Idly Pondering.............

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Pondering if people who have being blind all there lives see things when they're dreaming. Also do people who hear voices in there head hear it, like our inner voice when we talk to ourselves, or do they actually hear other voices speaking to them, like the voice of someone talking to you

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

First part of your pondering is a good ponder! I tend to doubt it though...... I mean what frame of reference would they have? Seems to me that you would have to KNOW what sight actually entailed before you could imagine it. If you had never actually seen a cloud say, then how could you dream of one? Puffy masses of water vapor in the sky as a description just doesn't translate well in the mind I wouldn't think.
    The second part, from all I've read /seen about things like that is other voices. David ........ Horowitz was it? ........ Son of Sam anyway, mentioned the distinct timbre of the "spirit" of the dog he "heard". Many schizophrenics mention the various voices they hear, if they were all the same as our inner voices tend to be, then how could they tell them apart? Have also read that some have accents and can even be other genders and/or can have other languages.

3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I once heard a really interesting Radio 4 programme where they introduced some lifelong blind people to an elephant and let them touch its face and stuff. It was really interesting when they talked about the elephants before they met them, because it made you realise just how little you'd know about an elephant if you hadn't seen one. It's not like we get much chance to interact with them physically in life!

If you've been blind all your life, it must be really weird hearing that things are "smaller" when they're far away. If you hadn't experienced sight or perspective, what would that even mean to you? Colours would be less baffling because they're just meaningless words - but you actually know what "smaller" means from physical interactions. So how do you make sense of perspective?

4. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Sorry just seen this.

Most of my experience is in B2B (Business to Business) Marketing so I'm not an expert here but essentially yes if affects the value of the advertising slots in/around the shows. It also affects the likelihood of the shows being renewed. The effectiveness of the promotion for the shows is also relevant, if ratings are down it could be not enough people know that the show is on and when.

Demographics are important because you need to know what to advertise during the show, it's no coincidence that booze and gambling is advertised during sports matches and life insurance during day time TV.

5. neilold

all wondered if blind people know when they're awake? If all they see is darkness, how do they know they've woken up and aren't dreaming the sounds they here? Also, before speaking clocks, how did they know if they'd woken up in the middle of the night, or if they'd overslept and it was a lot later than they thought

6. BigOleDummy

7. BigOleDummy

Actually, Kentucky has historically been a somewhat progressive state. ESPECIALLY for a "southern" one. I think its because we're a border state. We had a star on the confederate battle rag and sent about equal numbers of men to both sides in our first civil war. (yeah I see another one coming someday) It was Truly a brother against brother thing here. We were also the last State to abolish slavery. The Emancipation Proclamation only applied to the traitorous scum that tried to secede you know. But we also led the Nation in prison reform, in Women's suffrage, Black education and civil rights. We supplies some of the most honored progressive Supreme Court Justices , Louis Brandeis foremost among them. We were the home of Henry Clay, the Great Compromiser.
    Sadly, in the last 20 years or so we've abandoned all pretense of popular governance and turned into what can only be described as a theocracy.

8. neilold

Ah, gotcha

9. BigOleDummy

Idly Pondering ....... just what the names for wild animals actually meant to the first peoples who named them? Example: Lion is a two syllable word meaning the Big Cats , but did it mean RUN AWAY FAST AND QUIETLY to the first of the proto-humans who first spoke those syllable's? I find it ......... sorta hard to believe they just grunted out a few sounds and THATS what we call them to this day.