I have just realised how I see series VIII!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by wavesd, Oct 28, 2016.

1. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I think VIII is a little controversial; some things fall a little flat and some of the stories seem a little poorly aligned, or rushed; BUT I do like to watch it, and after a few rewatches through X and XI (which I see as a continuation of the feel and standard of VI) I think I have worked out why:

I see VIII as a sketch show; think of Big Train, The Fast Show or even Python; a bit hit and miss, but often with characters that you grew attached to. This is how I see VIII, I don't let the bad points get me down too much, because there is always a really good joke, or set piece around the corner.

I am a big fan of comedy (and Sci-Fi) I like Pegg/Frost, Coogan, Gervais, Atkinson (Ben Elton) - but Doug Naylor is the king of the TV gag for me, some are set ups that can take the whole 30 minutes to pay off, others are bang! one liners; and I will say the same for the cast Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules, Robert Llewellyn and Chris Barrie (did I need to type out the cast list here? ...I have a feeling you may all know the names!) just have their characters nailed, and can deliver with perfection.

2. percyP

percyP Third Technician

Have just watched a bit of VIII and it is does have a sketch show feel, I think that describes it well.

3. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

I suppose this would explain why I enjoy VIII when I stop thinking about the fact that it's Dwarf and think of it as just another show.

4. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Having rewatchd VIII, I totally get the idea of seeing it as a sketch show. In virtually every episode, there seems to be a couple of offbeat moments which don't fit the rest of the episode (Archie in Pete: Part 2 springs instantly to mind).

Sketch show, Carry On, I suppose the series is all right if you don't think of it as Red Dwarf. But in comparison to everything else that came before and after it, VIII really is the low point of RD. Hell, the Pete two-parter and Krytie TV (particularly Krytie TV) don't even seem to be episodes of Red Dwarf, if that makes sense.

Thinking about what Wavesd said, I think the only real saving grace for the series is Chris Barrie's full-time return as Rimmer, and Barrie/Craig Charles's performances as Rimmer/Lister. In terms of the other main characters, Kochanski and the Cat get more and more sidelined as the series progresses, and Kryten still isn't really himself. I much preferred their characterisations in series VII (even though Kryten was still noticably off for most of it).

5. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

I was thinking about this the other day, and how you could make a list of like sixty of these sketches and a even a good fan would be hard-pressed to have to remember how they're arranged because they're so independent.

6. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Rimmer hitting his erection with a hammer, Rimmer's lengthy salutes to Hollister, "See ya in 10 minutes", Lister/Cat/Kochanski/Kryten ending up in a claymation universe (though I do like that last scene)... but you're right, there's plenty more where that came from.

7. Rudolph

Rudolph Third Technician

I guess that idea works, as Only the Good... literally has no plot.