Ideal Red Dwarf Scenarios for New Season...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I have to agree that doing yet another "It was all just a hallucination" type episode really doesn't sound great to me. We've had that at least three times already with Back to Reality, In the Red and to Earth. I'd much rather see something else.

2. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I'd like to see them come across some 'Luchadroids' who were created to perform wrestling matches to GELF tribes who had seen tapes from earth.

The Luchadroids challenge the Dwarfers to a 4 on 4 elimination match, if they win they get the important gizmo they need (the reason they landed on this planet to begin with) if they lose they have to give up the Dwarf to the Luchadroids.

We could then see them studying tapes and trying to train each other to wrestle, followed by the big match.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Wow! Another terrible plot idea...if you please

4. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Oh you'd love it, the robots would insist on both teams cutting promos to the Audience, entrance music, colourful tights, you could have Hogie do a run-in and hit a Luchadroid with a steel chair.

This episode would be up there with Back to Reality and Gunmen of the Apocalypse, will probably win a Bafta.

5. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

There you go, that ties into my idea, every good wrestling show needs an audience.

They would have to pretend to be GELFs (or maybe BEGs).

6. simulant37

Believe me I would NOT "love it". The whole idea sounds pathetic & we should not be encouraging or promoting wrestling

7. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I have to admit that this sounds really awful. It just doesn't sound very Red Dwarf at all, even if we've already had the Cons vs Guards basketball match but look at how well that turned out. This sounds like roughly the same sort of basic idea, just strung out for the best part of a whole episode.

I could see this as maybe a Simpsons or Family Guy episode plot, but not for Red Dwarf.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I actually don't want the audience too involved in the show as this is a sitcom and not a stage show, the show survived for over 6 seasons without acknowledging the studio audience so I say keep it that way

One of my issues with BTE was that it felt too self aware

9. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I'm trying to think of a good team name. Boys From The Dwarf is a bit obvious, as is any variation 'Team Red Dwarf' or whatever.

Maybe 'The Teamsters'.

10. simulant37

Why? This will never happen...

11. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Well you never know.

What about finishing moves? I reckon Rimmer's would be the 'Soft Light Surprise' where he surprises his opponent by activating his soft light drive, they run through him, turn around 'BAM!' hard light fist to the mouth.

12. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I'm with Sim on this one, the idea of a wrestling just seems cringy......even more so now that the boys (as well as they have aged) aren't young anymore and would make it seem even more embarrassing to watch.

13. simulant37

I think you need to start your own thread about wrestling Red Dwarf fanfic...:roll:

14. Slainmonkey

I would like to see them exploring old derelicts again, to be honest that was something that lead to a lot of the show's best scenarios and honestly always was plausible given their situation. Again I know that's not really a plot idea so much, but I did thing it was a good direction for the show to take and did lead them into many of their most enjoyable encounters.

15. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Very good idea, thanks, though there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for it unfortunately.

16. simulant37

Nope. That's why you should start your own thread

17. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

About 15 years ago I actually wrote an ep on the lost cat ark. The RD crew landed on a planet that the Ark had landed and stayed on and the Cat race were its religious inhabitants. I remember I threw a good few jokes in, one in particular about Lister's eyesight and another involved Rimmer climbing a tree. Actually, if memory serves, both were parts of the same gag!

The only other thing I recall is we met Julias, Mr Cat's sibling.

I thought it was quite good at the time, but probably was a load of crap :-)

18. Slainmonkey

If Cat had a brother, wouldn't he be about a thousand years old after the events of series 6?