Idly Pondering.............

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

I guess I could be the only one but, have you ever just wondered about something totally off the wall? I seem to have done that for a big chunk of my life. Here's a couple of idle musings I'd had recently.

1. Is Benedict Arnold mentioned in British history books? If so, how? His name is synonymous with "Traitor" here in the States for selling out West Point in our War for Independence from Britain. We, as in the Continental Congress and the Army, really did screw him over pretty bad his whole career to be truthful. He was a big part of why we won actually but was passed over for promotion and command repeatedly for far less qualified people. I can understand his anger to be honest. BUT, he DID try to sell us out to you guys so...... is he even mentioned over there? Just curious.

2. Who was the first person who looked at a cow and said/thought "Hey, I think I'll go squeeze those things hanging underneath that animal and eat/drink whatever comes out?"

Anyone else have any idle musings like this?

2. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

1. I have been asked things like this before from Americans wondering how we are taught about losing America and things. It isnt really taught here. America has what only about 200 years of History to cover, we had to go through medieval stuff, all the kings and queens, the world wars it never really came up. Maybe a passing chapter I think but I don't really remember it.

2. I would put money that it was @Abe

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  3. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

It's known over here that Benedict is viewed on as a traitor by most Americans, and he isn't really looked on as a hero here because we're British. I think he was actually disliked by the British to, for being a traitor to his own country, rather than seen as a sort of martyr figure
    Given his previous treatment, as he saw it, by his own country, and it's rejection of partial self governance, I'm not surprised he felt a bit miffed towards it

4. neilold

The first person probably was the first person to see an animal receiving milk and thought it must be good, considering him much calves loved it? I wonder if human mothers latched onto that idea and started breastfeeding, or did they already do it by that point?

5. BigOleDummy

I thought so to tell you the truth. But like I said , just idly wondered. Yeah, we're quite a young country as far as Nations are concerned. Heck, you Europeans have public restrooms older than we are as a nation. I remember seeing a tree trunk slice in a park in Germany that had world events marked at the appropriate ring. King such and such ruled "here", the Hanseatic League founded "here", etc. and the ring for "America discovered" was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY out near the bark. Mr. Arnold failed in his treason too, so that may be a part of it. If he had been successful in turning over West Point you fellers would have had a real shot of winning.

I think human mothers feeding their children would be instinctual myself. But just what possessed the first person to look at a completely different species and think, I got to have me some of THAT! And did they try ALL the animals? Skunk milk! Lion milk! (one brave Australopithecus afferensis there! :-D) We had some brave ancestors back in the day. Or just really really hungry :scared:!

6. neilold

Ah, but was it instinctual, or did it become instinctual over a period of time passing?

7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

There's that old story of Romulus and Remus being nursed by a lactating wolf.

8. BigOleDummy

Good question there!

Sure enough! Didn't even think of that one. And here, Roman history is what gave me the history bug to start with!

9. neilold

Forgot that myself. Then again the period I'm talking about, and presumably big ole to, would have being millions of years before that anyway

10. BigOleDummy

O.K. Here's another one I've pondered over more than once. I said it in an earlier thread but it applies here better.

I wonder who the first person was to smoke tobacco? Did some person just start pulling up every weed/plant they saw, dry it out , set it on fire and inhale the smoke? I mean, WHY would someone want to do that? As an experiment, throw a bunch of leaves together, light them, and then suck the smoke into your lungs. What's the first thing to happen? You cough your ass off that's what. If you have ever smoked, remember your first drag? Hacking and coughing, eyes watering like waterfalls. I get that after you get used to it tobacco does have a few attractive qualities , at first anyway, but that takes a while. So, WHY would anybody want to do that?

11. neilold

Ask Bob newhart

12. BigOleDummy

Now, that guy is FUNNY!

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I pondered lonely as a cloud.

14. Cloud

I am sitting with my wife and Cat I am not that lonely

Abe likes this.
  15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What's Cat doing there? Is Kryten in the kitchen doing the washing up?

Abe likes this.
  16. Cloud

No but I wish @kry102001 was doing the washing up

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  17. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

18. BigOleDummy

Idly wondering who and why someone shaved the very first time.

19. neilold

Idly wondering how they lay oil pipes across entire oceans, and how they repair them and figure out where the repair is, and then the process of repairing it on the seabed

20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I fell asleep in my basket while pondering who's booty needs playfully patting...

BigOleDummy likes this.