How would you like your Series X DVD?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MooMooYew, Feb 2, 2012.

1. MooMooYew

MooMooYew Third Technician

Sorry if this subject has already been discussed.

Aesthetically I would love if the case design was along the same lines of the BBC DVD's, also including the booklet of recording/trivia information written by Andrew. I just feel those were perfect and it would only seem natural to return to that design.

I'm a big fan of the Red Dwarf University Challenge, Can't Smeg Won't Smeg etc... promotional appearances. I'd like to see another of those. I'm sure Dave has a show they can revive for a Red Dwarf special? It would be great advertising for the new series and a good way to peak interest before the show begins airing.

What would you like to see included on the DVD set? Something special and different?
    Ignoring the usual smeg ups, trailers, music cues etc... of course as they are a given.

Discuss! :P

2. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Well, the mobisodes could be an interesting distraction. I really just want to see the Skutter fight. Oh & a humour filled intro disowning them.

How about a dub of Chris signing the Rimmer munchkin song? That way it's on a DVD so everybody can stop asking him to do so.

Another 10 most asked questions about Red Dwarf. The one about merchandise is explicitly mentioned being sent by Doug Naylor. Comments on this is third time he's sent that question in also welcome.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'll be honest...although it might put the Cat among the pigeons here.

I'd rather the DVD's be devoid of any "fan" stuff, whether they be "Fan commentaries", "fan films" or cringeworthy segments shot at conventions.

Sorry but I find them embarassing, excrutiating to watch and something that should be left to youtube.

The well produced, thorough and interesting documentaries of the previous DVD's should definately return though.

4. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I think the Dimension Jump stuff was worth it for the one shot of all the various Dwarf cosplays ending with someone dressed as cuboid Kryten after his visit to the Garbage compactor in Psirens!

The idea of him waddling to/from the hotel and around the convention all day really set me off! :twisted:

Idea for a DVD feature: Y U NO GIVE US HOLLY, detailing specifically why the character wasn't used in BTE and X
    Let's face it, Norman's planning his tell all book, so why not get in a pre-emptive strike and get the TRUTH out first?

5. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Oh I like fan-based things (as long as they're done right). I think a Fan Commntary would be a great idea, I love listening to views of other fans. I think footage of Dimension Jump would also be a nice thing to include on the DVD, especially the part where Doug announces the new Series!

6. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Red Dwarf argumental! In character too! I can just imagine when The game where they have to change their opinion against the buzzer (I havent seen many episodes) he could act out a glitch and change his mind!

It's just a suggestion though... :-)

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf QI or Have I got news for you. Those are two specials I think I would enjoy.

8. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Aesthetically I'd like something new, new box art which while does have some key features of earlier box art, e.g Lister and Rimmer in the bottom left would still show something a little more modernized and epic looking, maybe like a hybrid of the BTE and classic box arts with a huge red Dwarf logo with a colourful background with an image of the ship and the cast.
    In terms of the DVD features I'm happy with them staying the same as all other RD DVDs, e.g smeg ups, documentaries on each episode, web videos, deleted scenes, trailers and of course the standard play all/episode selection/scene selection options.

Here's a little fan cover I did using Back to Earth as a template:
    [​IMG]

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I've lost all hope of ever seeing Universe Challenge on a future DVD release.

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I've lost all hope of seeing Universe Challenge on a future DVD release.

11. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

I second the mobisodes and DVD Blu-Ray box sets in the BBC stylie for sure

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it's a pity that never turned up on a DVD. It was my favourite part of Red Dwarf Night. But at least it's up on Youtube.

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That Kryten is disturbing...if that's what he looks like in Series Ten then I can see why people are freaked out! :lol:

14. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Yes I doctored the image of Kryten from BTE to have the RDX mask. The same with cat's hair. If you're worried about Kryten's new look that version of the mask wasn't completely painted and glued so the actual mask should look slightly better.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I'm just going to leave it for you to decide whether you definitely want to leave this comment here.

You know, considering who the person with ultimate power over the forum is.

Ahem.

Cough.

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

i think the cant smeg wont smeg stuff they did worked so well cos the actors such as chris barrie, danny john jules and robert all have enough charisma and wit to make it work and bounce off each other quite easily. Thats why one of these would work quite well.

17. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

If it is two discs:
    Disc 1:
    Episode 1-6
    Commentary by Craig, Chris, Danny and Rob
    Commentary by Doug Naylor and Andrew Ellard

Disc 2:
    Series X Making of Documentary - A mammoth 3 hour run through the making of Series X

Disc 3:
    Deleted Scenes
    Smeg Ups
    Raw FX Footage
    Trails and Continuities
    Photo Gallery
    Isolated Music Cues

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A Doug Naylor commentary over all six episodes is essential. The series 1 to 8 DVDs suffer from the absence of those.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

A formal apology from all involved for series 7, 8 & Back to Earth would be a good start. But please no fan special features, it only encourages them!

20. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

You don't have to watch them! I like all that stuff :-) besides Hattie's DJ Diary pretty much changed my life! (Oh the drama!)
    If I hadn't seen it I might never have discovered and joined TORDFC, I've always been a fan, but it wasn't a huge part of my life and I wasn't part of any of the online communities. It was my younger brother discovering Red Dwarf through my old VHS collection and then getting/watching the DVDs that re-ignited my interest.

My brother and I attended our first DJ in 2005 after watching Hattie's DJ Diary and we've been to every one since. Following DJXII I quickly discovered the vast online fanbase (through BTLi initially) and met lots of lovely people, some of whom are now my closest friends, one of those people was Ian who has been my other half for 5 years. I moved from Stockport to London to be with Ian and we now share a house with Cappsy (who I also met through RD online) and our 2 cats. Being moderator on BTLi led to my being nominated to be on TORDFC team in early 2007. I became the Social Media Community Manager/PA, which in turn led to some other people wanting to pay me actual money to do Social Media stuff, that was quite nice :-)

So yeah, in summary: I'd like to keep the fan content and especially the "cringeworthy segments shot at conventions", I like them the best! :-D