How would you like your Series X DVD?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MooMooYew, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

No offence meant Jo, this is all terribly interesting for you I'm sure, but really that was my point. It's not terribly important or interesting in terms of the show itself. While I'm happy to read your story here and am pleased you all live in a big happy RD family, I don't really care to watch what some fans choose to get up to or listen to them talk over episodes on official DVD's just because they've achieved some sort of pseudo-fame in the fan-circuit.

Fan websites like GnT are great and I enjoy them for what they are and the different slant they can offer in discussing the show but at the same time that doesn't mean I found that "yeah but no" thing that appeared on one of the DVD's to be in any way worthy of inclusion.

My opinion is that I dislike independent fan produced content appearing on official DVD's, however much of a dream this may have been for those involved. Looking back over my comments perhaps I went too far in including the convention footage. I didn't mind it as a one off, as it pretty much confirmed to me that it isn't the sort of event I'd ever want to go to so it was interesting in that aspect.

If I'm honest I think Red Dwarf has maybe gotten a little too close and cliquey with its fanbase over the years and that's partly why the show lost some of its edge. Stuff like the Dibley family almost seems like it was written to service the dress-up crowd, even though they probably ended up hating it, which is ironic given that Dibley was probably initially created as a parody of the more hardcore fans (something Craig Charles even jokes about on the DVD).

I don't know of another show that involves and respects it's fans as well as Red Dwarf does and for that it is to be commended but at the same time the slightly blurred, almost incestuous working relationship that exists between them can be...I don't know, a little bit disturbing to me.

But then I'm a Red Dwarf fan...so I'm probably weird like that. :roll:

2. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

None taken :-)

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

As for the fan commentaries, I found them entertaining enough, but that was partly because both of them featured regular forum members. I don't know what I'd make of them if it was just a few random Red Dwarf fans that I wasn't familiar with. Anyway I think they were only featured on Back To Reality and Gunmen as those were a pair of particularly iconic episodes.

4. Sparky

Sparky Supply Officer

Wasn't one of the fans doing the commentary that Kier Shiels fella, the one who buggered off to be a doctor and appeared in that TV documentary show last year ... 'Young Doctors' or something on ITV?

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

If they kept the same DVD format as the other Red Dwarf DVDs, I'd be happy. They're all fantastic packages. Even the more limited selection in series 1 and 2 outshone many other shows releases.

If there was a lot of good stuff (and I emphasise 'good stuff) that was cut out of particular episodes to keep within the time limit, then I'd love extended versions of one or two episodes too, much like they did on the Series VII and VIII disks. (It's arguable how good some of those episodes were, but I thought the extended and remastered version of Tikka to Ride, was rather good.)

In fact if they had the 3 disk format of series VII and VIII, (2 for episodes included extended versions and commentaries, one for all the other goodies, smeg-ups, behind the scene stuff, and yes, some fan stuff) I think that would be a good way to go. I know there are many fans who don't like those two series, but I think even many of them would agree that the goody selection on those DVDs is excellent.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

He's doing it again!

I don't come round to your house and insult you personally to your face...

7. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Here's another idea for extras:

Since the Remastered model is finally being filmed, albeit slightly shorter than expected ;-) , I think the RDX model shots should be edited with the first 2 episodes.

It'll give Doug the chance to show us (/talk to us about) what he wanted the remastered project to look like. Much in the same vein as Tikka to ride remastered.

Plus it'll give places that didn't get the Bodysnatcher collection, some remastered episodes. Whether that's a good thing is debatable. Cue dig on The Movie: Yeah, No, Yeah, No. :-D

8. 15Milburn20

15Milburn20 Skutter

Quickly knocked this up:
    [​IMG]

(Damn right that's a red dwarf star in the top left!)

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Very nice! Well done.

10. 15Milburn20

15Milburn20 Skutter

BBC DVD style (not much to go on for the background yet - for obvious reasons)
    I was tempted to make a 'DVDave' graphic but I resisted..

[​IMG]

11. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I wonder if the X could be incorporated into the rings somehow.....

But then I'm in no-way artistic so what do I know!

...Actually making the rings more angular might make it look like something else that brings up other connotations, better not risk that!

12. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

That's beautiful, and really simple. Well done, if you don't mind me saying.

13. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I like the cover here, also the bit which says "Over 9000 hours of deleted scenes etc." ;-)

14. 15Milburn20

15Milburn20 Skutter

Cheers!

Which rings, Mr 47? The one on the logo?

Thanks very much - I really like how small the ship is, really highlights the solitude..

Couldn't resist that number! I couldn't really think of a different background image, there may be an iconic location in RDX to replace the ship. I tried it with the background for the one I did first but it looked a bit too much like the BTE DVD.

15. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

My second more successful attempt at a fan cover. I decided to follow a slightly more traditional logo and colour scheme and I would be extremely happy to see them release something like this, albeit more professional looking.
    [​IMG]

16. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Hmmm. It should have some lemurs. They go well with the Red Dwarf logo. otherwise, very good.:-)

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Best so far.

18. 15Milburn20

15Milburn20 Skutter

19. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

That's a good one, too.

I have to say that, though the silver logo and Times New Roman font for "Series X" are nice enough, I much prefer the classic red/white and the Microgamma font. Microgamma wears its sci-fi connotations on its sleeve. They used Times New Roman for Series 8 and I always thought it was a bad idea - as if RD was trying to look like a novel rather than a sci-fi show.

20. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I really like this one. Except the expression on Lister's face seems a bit off. Almost like he just stepped in something? I have a massive amount of respect for those of you with graphic design talents. :-)