Howard Goodall's return

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Slainmonkey, May 8, 2012.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Honesty me hearing about Howard Goodall's return to the show is pretty much right up there with the news about the use of models because I find that a soundtrack can really contribute to the tone and atmosphere to something. I really thing that it's something that will go a long way into making the new season really feel like Red Dwarf.

I feel Howard Goodall's soundtracks had a great deal of variety and it really aided the scenes and helped give the show a stronger, more refined feel. His music I really feel in it's own way (no matter how small) had a hand in making Red Dwarf memorable.
    From Confidence and Paranoia
    From Dimension Jump (though some might argue this one sounds too dated)
    From Holoship
    From Stoke Me a Clipper (this episode had some of his best composition work)

I feel season 8's soundtrack really suffered because when not using old music ques recorded by Goodall from season 1 and 2, the music that was present sounded rather cheap and emphasized what I feel to be the weak quality of the season.
    From Back in the Red part III (in possibly one of my least favourite scenes in the entire show)
    From Pete part I
    Also from Pete part I

Flash forward to the Back to Earth 3 parter in which Goodall is still absent bit a couple of his recycled audio cues are still present. While the music here is somewhat less cheap sounding it never feel like it belongs in Red Dwarf and aways felt out of place to me.
    The Car Bug scene

The music actually was something I as worried about with the new season and I feel with him aboard the changes of the new season feeling right has improved a great deal.

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I agree Howard Goodall's return to do the music score can only be seen as a plus. It would have been good to see some of the old BBC crew return as well but contracts and politics probabaly stop that happening.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well I have heard implication that there is at least some because Robert Llewellyn did once say that the new season had a lot of familiar faces behind the camera and it kinda made it feel like old time......as to who infact he meant I really can't say because if memory serves me he said this while the episodes were still in filming and before anything about Howard Goodall returning was even whispered.

On it's own there is nothing wrong with the Car Bug music other then it just sounding out of place and far too Gen Y for it.....just seemed out of place, I guess it could be argued that it works because the Dwarfer's themselves were out of place but in context I just wasn't sold in it.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The music from the Carbug scene is on my MP3 player. It's such a lovely piece of relaxing music.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I like the carbug music, too. I seem to remember it being the first point at which I felt (and I know this sounds terrible, and isn't accurate) that some real effort had been put in to create something both original and polished. Just that bit of music, really. It does seem a little out of place, but considering how little I like the stuff that's, well, in place, that's no bad thing. I've since learned to really like the section aboard Red Dwarf from Katerina's appearance, the science fiction shop (we used to have a place like that in Peterborough) because it's an effective parody as well as having a few good little gags, and the Coronation Street bit. But the carbug music is really good.

6. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

All Howards music for Series X was done and handed over yesterday via Twitter:

Howard Goodall?@Howard_Goodall

Phew! #RedDwarf RDX music cues all done and delivered after marathon week. I feel I should celebrate with a smoked kipper.

And when I asked Richard Naylor if he was putting the music in the episodes his response was:

Richard Naylor?@RichardDGNaylor

Yes. Listening and putting it in the episodes yesterday, today and next week.

If you listened to Howards sneak peak audio of RD X of the song titled going for the phone it's certainly interesting! It got deleted quickly by Howard but it's still viewable via the gazpacho-soup website!

7. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Red Dwarf has music. Wow. I mean as my ears dont work myself I wouldnt have known, but I cannot imagine music in a comedy show apart from the Tongue Tied type scenes of course! It just doesnt seem right to me. :shock:

8. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

It's the background music as Howard as contributed to in every series!