If Doug had left instead of Rob...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant the Dragon, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Not without sounding like a petty arse

2. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Make any comment you wish. I just don't see the point in ressurecting a three year old thread about Rob Grant and Doug Naylor to make a statement that has nothing what-so-ever to do with Rob Grant or Doug Naylor.

If it warranted saying at all, maybe it should have had a fresh thread all of it's own. But I'm fairly sure it would have been deemed inappropriate to attack a former site admin and that the current site admin's would have put a stop to it...Lets face it, the statement itself has only been made to cause conflict and rile other users!

For the record, I agree with your initial posting that had it been Doug that left and Rob who had continued, there would still be negative comments spouted about the quality of Series VII, VIII and BtE by some members of the public.

Also for the record, I strongly disagree with the opinion that Andrew was disgracefully bias.

3. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Excellent, I'll be sure to make sure every opinion i have is the same as yours in future. I wouldn't want to 'rile' others. There was a post about the trailer on here a while ago which descended into talks about going bald... do you want to butt in that conversation too as it's "nothing to do with the topic"?

4. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

There's a huge difference between going a little off-topic and posting a pointless insult in a three year-old thread. The off-topic discussion is in fun, while this was merely you being posting an insult to, as Ori so eloquently put it, cause conflict and rile up the other users. There's a difference between disagreement and trolling, and this is clearly trolling.

5. ori-STUDFARM

Did I ever at any point what so ever say you weren't entitled to a differing opinion. I simply voiced that it wasn't an opinion I held.

As for the 'balding' comments in the trailer thread. Not the same thing at all. The baldness comments were sparked by the conversation about the trailer itself. It was not a thread that was resurrected after 3 years of inactivity by somebody suddenly deciding to make a random post about baldness!

6. Ant the Dragon

Well this thread is active now so that's my opinion! On that note, I'll re-open my question from three years back - who won the Smeg Outs competition as it was never announced!?

7. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

Anti Everything thank you for reviving this subject! I was not here then and I had the same question. I had to read a lot of crap in the past posts but they answered all of my questions.

8. Ant the Dragon

It just annoys me how biased the moderaters have become on this! But whatever... Ironically I have always stuck up for Doug and looked at red dwarf beyond the cgi and sets etc... Some people could learn From that instead of brandishing people "rude ANC unpleasant"!

9. ori-STUDFARM

So, if an opinion goes against what you say, it is obviously bias? Nice.

10. Ant the Dragon

it is when he's singling out two people? Did you read the post or just stop at the first line?

11. ori-STUDFARM

Again, you're confusing me with somebody who cares. I read it and didn't see any undeserved singling out.

12. Ant the Dragon

You know it doesn't count when you tell someone you don't care... Not that I care!! :-D

13. ori-STUDFARM

...and just when I think I have no time for you, you go and make me laugh! Good night :-)

14. ori-STUDFARM

Can I just add, a genuine laugh. Not a dig at you "don't make me laugh" kind of way. Cheers again :-D

15. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I just wanted to say that I have no idea what it would be like if Doug had left instead of Rob.
    And as far as Andrew is concerned, although I hadn't been here at a time that he was, I'm sure he was quite a nice person.

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

It's not that Rob was funnier than Doug, or that Doug was funnier than Rob. It was that - as Legion illustrated quite brilliantly - when people work together they are far greater than the sum of their parts. This is because ideas are sanity checked and tested, for a start. They really do need each other.

I honestly believe an episode like Lemons, a ridiculous episode even by Red Dwarf standards, would have been left on the cutting room floor or altered beyond recognition for the better if Rob was around to go "Jesus? Are you mental? You do know he didn't actually exist? And what's this nonsense about them walking halfway across the planet unscathed? Why is Lister not astounded and overjoyed about getting home? Rimmer wouldn't say any of this, nothing of what he says lines up with anything we already know about him. Have you thought about ANY of this?".

It would equally have something missing if Rob did it all alone.

Red Dwarf works when it's sanity checked for things that push it into cartoon territory.

17. Ant the Dragon

Agree. Although I quite liked Lemons! This is the show that has met Hitler TWICE!!!

18. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Very interesting points. I seem to recall Doug admitting that Rob did tend to be a bit more dedicated to continuity than himself, so I think you're probably right that certain things Doug has done may not have happened had they still been together.

And as you mentioned, I imagine certain things may be missing were the tables turned. That said however, I personally feel Doug has done a pretty good job on his own. But yeah, it's quite likely recent series' would've been even better were they still working as the well established and tested team they were.

19. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

It's an interesting question, what RD would be like under Rob Grant's control.

All I can suggest is that it might not be as funny, in terms of slapstick stuff, but it would have more depth and better attention paid to continuity, ramifications and so on. I say this because, since Rob left, the show has been much more shallow (in terms of subject matter and characterisation), and ideas have been chucked around with apparently little thought as to how they affect things. Examples would be reintroducing Kochanski, setting up a ludicrous back-story for Lister in Ouroboros, changing Rimmer's back-story in The Beginning and having Rimmer show zero interest/sadness when his own brother dies in Trojan.

As usual it's impossible to know which writer contributed what, but I think it's pretty clear from Doug Naylor's solo era that it was Grant who brought in the quality control and the depth.

20. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Grant and Naylor for me are the Lennon and McCartney of television and sci-fi comedy.:-D;-) For me series one is a very good, solid start and series 2 to 6 are perfect.

But let's accept it, it is extremely unlikely that they will ever write together again.