I dont get it

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cloud, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I have been watching through red dwarf to get in the mood for the new ones, and was watching pete 2 last night. I just dont get the scene where Hollister says "see you in 10 minutes" and they use the time wand and make him repeat it over and over. I dont get why, I dont think its funny or anything, did they need another couple of minutes of filler or something?

Well its been fun watching through the old ones there is something weird about series 8, in Chris Barries time off did he forget to act or something? I know he is a different Rimmer but there is something about him that is a hammy and off for most of it.

2. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

I didn't find it funny either.

3. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It wasn't a highlight!

4. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I think the see you in ten minutes was one of the few examples where repatition failed in Red Dwarf, mostly because it wasn't the Cat doing it, nor was it a very long salute hammed up my Chris Barrie.

Series VIII has a lot of good moments too though. I thought Rimmer had many good moments.

5. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

The thing is, the line "see you in 10 minutes" and the repetition of it don't really relate to anything. This isn't any sort of punchline. If the joke was supposed to be that they wouldn't really be back in ten minutes because they could stretch that time out forever... well that's a stretch, isn't it? You can't stand there all day zapping him every few seconds... If Hollister had said "See you in 10 minutes", then they'd frozen him and walked away, small laugh there I suppose. That's still a bit hard to follow though. Maybe.

Sorry, I think about comedy a lot lately.

6. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Yeah I didn't get it, See you in ten minutes was sort of a tiny zing to end the scene with....then out of no where they zap him and keep doing it, and it doesnt seem to put a punchline on the end or add anything, it sort of gets a mild laugh from the audiance although I am not sure what they are laughing at by the 5th time. I didnt get it, it wasnt really a joke.
    A lot in Pete goes on, when Hollister is describing what items the dinosaur ate and keeps going on listing all the dino ate, every time. It goes on.

I should stop watching 8 It angrys up my blood.

7. smegginell

smegginell Third Technician

it just reminds me of American humour.....not very funny. (picture that scene on a US sitcom and the automated laughter machine would be wettin itself)

thats why the few americans with a real sense of humour are RD fans right from series 1 :-D

8. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I've also just watched series VIII again (I was slightly surprised to find it was still wrapped in cellophane).
    The only thing I could come up with for that scene, was that they were zapping themselves with the time wand as well.

But if that was the case, they'd still be there now.
    Wouldn't they?? :roll:

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I didn't like that scene either. It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you check out the next scene. The "He's behind me isn't he?" moment.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I always assumed it was just a piece of random zaniness but also wondered if there was a deeper meaning to it.

Like a lot of humour from series 7 and 8 it wasn't a typical Red Dwarf joke, but I laughed the first time I saw the scene.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It was one of those things that writers sometimes do, in which a repeated scene can sometimes trigger the giggles in the viewer when it goes on longer than expected. If they'd made him say it three times, it wouldn't have had the same effect. It was the fact that they made him say it about seven times that made me laugh. Something happens when a repeat scene goes on that little bit too long. For some it's irritation, others, like me, find it funny.

12. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

;-)

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A good example of this kind of joke is White Hole's "so what is it" sequence, which was much better executed. I think the Pete scene should have ended at Hollister's first "see you in ten minutes?", which was a decent line to finish on, but one that's less effective with the extra nonsense stuck onto the end of the scene.

15. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I don't mind American humour. I loved Friends.

But Red Dwarf wiped the floor with it. :-D

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The Simpson's used to use the gag a lot. Remember a very early episode where Lisa and Bart pester Homer for something. They ask, he says no. They ask, he says no... went on for about 40 seconds :-D

17. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I always prefered VIII to VII.... until I watched them recently. There are so many gags that bother me about VIII it's annoying. Part of what shocked me was in the documentary on the series V dvd about the US pilot, where Doug Naylor said that the American writers just wanted to chip in one liners and not worry about the more important stuff. Well that's what happened in VIII. "I was gonna launch it at this year's emotion show"? what does that even mean? Is Kryten just trying to be funny or is there some real emotion show? Or did the writers put in a one liner that doesn't really make sense? Same goes for the whole "is your chair screwed down" bit.
    "Is paris a kind of plaster?"? that's not even funny... "it's the theory you only tell your relatives"? groan.... In fact nearly all of Holly's jokes were crap.

Red Dwarf became very formulaic in this series. I think the time wand gag was just a simple gag using the features of the time wand, so it's like they're stuck in time. It has no real point and it's not funny.