How you got into RED DWARF

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 5, 2009.

1. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Sat down to watch the first episode with my dad & brother back in '88 thinking it was just gonna be a rip-off of Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. I was wrong, it was great (well until the start of series 7!) & I was hooked!

2. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

years ago My bro said i might like it cause he knew i liked sci-fi, it was love at first sight. Been a smeg head ever since.

3. elCrawler

elCrawler Third Technician

I think it might have been Red Dwarf night when I was a little kid. One of my (if not THE) earliest Red Dwarf memories was the bar-room brawl from Backwards. I also remember watching Gunmen of the Apocalypse and laughing so much at the trick shot as Kryten tried to escape the town.

The first series I remember watching most of, if not all, was Series 7 (not a highlight for some people, but I enjoyed it then and still do). After Series 8 finished, it kind of faded in my memory. In 2003, it was repeated late at night during the Summer Holidays from pretty much the beginning, so I got to see episodes I was too young to remember or wasn't even born at the time they were aired. And I loved it. Couple of years after I stumbled across a Series 6 DVD in HMV, bought it on impulse and have been heavily into it ever since.

4. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Saw the tv ads for the 1st series way back when, i was about 12. remember lying on the bed with the lights off watching with my kid brother who was 9, we both been hooked ever since me more so though. Never missed one episode on it's 1st broadcast, It's my all time favourite progam of all time :-D I also collected the smegazine when it came out think i got them all but lost them over the years, Didn't collect the videos because i just taped them off the tele lol. BUT i have got all series 1 - 8 dvd's and the Bodysnatcher Collection remastered dvd's,

I love all the series 1 - 8, I totaly loved the look and feel of series 7, i thought series 7 an 8 were just as good as the rest, and thought Back To Earth as a whole was excellent, It was just what i was after from new red dwarf.

5. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

That's the one, in the yellow gas mask.

That's a very good idea! I'm going to wait for the DVD :-)

6. Krysset80

Krysset80 Third Technician

I purly by chanse saw the first episode that was aired a few years later in Sweden and instantly loved it. Think it ran something like 15-16 in the afternoon so just about made it home to see it after school.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm finding it quite funny how many people are saying their first memory of the show was Pete! While pete part 2 is often one of the most vilified shows by older Dwarf fans it seems to have done a great job at attracting a new generation of fans to the show purely by having a (rather poor) CGI dinosaur!

8. kalloused

kalloused Skutter

We get red dwarf here on Public Television in Utah,USA where I live,Have ever since I was a kid every sat. night. My stepdad just happened to catch an episode one night and loved it and started recording them and my whole family was hooked. It's been my favorite T.V show since I was like...8 years old

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Remember watching the opening episode with my dad.loved it ever since, apart from 7, 8 & BtE.

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I had a hard upbringing and a difficult relationship with my Father which lead me to being out of the house as much as possible. So I missed it until I was about 16 or 17 when I got into the habit of watching it at my girlfriend's house (now my wife). I then started working at a photo lab and I got a colleague into it. We spent many an 18 hour shift just constantly reciting the VHS tapes we had accumulated. And since then. I've always had a work colleague to share my quote-fests with...except for this job. But here I don't speak to any of them...

11. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i was less than sober on a saturday night in san diego circa 1997. at 2am kpbs showed bodyswap. i have been hooked ever since. at first i thought the cat was a vampire lol

12. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I first discovered syndicated episodes of Red Dwarf back in the late '90s on PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) channel 21 here in America. I honestly can't say what the first episode (or even scene) I saw was — I just remember seeing a guy with an "H" on his forehead, and thinking it was a complete ripoff of The Young Ones, which I wasn't a huge fan of. However, it was obviously sci-fi-related, so I stuck with it, and fell in love after the first few episodes.

13. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

God I feel old. I remember staying over at my grandmas house as a kid. We went round to see her friend in the evening and I was sat there bored half listening to their conversion. The telly was playing to itself in the corner with the sound down. I could see two guys chatting away in bunks, one with a H on his head....

Some time later, I caught better than life on BBC 2, I remember people on about red dwarf from the week before, thought i would take a look. I loved it, I wasn't the only one, the guys at school the next day were all banging on about it. Red dwarf, series 2 1988. It must of been series one I saw that night, but never knew what it was. It has always stuck in my mind.

I remember being off school sick and eating my lunch as I watched backwords and the shock of how different it was, I was eating cheese puffs. God I have a memory for bulls+"t. Here I am, 20 odd years later still chatting about it. A bit sad really, with a wife and kids, I am still a geek lol

14. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I first watched Red Dwarf VII with my dad (being born during the year series V was out I really never got a chance to watch it until then, what with it being my first chance to see Red Dwarf maybe the reason I like Seires VII) I remember watching Tikka to Ride, two weeks later I remember Ouroboros then I can't remember see anything else until epideme and then nothing until Krytie Tv and Pete. But as soon as my dad realised I was enjoying the show he got a vast majority of VHS's and after I was given them, I watched and rewatched the hell out of them, when the weekend came round I played through as many as I could, epically my smeg outs tape which was the one I used the most. I didn't really get to see the rest of series 7 and 8 until 2007 and 2005 respectively. I saw all of series 8 during a uk gold marathon and remember really enjoying it. Then I saw series VII DVD in the preowned section of blockbuster, with the biggest interest being the lost episode, which sold it to me. After that I thought... I'll complete the set and got all DVDs to spell out Red Dwarf, and eventually the body snatcher collection. And 5 years later I have not only got 3/5 bobble heads, Mr. Flibble hand puppet (all after their discontinuation) the corgi box set, books and etc. but I have also been to see the revival series be recorded.

So yeah... I'm pretty hooked :-D

15. jaybo1973

It's great that there is a younger generation of dwarf fans that have fond memories of growing up with the newer dwarf stuff. I just hope that X is pitched at classic dwarf fans

16. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Yeah I understand that there are those who are in there per-teens that like Red Dwarf, there stuff I can now appreciate now that I'm much older and have more understanding of the jokes I would have done back then like the eunuch jokes, I never understood Marooned's final punch line until I finally understood what a eunuch was.

17. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    I was grounded for something or the other. Had nothing else to do and my mum liked Sci-Fi. Gave it go and enjoyed it. The only one I missed when aired on TV was Psirens.

18. Bluriteboy02

Bluriteboy02 Skutter

'Last Human' was in my school library. My impressions of the characters were wrong, but I still liked it enough to watch the show.

19. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'd be interested to know what you mean by this. If you mean they didn't match those you subsequently saw in the show, I think what you imagined while reading the books is just as legitimate.

20. jaybo1973

I bet it is a totally different experience reading the books first. I remember reading 'His dark materials' trilogy then the goldern compass (film)was released which was a real let down. I guess it is different when a book is taken from a series rather than a series/film taken from a book. there a countless examples but the golden compass sticks in my mind.