I need this settled....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mtullock, Sep 23, 2016.

1. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

The asteroid on the underside of the ship......is it:

A) an asteroid which has crashed intonthe ship
    B) an asteroid which has been taken on board for mining.

As far as i am aware originally it was a crash but im sure as of season 8 it was intended to be intentional for mining. Personally i prefer and grew up thinking it was the crash......

Whats everyone elses opinion?

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I've always assumed it was picked up along the way for mining? Surely an asteroid would destroy the ship if it crashed into it?

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

It is in the asteroid docking bay so to speak so it will be there to mine.

4. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Third Technician

On the original ship it always look liked something that they had been mining, but through a mishap collided with and embedded itself in the ship. Later versions of the ship make it definitely look like it's housed intentionally for mining.

5. mtullock

agreed. Does the book not describe it as an asteroid which had lodged itself in the hull?? but I also agree that the later versions make it look intentional.

6. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I always thought it was a collision. It's slightly backed up in Queeg as a thing that tends to happen on Red Dwarf when an asteroid hits the ship and the ensuing chaos is what makes Holly play his jape in the crew.

I just assumed it was one of many asteroids that hit the ship, and the mining is supposed to be done via the big scoop and it hoovers asteroids when it needs to.

7. mtullock

Na the ramscoop is for endlessly fueling the ship from space matter and gas. Its in the books and possibly mentioned in the series

8. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Hi chaps,

If you look at a close-up of the asteroid - as of RDX production at least - it very much looks like an accident. The surrounding ship is damaged, and, in a nice touch, peppered with mini-asteroids (like they were hit by a storm of one big one and several little ones).

Click.

9. mtullock

nice find! although I have just wiki'd it and found again it was indeed something that was re-conned:

A small asteroid is embedded in Red Dwarf's underbelly. Upon the reconstruction of Red Dwarf in Series VIII, there are two asteroids. The asteroids are being mined,[14] rather than accidental strikes resulting in fusion with the ship's structure.!

The 14th citation comes from the body snatchers and says they wanted to justify the asteroid "bay"...... I wish they would stop ret-conning. everytime they do I just reason to myself that they are showing RD in another reality......somewhere Lister is still in Hawaiian shirts, didnt date Kochanski and is still hatefull of Rimmer.........damn I miss thaty reality LOL

10. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

In a documentary for the pilot episode, Grant and Naylor said they wanted the ship to be self-sustaining, even so far as to mine the raw materials directly from the asteroids, and the "redesigned" pencil shaped ship clearly has bays for storing large asteroids; however, the novels state that it's a small moon ripped from it's orbit and lodged into the ship, and as the previous poster noted, production shots of the new ship show impact damage.

My personal opinion is that it was originally meant to be on purpose, but then they thought it would be funny if it was an impacted meteor/small moon, so they changed the premise of it.

11. Captain_Star

Captain_Star Third Technician

Assuming the current ship was cobbled together from what remained after the metal eating virus, what are the chances of a new meteor hitting the ship in exactly the same place and not causing critical damage?