How you got into RED DWARF

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

I got into RD back when it was first shown on UK television, I did not realise until it started that it was based on "Dave Hollins: Space Cadet " which I had heard on the radio :-)

I still remember the frothing at school the next day with everyone talking about it, and was kinda glad that I recognised the actors from other programs (especialy Craig Charles).

2. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

I started with series IV and V. My Dad taped them off the TV when they first aired. I think it must have been 93-94 when I found them in our living room. I was only 4-5 at the time so I never really understood the jokes, but I liked the fact it was spacey :-)

I still remeber the fateful day when the video machine chewed up the series V tape. Oh how I cried :-(

I always wondered what Series I-III were like, and I remeber getting my parents to tape the re-mastered episodes for me. It stared with "The End" and was followed by The Red Dwarf A-Z. I went to bed early because I felt sick. We didn't have any videos, so I picked a Thomas the Tank Engine video and Dad put tape over the little tab so it could be used again :-)

3. thedrocks

thedrocks Third Technician

two years ago when i was 14, me and my friend were talking about TV shows during physics -we had a supply teacher so nobody does work lol, and she mentioned about red dwarf which i told her i had never watched. So she lent me her videos of it (season 4 and 5) why she only has 2 seasons i'll never know. and i loved it from the moment i watched it.

Thank god we had that supply teacher:-D

4. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I was born in the same year it first aired. I grew up with it on TV as my dad was a huge fan from day one. Family occasion of the year #1 was new series of Red Dwarf.

As I got older I began to understand it more, until eventually series VI when it more or less made full sense to me. I have over the last ten years re-watched every series many times.

My dad died not too long after series VIII aired, so he's not going to get to see Back To Earth (that, or he's seen it already via mystical otherworldy powers and as such I am major jealous...) - so it's my first Red Dwarf where it's just me.

Although I've managed to convert so many friends it's unfunny. We all love it.

5. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

I vaguely recall seeing a bit of Emohawk when it was originally aired.

But I really got into RD at a friends B-Day party (Feb 1995, I was 13). She put the Smeg Ups tape on and just from that I was hooked! we were all massive fans, bought all the vids, the books, t-shirts etc. I still have my copy of the 1996 Log Book and Red Dwarf Night that I taped off the telly.

While series 8 was on my friend & I were able to see Chris Barrie & Norman Lovett doing standup in Maidstone then rushed over to Tunbrideg Wells because her dad wanted to see a little known band called Muse playing in a pub.......... happy days! :-D

Red Dwarf is also responsible for bringing my fiance and I together. Had it not been for two extremely long conversations in the pub about our fandom (and going to see Robot Wars, hosted by messer Charles of course) we would probably never stayed in touch. Thank you Red Dwarf! lol!

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

First episode I saw on TV was Polymorph. Then I went out and brought all the videos I could find of it and loved it ever since.

7. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

I watched the very first show in 1988, I was 21 at the time. Hooked instantly! I bought the video's as they came out. And one day at a jumble sale there were some copies of the Smegazine, that was it! I had to find the rest I searched high and low until I had all of them in mint condition! That set me off collecting every aspect of Red Dwarf, now probably having the largest collection of Red Dwarf memorabilia in the world. I attended the conventions, met people the Fan Club team, and when eventually Jane the previous Chairperson stood down, I was asked to take over. I leapt at the chance! I have now been working with the Fan Club for 5 years. It's been a life long dream to be in Red Dwarf as with many others of course! And this year my dream came true! The Fan Club was invited to be extras in Episode 3. A honour that I still can't believe happened! But it did and the rest is history!

8. The_Nimon1

The_Nimon1 Third Technician

Well i did this the long way round. I started watching the young ones and then Found a series called Quantum Leap after it which i got into. The young ones finished and i tuned in early for Quantum Leap and found Red dwarf, Series 2 it was but the episode i started with escapes me now, could have been Better than life. Ive not looked back since and have watched every series since:-D

9. ldykes1

ldykes1 Skutter

My parents had gotten into red dwarf pretty much straight away and they'd taped every episode off BBC2... I wasnt born until 1990, 2 years after the first show was aired, but I've been told that - along with the rest of the family - I was sat down on the sofa every thursday night to watch it as soon as I was brought home from the hospital! I honestly can't remember how old I was when I first remember watching it but I can remember that my favourite character was, and still is, the Cat......."How 'm I lookin'?" LOL

:-D love it!!! =]

10. ldykes1

ldykes1 Skutter

My parents had gotten into red dwarf pretty much straight away and they'd taped every episode off BBC2... I wasnt born until 1990, 2 years after the first show was aired, but I've been told that - along with the rest of the family - I was sat down on the sofa every thursday night to watch it as soon as I was brought home from the hospital! I honestly can't remember how old I was when I first remember watching it but I can remember that my favourite character was, and still is, the Cat......."How 'm I lookin'?" LOL

:-D love it!!! =]

11. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

back in 1988 I was 11 at the time and my sister said to me that there was this great new comedy series that had started on BBC 2 last week, she then went onto to explain what it was about and I sat down and watched future echoes. After the show she asked me what I thought about it and I said something like I didn't find it all that funny but I liked it (not sure why I didn't find it that funny). Anyway I was hooked staright away and carried on watching all the shows. I remember it was a complete pain the BBC not repeating the first series for years and having to wait about 4 years (when it came out on video) to see the first episode and the only eposide you hadn't seen of your fravourite show.

12. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

My dad got me into it when i was about 8, with some tapes and videos. Since then i've bought all the series on DVD and i'm a keen follower :P. It's the BEST show ever and watching Back To Earth was a good thing for me

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Were you in the episode, Drum? I can't say I noticed you.

14. sdrawnaM

sdrawnaM Third Technician

Started watching as a child. Couldn't say exactly how old I was, but it was before I hit double digits. I remember watching "Parallel Universe" and "Polymorph" on TV, although whether they were the original airings or repeats, I can't be certain. Still, I loved it from the first moment, even if a lot of the jokes and references went over my head. A good deal of my adult personality, and certainly my sense of humour, was influenced by Red Dwarf. The concepts it introduced me to, such as time travel and the resulting paradoxes, are now a big part of my own writing. I have a lot to thank Red Dwarf for.

15. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Street scene as the cast ran through, I walked past the camera, at an angle.

16. olafpetersen1

olafpetersen1 Third Technician

think it was when i first watched Backwards and immediately thought the show was funny and different from anything else on tv

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I just found it. You're wearing a gas mask, aren't you? Best cameo ever!

EDIT: You should take a screenshot and use it as your avatar.

18. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

October, 2004.

I found Series Three completely by accident, with "Backwards" being my first episode watched. Being in the States, I had virtually no idea what this program was about - other than it was a sci-fi comedy. And once I was hooked, it was all downhill from there. I was lucky enough to not have to wait long for the DVD's, although I did purchase the Series 7 and 8 videos as they weren't on DVD until 2006.

19. smegginell

smegginell Third Technician

much nagging by my best mate to watch it with him.
    much to his wife's annoyance friday nights became dwarf night.
    he passed away before seeing series VIII

I keep the flag flying now :-)

20. lame_excuse

lame_excuse Skutter

watching series 3 brand new when i was young at my uncles house.
    my 2 fave programmes back then was thomas the tank and red dwarf.