Ideas for Series XI and XII DVD Extras

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CharlieTeague, Nov 8, 2015.

1. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Being a devoted fan of the show who also has an immense interest in what goes on behind the scenes, I'm always fascinated to see what each new DVD release has to offer in terms of bonus features.

With Series X I really enjoyed the insight the 'We're Smegged' documentary gave into what happened (and especially what went wrong) during production, but at the same time I was a little dissapointed by the lack of any cast or director commentaries on the episodes as well as any trailers or promo footage.

So with that in mind, what bonus features would you like to see for the next two series?

Off the top of my head I can think of a few:
    1. A feature-length 'making-of' documentary in the same vain as 'We're Smegged'
    2. Cast and director commentaries for every episode
    3. Deleted scenes (with commentary)
    4. Rushes for all of the model shots, including any that went unused
    5. A playlist of all the incidental music cues
    6. Animatics of any scenes that were written but never shot due to budget limitations
    7. A full uninterrupted timelapse of the Kryten make-up and costume being applied
    8. A picture gallery for all the concept art, especially for the sets

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yes commentaries please! 8)

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Commentaries with Doug Naylor are the things I miss most on the DVDs released thus far (though at least we did get one for Back To Earth and on some episodes in the Bodysnatcher Collection), and I'd love it if the new episodes feature them - but I'm not optimistic that there will be any. I wouldn't mind cast commentaries too, though I never find them all that interesting.

4. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

With the productions for Series XI and XII happening together, it'll be interesting to see how that affects the production of a Making Of documentary. Would that make things more difficult? Would both documentaries focus on different aspects? I hope we get to great and different ones!

5. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I'd imagine they'll have to change up the format slightly, perhaps make a documentary for each individual episode rather than the series as a whole, alternatively they could do production Vlogs where they tease stuff from series XII without revealing anything, a bit like the video diaries Peter Jackson did while filming the Hobbit trilogy.

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Doug's (and Ed) commentary was brilliant!
    Me prefers this.

7. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Yes commentaries are very important to me. You learn so much and the real person comes through.

I think they could get more material if they did games or challenges around the actual filming.

Like maybe having quiz shows among the audience etc.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I would love for some commentaries to be included. Ideally two separate tracks: Cast commentaries and one with Doug (featuring special guest such as the DP, Andrew Ellard and Richard Naylor) for the odd episode.

I'm not super fussy about this but I actually quite enjoy 'in-vision' commentaries such as those David Tennant et al featured in on the Doctor Who DVDs, and the most excellent Goonies commentary.

I'd also love to see a two part epic documentary (spread across both series' dvds).

Those are the main things for me. I also appreciate the animated menus and deleted scenes.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The rob and doug commentaries were funny and the Doug and ed bye commentaries were funny

Doug naylor alone is insightful but not funny... Hmm

10. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

How about some feelies?

Scratch and sniff curry & lager cards.
    Toast.
    A copy of Rimmer's astronavigation exam.
    A ball of cat fur.
    A smoked kipper.

11. Ant E

Andrew Ellard?! Seriously??! :shock: :shock:

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

To be fair, he does have editor duties on new series since BtE.

Mind you, there are plenty of others involved too on different aspects of the show, and they can't include them all.

Hearing from model guys may be welcome. Maybe nor on the episode commentaries themselves but as part of the documentary features.

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Really? I guess that explains his absence here...COME BACK ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Freeborn

Indeed. He's script editor and offers the odd good idea that makes it into the show. For example Lister waking up in the shopping trolley was Andrew's idea. So if this commentary idea were done on series X that's perhaps the episode I would suggest to have Andrew feature on. I thought it was good hearing from him during the "We're Smegged" documentary too, which is what inspired my idea to have him guest on a commentary track or two.

True. But I was thinking a nice varied selection would do for the commentaries. And it would give Doug someone to bounce off of (not literally obviously, that would be weird ;-) ).

Yeah I'd like to hear from them too. It could work on a commentary track if there's enough model work for them to talk about. But perhaps a section in the documentary (or a short featurette of their own) would work better with the visuals and all.

15. Ant E

I never took to him I'm afraid, Veggie.

16. Ant E

I never took to him I'm afraid, Veggie.

17. Freeborn

Yes I think you may have mentioned one or times before that you're not keen. He seems to be pretty good at that script editing thing though, and offers some interesting factoids about the show and it's creation.

18. Ant E

You are indeed correct, Vegetable! I should keep my ill gotten opinions on reserve until the DVD is released!

19. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Just what does a script editor do? :?

Get the apostrophes put in their proper places perhaps, sort out typos... :lol:

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

https://storify.com/ellardent/three-script-editors