How you got into RED DWARF

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 5, 2009.

1. sofia_pika

sofia_pika First Technician

I was about 8 years old when I caught a glimpse of Kryten while my parents were watching it and I was absolutely terrified, no idea what episode it was. I had nightmares about him for weeks after, I think that encounter has given me my fear of Androids & Robot type things now!

A few years later I found a video round my Aunts, of Stais Leak, I took it home and was hooked! Don't know if it was the lack of Kryten in series 2 that changed my views of it, or the fact I was a bit older, but I have been hooked ever since! And strangely enough, Kryten is one of my favourite characters, after Lister, I reckon it's because he's so soft and such a big girls blouse that he doesn't freak me out like other Androids.

2. supercat

supercat Console Officer

I have started reading the books again. I finished Better Than Life this morning. The most frustrating parts, for me, so far are the similarities. This is especially true for Infinity Welcomes because it reads exactly as the episodes play out, with only a few minor differences (mainly due to restrictions with sets for the TV version) and a few extras thrown in between.

I find that my imagination is limited because I'm picturing how it happens on screen. When reading books, half the fun is in your imagination. Allowing the descriptions of people and places to develop in your mind.

Better Than Life worked better for me because, although we have glimpses of what happened in the show, I felt that there was much more expansion of the stories. More advantage was taken in the fact that they weren't restricted to what they could produce, visually, in a studio. For example, some of the dialogue from marooned is used, but the overall story of how they ended up marooned and ability to make Lister's story longer and more detailed, meant the story could be more unique to the book and so I was able to imagine the world he ended up on and decide for myself the visual impact of the scene.

I'm not sure what would be worse, though. Reading the books first and having your imaginations versions changed, or watching the show first to then be limited to what parts your imagination can develop.

Additional:
    Not being the biggest geek in the world, I'm not sure where the novels are placed in relation to the series order. I imagine that, in some instances, the plots were played out on screen first and others appeared in the books first. The fact that the first two novels include events from before The End and include how they find Kryten, BTL, elements of Marooned and White Hole, Backwards... etc, etc, suggests this to me. I'm sure a few of you will correct me!

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

IWCD was published in November 1989, just before the broadcast of Series III. BTL was published in 1990, in between Series III and IV.

Eagle-eyed readers will note therefore that the White Hole stuff in BTL actually predates the TV episode - in fact, that episode was the first (and so far only) TV ep to be adapted from the novels rather than vice versa.

4. Old_Ironbutt

Old_Ironbutt Third Technician

Hi Supercat, I was meaning to repy and say I got into it by my dad watching (I remember the Meltdown episode and we were doing up a house we were moving into so all very excitign times - I remember my Uncle turning up and shaking his head at the madness onscreen as Gandhi and Mother Teresa got blown up!!) I feel I came in at Red Dawrfs 'peak' of Series 4/5 and gradually taped when they were repeated and then read the novels - your comment really prompted me to say I think I prefer my discovery and really did enjoy reading the 'backstory' that I had no clue about. When the videos were available to buy and limited money at that age my frined got the 'Kryten' block from series 2 and remember being wowed at the difference in appearance and possibly a let down in my visions I had imagined from the books, but still all good. for some reson I found series 3 to look worse/cheaper then the first two!?:? Love it all but Series 8 I appreciated the back to bunk room attempt of humour but really the rest of the series was a bit of a let down and BTE - I have high hopes for the new series and the early mentions on this awesome forum are giving me a positive feeling (although I did get that at the time of BTE and then felt let down).
    Was a good thing to spend time with my dad and see what he watched, but I was the one who took it further and he's hardly interested since then!

5. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Saw season 5 on BBC2 original broadcast but I do remember season 4 being shown originally, at the time I had no idea what it was though hehe.

6. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I switched the TV on in the late eighties!

7. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

Yup, my aunt used to go out every Friday night and she was the first in the family to get Sky (back when you could hear the channels but they were blocked by a screen full of static if you didn't pay for them). Well I used to watch Star Trek: TNG at 10pm on Sky 1, but before that on BBC 2 was this tv show. Probably a repeat. I was pretty young and didn't get a lot of the jokes, but it was definitely like Star Trek in that it had a spaceship, so I gave it a go.

And I haven't looked back since.

8. tanjuanchine

tanjuanchine First Technician

I got into this cuz of someone I met last Spring, one day we were eating in an Indian restaurant, i asked him if we could watch some tv shows together, and he just said Red Dwarf, not sure if it was because of the vindaloo we ate or the hot weather, still i downloaded the show and we watched it together, it was great.

9. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

I have my dad to thank; back when it first started, I was 7 or 8; and it didn't seep into my mind at first, I just knew that dad loved watching it, and I was intrigued at this show that made dad laugh so much. I can't recall when I first got properly hooked - probably in my teens when repeats on TV/video box sets were available. It's one of those shows, like Blackadder, that has just always existed in my life and I can't quite say how or when it first got there.

10. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

Saw Stoke Me A Clipper during a Bond phase and stuck with it. Lister and Kryten going straight into an AR game after the titles probably helped as well.

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I read this entire thread back early this morning. It's interesting to hear how people first got into the show. It's great that there is such a variation in age groups loving the show, and still descovering it too.

I could've sworn I'd replied in this thread before, but it would seem not, so here goes. Here's the short version.. ;-)

The first full length episode I saw was Queeg when it originally aired. However, the previous week a friend and I had walked in on his older brother watching what I now know to be 'Stasis Leak' with his girlfriend. We stood in the doorway watching a scene while his brother moaned at us and told us to get out and leave them alone, which we eventually did. When we got upstairs to my friend's bedroom he couldn't get a good enough reception on his "portable tv", so we eventually gave up. The following week I stayed home and watched Queeg, and was just blown away by the whole thing. The variation of the characters, the interesting and clever plot, the sci-fi element, the jokes, etc, And so it was decided that this was definitely the show for me.

I started recording it from series 3 (but managed to record the wrong darn channel when Time Slides aired). I watched the other ep's over and over again, late at night, in my bed...whilst eating big bowls of Weetabix (this kinda' Became somewhat of a tradition for me). By the time Marooned aired I knew I was a Dwarfer for life. Then when that was followed up by Polymorph I was blown again once again. I just couldn't get over how awesome one show could be, and in so many different ways (Marooned and Polymorph being a perfect example of that).

Very few shows have touched me in the way Red Dwarf has over the years. Then that excitement was given a new kick start when the series one dvd came out ten years ago (wow, it really has been that long hasn't it? :shock: ). And then last year seeing the show recorded live was all kinds of geeky awesomeness. I'm really looking forward to seeing that episode, and indeed the whole of series X shown on my tele box...and to watch the episodes back on video the following night...in bed, as I eat my big bowl of Weetabix :-)

Edit: As is often the case; to correct the odd shelling mishtake I may spot (not that I always bother with them all)...and to try to cut down my tendency to use too many smilies.

12. DaveHOz

DaveHOz Third Technician

For me, it all started with seeing the plot description for "The End" in my PBS station's program guide:

I was hooked from the start...

13. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Right from the start. :-)

14. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

I'd read about Dwarf online, and heard about it from my cousin and my father. When I saw Dave was doing a repeat of Timeslides, I decided to check it out.

And the rest is history.

Pun not intended.

15. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

I'd read about Dwarf online, and heard about it from my cousin and my father. When I saw Dave was doing a repeat of Timeslides, I decided to check it out.

And the rest is history.

Pun not intended.

16. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

Great to see new people getting into Red Dwarf, I guess the new series was a success after all:-)

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I first remember watching it when I was about 10 and Series 6 was being aired on TV for the first time. I think it was Emohawk or something. Fell in love with it immediately and started tracking down all the VHS copies of the show I could of the previous Series'.

Think my first VHS was the Series 4 one with Ace Rimmer on the front. Loved that set and even now watching White Hole (the first episode on that tape) and that first scene with the toaster fills me with genuine warm fuzzy nostalgia I love it.

18. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes it would have been around 1995. They showed the whole series (red dwarf 1 - 6) and then series seven came out in January 97!

I remember it well, love! Although I had series 3 on video before the repeat year 8)8)

First series I saw was red dwarf 5! Daddy-E was a fan so I watched it and the rest is history! And here I am...

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You're wrong. And I've already found the answer to this question:

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/messages.cfm?messageid=01D69651-09D8-4E1F-BA70095B2BE895A4#01D69651-09D8-4E1F-BA70095B2BE895A4

It was the 4th of October 1990.

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Episode 1, 15 February 1988...8)