How you got into RED DWARF

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 5, 2009.

1. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

As I mentioned when I introduced mysrlf in the express lift, I read the novels first before seeing (repeats of)the shows. Thinking back I probably had seen something of the originals but I can't have been more than eight or nine at the time, and don't remember that much.
    What really swung it for me was seing the repeats on BBC2 one Christmas.(Around 2000, maybe?) I was single at the time and working hectic shifts in a restaurant, so I really enjoyed chilling out, laughing my a**e off and drinking a glass of Pinot Grigio, while watching Red Dwarf. Good Times. I think they screend all the episodes in cronological order,(Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)and I loved them all! :-D

2. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Showing my age here but I always liked Craig Charles as a poet on various TV shows and Chris Barrie had starred in a 'Dead Ringers' style impressionist show on Channel 4 which I liked, so when I saw trailers for a sci-fi show starring the two of them, I thought I'd give it a look.
    Loved it from the word go and started videoing it from the start of series 2.

I remember we had to wait what seemed an age for series 1 to come out on video as they wouldn't repeat it on TV for years.

3. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

When I started working at my current company there were a lot of Brits and a few lent me some video tapes of the show.
    That was almost ten years ago.
    Since then I have bought all the DVDs and books.
    Rapture

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Actually it was 1994. The Red Dwarf Programme Guide was lying to me.

5. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

Back the early 90s when I was still in junior school my dad used to let me stay up late to watch the BBC comedies and RD was one that stuck with me. Wasnt till a few years later (about 95) that someone bought me the Quarantine VHS that I really became a smeggie, proceeded to collect them all and also joined the fan club from the address on the back of the tapes.

Its weird, I still have really clear memories of buying RD merch when I was a kid. I actually swapped series 2 byte 2 with a friend for some of my SNES games.

6. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    I was baby sitting my next door neighbour and was flipping the channels and got on the PBS channel, I think late 80's early 90's and I saw what at first I thought was a humours vampire. Watched a bit longer and found out that it wasn't a vampire but the crazy lovable but cool Cat. I think it might have been the second eps Future echoes or something, the one where Cat chips his tooth. Ever since then I was hooked.

7. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I can't remember exactly how, but I came accross better than life on BBC2, the first time round (yes, showing my age) and instantly fell in love with it. This was in 1988 and I know this as I had just started year 10 at school. Odd this as series 1 aired in 1988; but was definatly that year as I remember us all talking about in biolagy :-) Series 1 and 2 must have been broadcast the same year. Anyway, watched and taped every episode from then on and went back and bought series 1 on VHS later, think it was quite a while later though. I had and still used my VHS recording until the release of the DVDs a few years ago.

I remember seeing it prior to this though. I was staying at my grandmas house and she took me over to visit her friend. I was bored listening to them chatting. They had the TV on silent and I was trying to figure out what was on; I remember seeing (who I later learned to be) Lister laying on his bunk. This must have been series 1.

8. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I Struggle to remember how I got into Red Dwarf. I had just turned 6 when the first episode aired, and I suppose my dad might have watched it. I remember watching bits of series 7 many years later when they were on tv and Kryten and Rimmer looked familiar so I must of seen them before. I then had time in between to watch repeats of series 1 on the bbc before series 8 aired, although I never quite understood it at the time. Series 8 was the first full series I watched which is what got me hooked I then went onto buy the dvds starting with 5 when it came out then getting the rest.

9. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

I remember my & a Friend seeing the adverts for Red Dwarf and thinking that looks like our kind of program.
    We watched the first episode together and thought it was hilarious. Never stopped watching!
    Best show ever. :-D

10. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

Man Plus: Don't worry, your mind is not playing tricks on you - series I and II were both first broadcast in 1988. The legend behind it goes that Rob and Doug were disappointed with series I, so they preferred the idea of making a new series rather than letting series I be repeated.

I kinda presume that series I was actually made in late '87, and was just broacast early '88 (borne out by series I having (C)MCMLXXXVII as the copyright)

11. Cerianna

Cerianna Third Technician

I first saw it as re-runs on a PBS station in Louisiana around 1996 or so...I had recently gotten hooked on britcoms, and this has always been one of my favs.

12. DaveStrife

DaveStrife Skutter

Back when I was about five, my brother showed me episodes of Red Dwarf that he had taped and I loved it.

13. scottishsuzee

scottishsuzee Third Technician

All my brothers fault, he used to watch any comedy on BBC 2 and i was wanting to know what he was laughing at and this time it was Red Dwarf. It was about the middle of series 2 (i was about 9) and i was hooked. I remember the family had Back to Reality on VHS, taped off the tele, for about 10 years.
    I managed to get the first 6 series on VHS from a charity shop just before series 7 started and i nearly screamed down the place, i was so happy and got all the vids for £21. But know i have all me dvds to keep me happy.

