How you got into RED DWARF

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

So how did you?

I'll tell you mine: When i was little i remember seeing the T-rex scene out of Pete part 2, i was five-years-old then.
    Later, years later in fact, my dad rented a VHS from the libary; on the tape were the episodes of Dwarf V: Holoship, Demons and angels, and Back to reality.

Now with my limited understanding of some of the jokes (i was about 7-8)you'd think i might reject the show, but me and my brother loved it, we did laugh and it was instantly something i wanted to see more of.
    I've since bought: RED DWARF I-III remasterd VHS, Just the shows 1-2, and the starbug playset(Which i now feel sorry about, as i painfully regret my negligence towards)

so tell me your Red Dwarf introductions!

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Pure and simple. I was a kid when it first came on tv. I liked science fiction and so watched. I also watched a lot of sit-coms then, so it was a good mixture for me. Now, I hardly ever watch tv. But Red Dwarf still has the power over me it always had.

3. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

It's all in my signature below :-) i like that story.
    My sister (who hated dwarf in first second) called me convinced it will be a cartoon... well destininy wanted me to stay and give it a chance.. that was laugh of my life

4. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

My memory is shot, but I remember we once came home from the cinema to try and get back in time for red Dwarf, this was around 1999, I was eleven. I don't quite remember the specifics, but I saw the first four seasons in the just for episodes pack, and figured what the hell, I'l see if it was as good as I remembered/if the earlier seasons were as fun.

God damn did I laugh and laugh those days when I watched them all, in under one weekend. Quite shocking to think, as Red Dwarf starting airing the year I was born, 1988.

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I remember seeing the odd episode here and there and me my brother and my uncle quite liked it, I remember seeing some of series III when it first came on. I think Craig used to be on another show (as a presenter?) around this time. Edit - I think it was "What's That Noise?" So we knew him, it was like "there that guy!" I was only about 6 years old at the time but I found it really funny. I think I thought it was a kids show :lol:

Then when series V came on I saw about 4 episodes of it and really fell in love with the show, the episodes that really got me were The Inquisitor and Quarentine which I watched on repeats as well and which led to me being very excited when series VI came on and I watched without fail every thursday (I think) so that was the first series I saw in full. Then the BBC repeated every episode all over again (but I think they missed Psirens for some reason)

6. doggett

doggett Second Technician

When I was a kid, I caught glimpses of RD VII and fell in love with it.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I was sat at home one evening after a day at school with the TV on in the hope that something would relieve the boredom, and Backwards came on. I watched it and instantly fell in love with the series. It was actually the first repeat of Backwards and was almost definitely during 1990. Does anybody know the exact date?

Next day at school, I found that a friend of mine had also watched the episode the night before and he too had become a massive fan. From that point on we used to talk about the series constantly. Then we discovered that there were novels...

It frightens me to think that had I not happened to be watching at that point I might never have discovered Red Dwarf.

8. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

I remember seeing it advertised when it was about to be aired for the first time and thinking "a sci-fi comedy in space? this I've gotta watch!" and I've been hooked ever since!!!

9. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

I was flicking channels and saw Craig Charles, and wondered what the 'Robot Wars' guy was doing on it. Then started laughing at it :-p so that was it

10. Wandering_Ranger

Wandering_Ranger Third Technician

back in 1999 I was in junior school and my best friend at the time was really into it and channel hopping one night I chanced upon the "Stasis Leak" final scene with 6 of everyone and liked it. This would have been around the time season VIII was on and so each week I watched it from there and gradually built up my knowledge of the series from there and have never looked back.

Anyone remember when UK Gold used to show an entire season in 1 night? I'd stay up late for those and pray that my mum wouldn't come down and make me go to bed before it finished. Ah good times! I can't believe that is ten years ago now though, how time flies!

11. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

There was two seperate times I got into RED DWARF:

1st time - I was about 4 or 5 at the time and my mum's ex-boyfriend showed me the show I now love. I do remember asking him at the time: "why does that man ('cause I didn't know Rimmer's name back then) have a H on his head?" And he told me - straight - that he was a hologram. It didn't scare me, though. It intrigued me...still does.

2nd time: This was when series eight had finished. I was over at a friend's house. We had just finished watching Robot Wars and an idea struck my friend's brain. She left the room, only to come back with a video tape, which was going to re-introduce me to the show I still love. On the tape was Quarantine, The Inquisitor and Terrorform. In return for re-introducing me to the show, I bought her Red Dwarf: remastered, which had the episodes The End, Future Echoes and Balance of Power.

12. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

You bought her Remastered as a thank you present? I'd consider that an insult myself! :-p

13. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

The used to show it on the local pbs in a block of british comedies, it came on before something I already watched, maybe blackadder I think. I would catch the last few minutes of it waiting for whatever-was-after-it (PROBABLY blackadder) and eventually I started watching it too because it was so funny and weird.

14. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

I too had a kind of 'double' introduction to Red Dwarf. The first time was when I was 8 and series II was airing for the first tim. My dad was watching it, and let me stay up to watch one episode (which years later I found out was called 'Queeg'). I remember little about that experience apart from the big reveal at the end and being very confused by there being a hologram and also a computer called 'Holly' - my 8 year old brain wondering why the hologram wasn't called Holly.

I didn't see it again until 1992, when series V was debuting. My dad needed to be out for most weeks it was on, so he got me to tape it for him, starting with "Terrorform". I instantly fell in love with the show, and must have watched the last four episodes of series V the most.

Not long after series V finished, BBC 2 repeated series IV, and from then on I was on a quest to gain the rest of the episodes. Searching through my dad's vast collection of Betamax tapes, I found "Backwards" and "Marooned", but then I hit a dead end. Now, six months to a 12 year old is an eternity, so it seemed like an agonising wait until BBC 2 finally repeated the show from the very beginning in early 1993.

I've reflected a number of time since then that I probably got 'in' at just the right time - the first five series became readily accessible and series VI was just around the corner. I also find it an amusing coincidence that I became a fan at the precise midpoint of the series (well, until the new specials air!)

Ronnie

15. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Not to be a big pedantic bastard of Arnold Rimmer like git-ness, but I don't think the BBC repeated the whole series from episode 1 until after series VI went out in late 1993, so the repeats probably began in early 1994? I know they did do all the episodes after series VI and I'm pretty sure series one had never been repeated until then (as keeping with the blurb on the VHS sleve)

Also, betamax! that takes me back. Glad to hear from someone else who had a betamax.

16. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

You're right about 1994 - I was in year 9 when it happened, took me a moment to date just exactly when I was in year 9! (1993/1994) Thanks for that!

I also remember that it was barely a couple of months after series I got its first ever video release - which at the time I thought was a little sneaky, since the packaging of the videos proudly procaimed that it was the first time on video and had never been repeated on TV... Then just after Christmas it was all over BBC 2.

I actually still have about 500 Betamax tapes - not watched any of them since the late 90s on the grounds that I have no working Betamax player, though having recently gotten a DVD recorder I've been browsing eBay for working Betamax players and found that they're surprisingly cheap and numerous!

Ronnie

17. connell

connell First Technician

I too saw a bit of Pete when I was about 9 or 10 and my Grandad said I would like it, because I was a fan of Doctor Who. But, I didn't have a clue what was going on, and the dinosaur scared me, and all I can remember is Pete being asleep and them hiding in amongst the cargo :-)

Then, many years later, I came across a Little channel that I would love, called Dave. I knew Blackadder was on there, or UKTV, one or the other, so I stuck it on, It was legion, and I LOVED it! (The Bottom was on, and I had a chuckle at that). So then I started tuning in every Wednesday night to see an episode, and then about 4 nights in they had a Red Dwarf night! It was heaven!

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I still have a load of betamax tapes, I do have a player which is ok only it's doesn't run back :lol: thanks for the ebay tip! I'll have to try that. What's funny is the old style connections on my betamax are really handy for connecting to a DVD recorder, much more so than modern VHS players.

19. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Hmm, first getting into Dwarf... haven't had to think that far back in a long while.

First saw a few random episodes on BBC back around the time series 7 first started to air (well before it obviously), and loved it. Was a bit difficult to watch back then though as I didn't have my own TV and my mother didn't like it (still doesn't), so I couldn't always watch it. Was allowed to watch series 7 though (and had my own TV for when series 8 aired :-D), and became really hooked from there.

Oddly enough most of the early episodes I saw through one of my mum's friends who used to babysit us back in the day and was a dwarfer, bringing over the VHS tapes for me and a friend to watch (nothing to keep us sufficiently quiet quite like Red Dwarf, even to this day!). Didn't get all the jokes back then (I was about 10/11), but still couldn't get enough and kept wishing my parents would go out more often so I watch more Dwarf :P

Things sure have changed since then, except for my love of Red Dwarf that is!

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think it was in 1995 that the BBC repeated the 36 episodes that existed up to that point.

I recorded them all onto three VHS tapes (two series per tape), and for years these increasingly hissy recordings were my only access to the first six series. Because of the poor sound quality, I did consider purchasing the official VHS tapes of the first six series, but the price put me off. Thankfully the DVDs eventually came along.