer and hands lister the dimension jumper while their still tied up. lister presses it and a massive surge of electricity
    shocks him frying his hair. The Cat walks and says what happened to your hair, you should really get that fixed. there are women
    here. The Cat has 9 women next to him and they walk into the cat's quarters. The Cat lifts up his hands and goes meow and the
    women animalistically follow in after him. What the hell just happened? Well lets see were running low on supplies, we have 9 new people on board, and were permanently stuck in deep space for the rest of eternity. rimmer says smeg.

5. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

That's actually pretty infuriatingly good for a cliffhanger finale. Just seeing the starbug slowly disappearing into the atmosphere whilst we hear them all arguing amongst themselves and trading insults on what they might find when they land :lol:

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I hope we get to see what has happened to Earth in their present day, but I hope it's not populated by humans, at least not the present day variety. An evolved species maybe?

Considering the novels, I rather liked the (highlight between tags to see)
    garbage world
    outcome.

I'm not convinced it should end on Earth though. But I hope he gets back together with Kochanski. Although being his mum is a bit dodgy.

7. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Lister gets back to Earth and to celebrate goes on a Monopoly Board Pub Crawl...

:P

8. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Here's a rather long explanation of what I'd like:

Look at Scrubs. It's ending was perfect. Yeah, one could argue that it was 'Hollywood' and 'cheap', but it wasn't. What it did, rather well I feel, was show us, the audience, that the characters are going to live on. That they're going to marry, have children, live good lives full of joy and jokes, ups and downs, and that there will be another generation. That the children are just like their parents, that they'll have all the same adventure in life. It was the greatest ending to a TV show ever, because even though it was gone, it was still there. They were still living their lives, still doing what made them great. It retained and enforced the show's character.

Friends, meanwhile, destroyed the entire show. They separated. They talked about never seeing each other. Whereas Scrubs left me with a smile and comforted by the fact we were told 'they're still there, doing what they do', Friends turned around and said 'these characters are dead, and their lives have ceased'. It felt too final, too much of a final bow.

I want Red Dwarf to end like Scrubs, firm in the knowledge that they're happy, living their lives. And it wouldn't be a Hollywood ending for Dwarf, because after 25 years of this show and seeing all the crap they've been through, they deserve it.

Lister should find Kochanski. Get back to Earth. Get their farm on Fiji. Probably on stilts. Cat would be delighted - surrounded by fish and relaxation. Kryten would continue to serve. And Rimmer? He'd explore that alien Earth, occasionally popping in to see the gang and bore them to death with slideshows.

I wouldn't want to see them carry on in space. They would get old. Lister would die. Rimmer would disappear. Cat would be lost. Kryten would wander forever alone. And that wouldn't be a happy ending.

In RDX, we've seen hints of the conclusion. Dave telling Dave to find Kochanski, build a home, live your dreams out and have a good life. It's the first sign of the end, like it or not. Build a farm. It's obviously a take on Of Mice and Men, with Lenny and his chickens and his farm. For the last 25 years, we've seen Lister more likely to get the bullet than the farm. I'd like to see him get what he wants, and most importantly, that would fulfil the premise of the show.

And I'd like that.

9. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

That sort of stuff could be mentioned but not filmed in my opinion. In fact, perhaps it could only be done with a text crawl as they did at the start of Series III.

10. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

They could always go back to Earth to find it completely populated by Cats :-D

11. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

They crash land on the planet of the nymphomaniacs.

12. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

No ending.

The thing about RD is it feels like a few guys trapped in space on a long journey where no one knows the end. If they ended back on earth (or some similar kind of conclusion) then when I rewatched any of the episodes I'd always be thinking about that, and it would detract from the series as a whole.

RAGE

13. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

This
    I think if they found Earth it would kind of defeat the whole point of the entire series.

14. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Same if they return in "present" What would happen with Cat? He would be in some laboratory all life. And what with robot from the future like Kryten would be then? Probably something like series 8.....
    I don't know how Rimmer would ended. Lister would be just watching what's happening to Cat and Kryten....

15. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I don't know how it should end, but I'd like the final episode to be like this.

16. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Either a happy ending where the crew return back in time to Earth as they left it, and live happy lives with Fiji, becoming famous with their advanced knowledge of space from their adventures, and Cat becoming a famously fashionable dude, OR a Cliffhanger, but a GOOD cliffhanger. Something like how Futurama left off with the last movie.

17. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I don't want it to end- the characters are far from a natural end, I feel.

If it does end prematurely - before the show feels like the characters have nowhere fresh to explore, I'd like everything to conclude nicely whether that means going to earth or whatnot, I'm sure doug could handle it tastefully

18. Ally1990

I think if they get back to Earth, one must ascertain what has become of humanity. Think about all the threats to our species: mega-tsunamis, super volcanoes, nuclear war, massive earthquakes, asteroid impacts, disease, famine, global warming, flooding and extreme weather, and then there's the Moon - when it buggers off we're screwed. If there's still a humanity left, it'll be a miracle.

Then again, if there are humans, perhaps the boys will be revered. This mining ship from three million plus years ago reappears. Who's the know what happened back on Earth? Perhaps the loss of Red Dwarf had a terrible impact on JMC and became the story of the age. Perhaps it was never forgotten. Perhaps it was the Titanic of that generation. So going back might be a bad thing, because Lister wouldn't want that life.

I've always taken getting to Earth as the premise of the show. Mining ship, massive accident, get home. Surely them not getting home would be sad? Or has the story changed enough in 25 years for the Dwarf to 'be' home?

I don't know. But yes, let's hope it doesn't end anytime soon.

19. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I quite like the heroic return idea... something like this would be cool (I'm not a writer so be nice :P)

The dwarfers return to earth, and much to their surprise, the human race has survived, largely unevolved for 3 billion years. However, the economy has collapsed, and the world is controlled by JMC's rival company, Envirocon who after the stock fall cause by Red Dwarf's loss took over its competitor, and grew and grew until it owned all of the world economy, except for a large quantity of wealth that is missing. They single handedly repossessed the earth, leaving the population in desolation and poverty.

The return of the Dwarfers is haled as the day the earth is saved. Thanks to his absence, Lister's bank account has matured, being revealed as the large amount of missing money. He is actually far richer than Envirocon and buys them out.

He is revered, and Him, cat, kryten and rimmer are hailed as heroes and made into kings. However, after becoming disolusioned with his life of fame, and finding out the Rimmer has lost everything due to his self loathing, Kryten has been dismantled to help rebuild the cities, and Cat has been taken to have experiments run on him, he races to save them, and they blast off in Starbug using a hop drive.

Once in deep space, they destroy the hop drive, opting to live together in deep space, continuing their oddesy as the boys from the Dwarf.

20. Ally1990

^ You may as well claim to be a writer. A lot of people do that on here. But not me.

As a science-fiction writer, I really like your idea. It's crazy enough to fit into the Dwarf universe. Nice idea.