I also got my mate into the show after years of telling her how brilliant Dwarf was, i started to show her clips on youtube and now she is coming to the convention with me in October

14. ST4RBUG1

ST4RBUG1 Third Technician

I first got into Red Dwarf by waching the Smeg Outs tape which a friend of my mum's brought round.
    He regularly brought videos round but i only ever watched Smeg Outs. At that age thats all i thought Red Dwarf was,
    an out takes video, but i didnt know what out takes were so it was just Red Dwarf, and i loved it. Then he
    gave me series 1-6 which he had recorded and i basically grew up waching the show. Then sometime later i clearly remember,
    (please let me know if anyone else remember this) waching t.v and seeing starbug glide across a sunset and a woman
    announced : "they're back". it was a teaser for Red Dwarf 7. It was always Starbug which was iconic and special to me so seeing this
    was amazing.

Red Dwarf has always been there for me i never got into it, it just happend.

thanks for listening :-)

15. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Originally saw series 4 off and on (on BBC2) when I was about 11 yrs old maybe, then lost sight of it for afew yrs until series 5 appeared on BBC2 with some sexy looking adverts. I still wasnt too sure about RD at the time and didnt know much of it, I had heard of it and remembered it from yrs before but never really watched it properly. Well series 5 looked good so I decided that it was time to really check this out hehe plus some friends at school liked it so they encouraged me to get onboard :-)

From then on its been non stop, but I must admit since series 7 came out I havent been too obsessed anymore, then when series 8 came out I got back into it slightly but not much, I only own series 2, 3, 4 and 5 on DVD as Im just not a huge fan enough anymore to own the rest. Used to be, had them all plus the extended versions and I still have all the smegazines but as I got older I lost alittle interest I gotta admit.

For me the series went downhill after series 6, thats when I started to lose interest, but I still watch and will never lose total interest :-)

Its hard with shows like Peep Show and The Inbetweeners popping up and being so great ;-)

16. RossPK

RossPK Third Technician

First saw a little bit of it in around 1988, I remember people at school talking about it and it just didn't seem like my kind of thing, so I never watched it.

Then in 1993, series 6 came on and I thought it was great, and started recording it. And I've been into Red Dwarf ever since.

17. davidjp28

davidjp28 Skutter

The first episode of Red Dwarf I ever watched was Thanks For The Memory which I think is from
    Series 2, one of my best mates at primary school told me it was a good show so I watched it that
    was back in the early nineties probably around 1992/1993 & i've been a fan of the show ever since!
    I actually quite liked Clare Grogan as Kochanski a couple of my mates ribbed me about that because
    they couldn't see what was nice about her, I just took abit of a liking to the pint sized scottish
    cutie who was in Gregory's Girl no complaints from me.. I was 100% with Lister in my opinion of her.

I managed to see the repeats of series one & really enjoyed them it was good to go back & see the
    show from the start & see how the characters were going to develop over time, I've bought all of
    the series's on DVD & will most certainly be buying the Back To Earth DVD's to add to my collection,
    I like the premise, I like the characters & love all the scrapes they end up getting themselves into.

Series 1 - Good
    Series 2 - Better
    Series 3 - Abit hit & miss but generally quite good
    Series 4 - Better Effects, Better Stories a definite improvement.
    Series 5 - Great! some brill one liners & dam good stories, loved
    Holoship & The Inquisitor RD perhaps at its very best.
    Series 6 - Improved Effects & Shooting Methods, Better Sets
    & Locations & The Stories Were Good Aswell.
    Series 7 - Some good points but generally overall a disappointment, quite poor.
    Series 8 - Much Better, Very Funny, Decent Stories, Lister & Rimmer Back To
    Their Squirm Inducing Best, Nice To See The Original Crew Back & Intergrating
    Brilliantly With The Normal Cast, Captain Holister Is Great It Was Cool To
    See Him Back Berating Lister & Rimmers Stupidity & Immaturity.
    Red Dwarf:- Back To Earth - So far so good, I like it! especially the new
    red cameras RD has never looked or sounded so good, looking forward to
    watching the 3rd instalment on Sunday evening, I hope we can keep Miss Bartatovski
    alittle longer she's hot! definitely a fan of Miss Winkleman she was good in Peep
    Show aswell, put her in series 10 Mr Naylor I would love to see her intergrate with
    the cast over a full six part series that would be great!

18. lynseyjinn

lynseyjinn First Technician

Can't remember exactly when I got into Red Dwarf, it was getting on towards the end of last year though. My boyfriend and I were discussing how most TV these days is absolute rubbish and we got onto sitcoms that we didn't think were rubbish, and he told me about Red Dwarf. I'd heard of it but didn't know anything other than the name. I was a bit sceptical because it's not easy to make Red Dwarf sound credible to a complete newcomer and it definitely didn't sound credible to me. But he talked me into it and I was hooked before I'd reached the end of the first series. Mum and I watched it together and it was getting to the stage where he had to lend me two series at a time because we were doing one series a night.

19. RimmersLeftNostril

RimmersLeftNostril Third Technician

Born in 1993, the show first aired in 1989, I remember watching some episodes and not really taking them in and when i was about 9 i was sorting out videos in the house and ther it as, the holy grail, a video : RD V. I was hooked from thm and have snce bought every series and the smeg ups watch them all the time and always will, I pray to God there will be more series!

20. Cyberwoman

Cyberwoman Skutter

I was 9 years old, and my mum mentioned that there was this a new series of someting called Red Dwarf starting that night so I dicided to watch it, and havent stoped ever since!

The episode in question was "Tikka to Ride" and while I know there are bettter RD episodes then that, it will always have a special place in my heart :-D