Ideal Red Dwarf Scenarios for New Season...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Oct 26, 2015.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I know this has been touched upon in other topics, but Id specifically like to know what you would like to see happen in the new Red Dwarf Series (XI and XII). I know what people mostly don't want (Duane Dibbley, Kochanski, Holly (?!)) but what DO you want?

Here is my Top 10 of things I would like to see in the new Red Dwarf

1: An explanation for what happens at the end of Series XIII. I know we could just use our imaginations to fill in the gaps, but a callback to this would be great, maybe even a whole episode dedicated to it (in flashback - LOST style)

2: A Skutters-centric episode. I've posited on the SMEGHEADS podcast that the Skutters caused the accident that killed the crew, due to being sick of doing the menial tasks when they have a higher IQ than people realise (they can play Chess and have a love for Westerns!) They could take over Red Dwarf and the crew have to band together to destroy every last one of them.

3: A Dream Recorder episode, where they use fragments of each other's dreams to work out how to get out of a sticky situation. Maybe a follow up to Tongue Tied could be inserted.

4: I'd quite enjoy another look at Better Than Life, maybe explore some of the other stories from the book such as the "audio file" prison break. Maybe even a whole prison episode where every prisoner has been converted to an audio file. No special effects needed! Could look boring onscreen, but in the right hands, could be interesting

5: The Cat Ark Returns. The surviving Cat Ark, on its way to Fuschal, has gone around in a circle and confronts Red Dwarf again. Lister tries to explain he is their God, they try to crucify him. Cat manages to convince them to spare Lister if he goes with them on their journey to Fuschal as he knows the way. He goes off with them, blows up the Cat ark, and Blue Midgets it back to Red Dwarf with a whole new wardrobe.

6: The boys form a band. An episode where they realise they've listened to all the music aboard so need to make their own. They form a band, but the music they produce forms a black hole in the universe and almost sucks them through. The only way to save themselves (and the universe) is making a follow up song.

7: A meta-episode, where the boys travel back through time to the first season of Red Dwarf. Some of it will tie in with Future Echoes, but some of it will be leaving things around Red Dwarf which will help them in future series. Like all the stuff that they find in Quarantine (in the corridor with Mr Flibble) is placed there by them in this episode. This would be the BTTF2 of Red Dwarf.

8: An episode about the alternative Kryten and Lister from The Inquisitor. Maybe they make it back to Earth? Maybe they contribute in some way to the current crew's predicament?

9: A bottle episode like Marooned, but in a unique place like the inside of Holly (If there is a Holly in the new series). So somehow Lister and Rimmer become trapped inside the Ship's computer, and the anti-virus will wipe them out in 30 mins. Maybe it can be in real-time too. They talk about life and love and smeg.

10: Red Dwarf Live Episode. If this hasn't already been thought of, then I'm calling for it! If its true and we are going to get Red Dwarf Live onstage at some point in the future, then why not have a live episode too? It will attract so many more people to the series and its something new for Dave!

This is the tip of the iceberg on stuff I want to see, but 10 will do for now. What do you want to see?

jed

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Some interesting ideas Jed.

I honestly don't think this is needed. I like the mystery of it and think it was teased in The Beginning fantastically. I don't want any more than that. It risks being shoehorned in or just being a major disappointment.

I'd love to see the skutters back, but not sure there's enough there for a Skutter-centric episode. If it's done well, I'll never say no, but I'm not too sure...

An interesting idea but PLEASE no follow up to Tongue Tied :P

Yes please! This is what I'm hoping for from the rumoured Cat-centric episode. Fingers crossed.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Some interesting ideas there.

Concerning the alternative Lister and Kryten from The Inquisitor though, they'd have had to have made it to earth in their alternate timeline before that episode, surely... then stayed in Red Dwarf to eventually meet our lads.

4. jedshepherd

true, and they do die in the episode!

5. jedshepherd

I've wanted to see the Cat Ark since I was in single digits!

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You want an explanation for what's going to happen at the end of series 13, Jed? I like that forward-thinking.

Yes, I'd love another Rimmer/Lister bottle episode. With some good writing it could be fantastic - I just fear that the dialogue would be vastly inferior to that in Marooned. The overriding impression I got watching series X recently was that the Rimmer/Lister conversations were poor...very poor.

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Haha I didn't even notice that one!!

8. jedshepherd

nor did I, and I dont like editing so...

I demand an explanation for that last scene in Series 13 where Talkie Toaster wakes up and its all been a dream!

9. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I'd actually kinda forgotten that Kochanski came from another dimension. I wonder if that's where Kochanski has travelled back to? After all, even though the 'getting Kochanski back' storyline was forgotten about half way through Series VII, she must still be missing her Dave. It could be interesting episode to have our Dwarfers travel to Kochanski's dimension, find her and she essentially chooses to stay where she is with her Dave. For me, that would be a satisfactory end to the Kochanski storyline.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Personally i doubt doug will acknowledge it again because you can use it as a way to bring her in to the show but how to resolve it will be much more complicated because there are 2 dimensions and 1 kochanski

Thats why i think with Series 8 it was almost like she gave up trying to get to her own dimension because doug just wants her to fit in as if she was that universe kochanski now and whether thats a good thing or not i dunno

We will just have to see what happens i guess

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think that would drive people nuts after a while

I think its possible this time doug could write an episode based around what happened after series 8 since he did have that little back and forth with jake wood about the possible idea of kill crazy returning which may come to nothing but you never know

i personally don't know how to feel about the idea of kill crazy coming back since i feel he outstayed his welcome after cassandra but i do have a theory about what doug could do with that idea and there is certainly potential there if doug did it right

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Marooned flowed very natural while i don't think dougs solo rimmer and lister conversations quite do that

13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

While I don't really have a scenario for it per-say, I have for a while thought that if done well having Jenny Agutter return as Professor Mamet might be good. That way too she would be less likely to fall prey to the issues of other returning characters being turned into a gimmick.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I remember when i first see Emohawk i thought it was great to see ace,duane and the polymorph back and i honestly still think they did a good job with it but i also think they got away with it because it was the first time in 6 series where they brought back stuff from the past and so it was a cool little thing... but since series 7 or 8 doug just seems to do it alot now and by the time he did back to earth where he did it loads i think no one appreciated it because he had already done it so much in 8

So i do hope doug just leaves nostalgia alone now, give us cool stuff like the starbug set and bazookoids because they were regular fixtures of the show but don't bring back for example something that was well recieved in 1 episode of say series 2 just for nostalgia sake

15. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'd genuinely love to see the return of talkie toaster as he was in series 4 in white hole. I think that would be cool just in a minor role.

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'd like some more classic rimmer/lister rivalry where they have good bickering and argue. I loved a lot of their exchanges between series 1 and 6. Classic dwarf.

18. jedshepherd

this could be framed as: Lister's real punishment for bringing Frankenstein aboard Red Dwarf wasn't Stasis, but a new BTL game, that made you think you were the last man on earth, a bit like Back to Reality but a punishment instead of a treat!

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Sounds awful. & would be another repetitive move on Doug's part.

20. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Some of these sound awful!!!

I would like some psychological timey wimey episodes like we had in series 5.