If Doug had left instead of Rob...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Rob has actually said in the past that he disliked Series VII so much that he couldn`t bring himself to watch Series VIII. He showed a little more tact when talking to Robert Llewellyn. :-D

2. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

A great post.

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Being blunt too - and this might not be popular but.......

They should have an end in sight, with a view to ending the whole series, maybe on 12 or something. Rob Grant should write the last episode with Doug.

But saying that, Richard Curtis and Ben Elton wrote Blackadder separately - they just wrote three each then swapped them (a bit like the way bodysnatcher was written). That could work...

4. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

It was finished via email. I don`t think they got in the same room when writing at all (though obviously they did for the commentaries and interviews).

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think it's necessary to have a definite end for the series myself, just so long as they don't end up with another badlly done cliffhanger ending like we had with Only the Good, I'd be happy enough for things to be left open-ended.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i wish rob grant would return but sadly i don't think he would and i think doug may wanna do the series himself now since he is directing also

i know rob grant said a few times he may write another solo red dwarf novel one day and that he has thought about it a few times, but he said that several years ago and nothing so far

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd really love a new Red Dwarf novel from either of them.

8. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Yep, the last time Rob mentioned this was a full 12 months ago on Twitter as far as I know.

Wasn`t Rob`s last novel way back in 2007 anyway though? I guess he doesn`t have to work as the DVDs must have brought him a lot of cash and he is in the nice `Brian Wilson position` of getting paid for any new Dwarf on TV without having to do any of the work.

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

They already have as Rob returned to complete the script with Doug for Bodysnatcher.

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

As has been said. . .

A brief reunion is NOT them sorting out their problems & getting back together. . .:roll:

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

He's been doing stand up and hosting comedy workshops so presumably he's not entirely inactive or in a position where he never needs or wants to work again.

12. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

True but I thought the stand up finished quite some time ago (with one or two posters on G&T not impressed with it).

And the comedy workshops are presumably a lot less labour intensive than writing a novel.

I`m not saying that Rob is lazy but sometimes when there is no necessity for a person to work, their production rate drops off. The same could be said for Chris Barrie and his acting career. A lot more palatable perhaps for him to attend the occasional convention and present the odd car documentary rather than audition for acting work.

13. simulant37

How do you know he is not auditioning for acting work? He may just not be getting the parts. . .:roll:

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

In an interview chris barrie said he once auditioned for hollyoaks before realising it wasn't for him

15. simulant37

Eh? He should take whatever work he can get now. . .don't be so picky Mr Barrie! :roll:

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

You're going to subtly suggest that you think this may be the case anyway? ;-)

It may be true of some people that the lack of necessity to work may inspire them to take more..."me time", or to be being less productive in whatever they were doing as a job previously, but interestingly what we tend to find (as in what various social studies suggest) is that the majority of creative people do not need money as an incentive to "work". It fact in many cases such monetary insentives can actually hinder creativity.

And so for this, and various other reasons, to suggest that Rob and Chris have just chosen to laze around rather than "work" and/or be creative would be, in itself a lazy assumption, would it not?

17. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Jeez... :lol:

Has anyone mentioned anything about `lazing around`? Only you. ;-)

The problem is that your comments don`t apply to Rob Grant obviously. It has been seven years since his last book which (I`m happy to be corrected here) isn`t down to the lack of a book deal. So it is either down to him wanting to do other things rather than work (nothing lazy about that) or down to writer`s block. And since the writing spli he has not exactly been prodigious...

18. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Yeah, that`s what I was referring to. I did see on his website a couple of years ago that he stated his availability for such work.

19. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Chris Barrie is Alan Partridge? :P

(Which could be quite a high compliment if you believe the baby cow rumours on other places.....Alan Partridge could save red dwarf in the end :lol: )

20. simulant37

God no that would have been terrible. . .:roll: