Idly Pondering.............

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Yeah , that's kind of how the majority of us here feel too :nod:.

2. BigOleDummy

Idly Pondering ...... What was the first word ever spoken? I mean a real word that people adopted as a general thing? Food? Mother? Love? Good? Bad? I think those are all good candidates but ........ ? Hominid word usage, if not a complete language, certainly pre-dates Fire and tool usage, but what was the first generally accepted, widely used word?

3. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

u, as in cup, it would have being a single syllable noise, something very simple and easy to pronounce, a bit like the ones uttered by the majority of users on here

4. BigOleDummy

Sounds about right, it being something one syllable and easy vocalized.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Bag of flour, whether it's been milled, or the type bought at a store. My pondering is this: if the bag is completely sealed, and is opened at an undisclosed time, where in heck did a weevil come from?

6. BigOleDummy

Spontaneous generation :-D! No, seriously I would imagine either from eggs that hatched or from the holding vats or even the conveyors/pipes that held the flour prior to its packaging. But that's just a guess. As an aside, have you ever SEEN the amounts of rat feces, hair and other contaminant's legally allowed in food!!! Its crazy and more than a little offputting. Will not eat another bowl of grits ever because of what I learned about that. (Not that I ever ate a LOT of grits, nasty stuff)

FeeBee likes this.
  7. Kittypaws

Bits I highlighted: ewwwwww! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  8. BigOleDummy

I know! If you want to go on a water only diet look over this, it will make you look at processed food in a whole new light. Of course, this is for the U.S. but I'm sure the British equivalent's are comparable. This is permissible in wheat for example :
    Wheat flour Insect filth Average of 150 or more insect fragments per 100 grams

As per the Food and Drug Administration :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels

this is only a partial list btw.

9. Kittypaws

*falls over in a dead faint*

10. BigOleDummy

I know....... its downright disgusting. The crap they let us eat just so huge corporations can make a few more dollars :shake:

11. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I worked admin for food saftey department. It made me never want to eat anything ever again. Used to work on a conveyor belt sorting vegetables and all sorts of interesting and scary things would come through.

12. BigOleDummy

I found a stickbug in my green beans once and have not eaten them since.
    [​IMG]
    Gross. Already cooked btw.

13. Kittypaws

Yikes! :eek:

14. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I used to work in a sausage factory, that's an eye opener, it never put me off eating then mind, I also ate the ones the factory produced to at dinner times. Start worrying about stuff like that and you'll never eat anything

15. BigOleDummy

That's quite true. I just can't eat grits anymore, period, because I now know what those little black specks are. I also refuse to eat a salad I have not personally made. I toured the Fischer Meat Packing plant once, a big reason I was a Vegan for 7 years, but not the only reason I must admit. Lol, I don't eat Bolonga to this day though.

16. Kittypaws

True. Though it seems as if we're all being told what to eat (superfoods - what the heck does that mean?), what not to eat - as whatever it is, is meant to be bad for us, yet in the next breath, what's supposed to be bad, is suddenly good. Then a few months later, it's bad again, and so on, and so on. Tea, coffee, wine, beer, etc, meant to be bad and to avoid it at all costs, the next... *sigh* It's getting so that you don't know what to eat or drink, and in the end, everyone will worry so much, they won't eat and drink, and might well end up starving to death. I don't know if that's an understatement or an overstatement, but it's left me facepalming.

17. BigOleDummy

I know. For forever it was "no coffee"! But now , its full of anti-oxidants so drink up! Same with Tea and Wine. I think, beverage-wise anyway, the key is moderation. NOT that MY coffee consumption is moderate by any stretch of the imagination :redface:. I drink my coffee black so there's none of the sugar's and fat that come with sweetener's and milk and I think that mitigates some of the "bad". There are many many foods I don't /won't eat anymore though. Mainly due to healthy choices but some, as I mentioned, due to what is in them. Very little processed meat for example.

18. Kittypaws

Cripes! I can't even drink coffee black..! Tried, and I was like: "ew!" Funny thing is, I can drink coffee with milk (don't ask why not cream, guess we only used to have milk in those days) and sugar (sweetners) cold, but not stone cold tea. My face goes a bit like a cat's pinched bottom, like I've sucked a certain yellow citrus, and I go: "blaaah!"

19. BigOleDummy

Lol, I was like that at first too. Did not start drinking it black until after I got out of the Army. Now....... I cannot and I mean CANNOT drink it any other way. Also piping hot! Even cool coffee gets tossed by me. Now, when I drink Tea I use sugar in it, hot or cold. Yeah, I like a glass of iced tea in the summertime. But way less sweet than you get in the south. Its like a cold syrup around here. As an aside, I've never in my life had real cream. Unless it was already in some candy or something like that. But , real dairy cream? Nope. Oh..... and even the thought of putting milk or cream in TEA is just .......... wrong :redface:

20. Kittypaws

Oh blooming 'eck, I can't even drink tea black..! :eek: