Idly Pondering.............

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Idly pondering ............ Why do they call the Super Bowl winners "World Champions" when ALL the NFL teams are American?

FeeBee likes this.
  2. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Yes - then if it turns out something is bad for you it was only ever a small part of your diet. I was drinking a litre or two of diet drinks a day last year, so if it turns out sweetener is really bad for you, I'll be screwed (that's another resolution - cut down on the Pepsi Max).

It's like investing in the stock market - have a diverse portfolio, so if one thing turns out to be bad it doesn't sink you :-)

So many things go back and forth that you have to hedge your bets, even when people are coming round to the idea that something is good for you. For food, I've completely lost track of whether sugar or fat is the real bogeyman, the case against MSG seems to be a fiction, and you hear stories (urban myths?) like the one that "dairy" was only ever included as a food group in the Balanced Dietâ„¢ because the milk industry lobbied for it. Most people in the world are lactose intolerant, and there are parts of Asia and Africa where almost everyone is. So it's surprising to see it included as one of the five pillars of dietary best practice.

I think we're still working all this stuff out, basically.

3. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Good question.

4. BigOleDummy

Agreed. And truthfully, I don't think it will ever be worked out completely. There's just way to many people, with too many gene combinations to ever have a "definitive" this is good and this is bad list. Just because a certain percentage of people see a little help with certain foods it does not necessarily mean that all will respond the same way. Allergies, gene sequences etc. Besides, we as a species are changing every generation. If we, modern humans, had to live on the diet our Dark Age ancestors did, we would get sick and probably die. Heck, if we had to drink the WATER that 95% of our ancestors did we would be in sad shape.

5. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Idly pondering how they get national viewing figures for TV. I know they use set top boxes, but the entire country doesn't have them, so how do they get the numbers for the entire nation? If it's extrapolated from the boxes and then scaled up, it's weirdly specific in it's final number

6. neilold

I suppose Superbowl winners are world champions, when no other countries challenge for it, thus, by definition, they are. I could run round my house then claim to be world champion at running round my house.

7. BigOleDummy

True, but would you make millions of dollars for it? I love my football, but I've always wondered about that "World Champion" bit. I really wish that NFL Europe thing from a few years ago would have caught on. Then we could have had a REAL World Champion Super Bowl. My BRONCO'S .... Kings of the World! Man..... that even SOUNDS cool!

8. BigOleDummy

Fun fact ..... I was a Neilson ratings guy for about a year. You would not believe how much crap they hook up to your T.V. for that. I don't really watch T.V. very much, so I would just get up from my computer every couple of hours or so and pick out what shows I thought I might like, and all the football games of course, tune in to them , then go back to my computer. They bought me cable, fixed my T.V. when it broke , put in a new dedicated phone line for them to use to send information back to Tampa and many other small perks. It was pretty cool actually........ and maybe part of the reason everybody got to watch "Friends" for so long :redface:!

Asclepius likes this.
  9. neilold

10. BigOleDummy

It was actually. They actually HOUNDED me to participate believe it or not. After I turned them down, repeatedly I may add, they sent a representative to my apartment to talk me into it! I was part of a demographic they were under represented for so my input was "valuable" to them. I had to sign a piece of paper saying I couldn't tell anyone for 5 years so I couldn't be "swayed" you know.

11. neilold

When I said cool I meant it. This still doesn't answer my ponderance though.

12. BigOleDummy

Oh, no clue about that actually. Except maybe extrapolation and that's what I'm assuming anyway. As I mentioned, they were crazy eager for me to be a part of it. "My" demographic , single white male in his 40's (at the time) was needed for some reason. So I guess they use all that and then use algorithm's to get a truer picture. They DON'T actually say .... oh 123,456,789 people/household watched this but instead say 123,000,000 people/households were tuned in.

13. neilold

Yes, but they also use tenths of millions to . I've seen tv ratings for the week with one program at number 5 with 10.2 million viewers, then one at number six with 10.3 million viewers. If it's all extrapolated why push one down to six, when it's so close they can't tell anyway, you might as well have 5 as 6 and 6 as 5. Why also have 'record viewing figures' if they don't even know anyway

14. BigOleDummy

Because each of those percentage points mean serious money for advertising revenue. Yes even the tenth's of millions mean big bucks. I'm sure @Pembers would agree with me on that, he IS in Marketing/Advertising.

Pembers likes this.
  15. neilold

Yes but it's meaningless to advertising execs to if it's not based on anything than just extrapolation

16. BigOleDummy

Its probably as close as they could/can get without wiring everybody up though. And actually, it IS kind of a pain having all that extra crap in your house. Lots of paraphernalia involved, at least back then. Plus they either can't or won't pay you to do it. Well, I got 2 dollars a month for the electric usage. And like I said, they DID fix my T.V. when it broke and offered to get me a new one if it couldn't be.

17. neilold

Well that's fine and dandy, like sugar candy, my point is that it's meaningless

18. neilold

another ponderance is how do birds find there way overseas with no reference points

19. neilold

also pondering how jumbo jets don't just drop straight vertically out of the sky when coming in to land and down to low thrust

20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Navigation. Bit like when I'm on the look out for catnip. Hang on - that's my nose I use for that.