If David Ross had stayed as Kryten

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jasonthedrag0n, Oct 30, 2015.

1. jasonthedrag0n

jasonthedrag0n Second Technician

I think so but I prefer rob L

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's difficult to say (and I think maybe unfair to both men to try and speculate); but I do think that if he'd stayed as Kryten he'd be unlikely to still be Kryten now. Whether they'd have recast or written the character out entirely, I don't know, but I can't really envisage a 70-year-old Ross getting ready to film twelve new episodes in 2015!

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I'm not entirely sure how true this is but I remember hearing/reading somewhere that they tried to get Ross back for Series VIII to voice Kryten for the scenes where he's has been reset back to his factory settings. It's a shame they never did, for whatever reason, as it would have been a nice nod to the character's origins.

If Ross had remained Kryten I think the character would be completely different now, but I'm so glad the role went to Llewellyn because, not only is he fantastic in the role, Robert himself is an absolute legend and such a pleasure to meet.

4. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I would love the crew to somehow to somehow meet David Ross' Kryten, either time travel, parallel universe where Kryten didnt crash his bike etc.

5. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

It would be interesting but, as Seb states, Ross is now in his 70's so it's very unlikely that will ever happen. It would also run the risk of being confusing to the audience as, when a character is recast, you want the audience to almost forget the previous actor so that you can fully believe the new actor is the character. You could probably get around that with Kryten though, as I usually believe that he's different from Series III because of how Lister rebuilt him after his crash.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

In terms of the show i think we would still have got the same series 3 and 4 with very little change because they were not really writing around roberts version of kryten they were just writing for kryten

7. max1066

max1066 Third Technician

No and nooooooooooooooooo:eek: