Ideas for Red Dwarf spin-offs

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, May 7, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Our Rob or Ross - the adventures of Kochanski, holo-Lister, Cat and Kryten.
    Parallel Dwarf - the adventures of Deb Lister, Arlene Rimmer, Dog, and Krystene.
    Red Dwarf 23 AD - the adventures of the Dwarfers walking from Britain to India.
    Talkie Toaster Tonight - Talkie Toaster interviews guest characters.
    The Call Centre - Documentary about the staff at All-Droid Shopping Network.
    Ace Rimmer, Space Adventurer - Ace's adventures in different dimensions. In a spin-off from a spin-off, Alphonse from Astro-Cuts gets his own show about hairdressing in the Theta Sector.

2. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I'd like to see something following the Space Corps in their glory days, following one of Rimmer's brothers and not set in deep space. I would like to see more of the time period that Lister and Rimmer came from. I think that the Americans when they attempted to make there own Red Dwarf should've done something along those lines and not rehashing what we already know.

3. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

A spin off where Lister and Kryten travel through time and Kryten gets kidnapped and things for having a stupid head and Lister has to rescue him bravely.

Zombie Smurf likes this.
  4. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Somebody made a joke about Red Dwarf needing a prequel in the same style as Enterprise the other day. I suggested a Red Dwarf- The Next Generation would be better starring Jim and Bexley Speed. The overall series arc being their attempts to change fate and prevent Bexley's hideous and painful death at the Navi-Com controls sometime in his mid-twenties...

Just like both Next Gen and Enterprise, it would be rubbish though.

5. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Bexley and Speed - a Crime drama following Lister's twin sons as they travel around the universe solving crimes whilst trying to find a way back to be reunited with their long lost father (or is he their mother?).

ori-STUDFARM likes this.
  6. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I like yours better

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I've realised that it wouldn't work as their surname would be Lister, not Speed. But oh well, I still think the adventures of Bexley and Jim Speed sounds like a great Crime drama haha.

8. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

That would work by having one or both change their name to Speed after their namesake, due to problems with their father (or mother, whatever he's classed as).

Would raise the question of why they are looking to be reunited with him though...

9. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

That's true. But I've also realised that Bexley is dead. It was Bexley that Rimmer saw explode in the drive room.

Yet, then again. In the opening crawl of Series III it says:
    So he returns them both? But I thought they couldn't change the future. So when does Bexley die?

Oh I'm so confused. My head hurts!! :dead:

10. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Well, the story can begin before that, and I suppose we have a major development set for later when Bexley dies. Can Jim defy the laws of time to save his brother? Or is the series doomed to continue as a one man show? Or was Rimmer just a smeg head and saw nothing conclusive, with future "Lister" being Bexley is disguise toying with his so-called "uncle" and space bum father at the end? Or maybe Rimmsy was in on it all along after all and is actually some sort of immortal space Moriarty?

Always options if you are prepared to be a bit... flexible, with continuity. Which Dwarf has so often been over the years.

Edit: thinking on it, if they are seeking to reunite with their dad/mum, then eventually they'd return to our universe to meet the condition of Bexley's death, no?

11. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Resolving this would make a great episode. The implication is that, at some point, Bexley returns to (our) Dwarf universe as an adult and dies in the drive room, which is what Rimmer saw in Future Echoes. I had a stab at a synopsis here.

12. Zombie Smurf

Zombie Smurf Supply Officer

Early years of hero - Rimmer's childhood. How he was bulying by his brothers, how was his relationship with parents...

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Maybe due to some weird time-travel paradoxy thing, that particular Future Echo was actually a Future Echo from the Parallel Dimension. Given Bexley is also aboard a parallel Red Dwarf, his Drive-Room is identical.

14. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

White Giant, the ship sent out to find Red Dwarf.

15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Found this on the main site. I assume this is all canon.

16. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Crap, I'd forgotten about that.

17. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Ah that's awesome, never seen that before, thanks.

18. Rudolph

Rudolph Third Technician

Rimmer becomes the manager of a leisure centre. Hilarity ensues.