If Doug had left instead of Rob...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant the Dragon, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah-haaaaaaaaaa..! :lol:

2. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

"Smell my cheese ya smeg'ead!" :P

Dismembers likes this.
  3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

:roll:

4. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

So who won the Smeg Outs competition? :x:x

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yep. It is easy work for has beens! :roll:

6. Ant the Dragon

The whole thing is a total shambles. Rob and Doug - just man up, make up, write a new series, end the show after series 13 with a satisfying, high budget conclusion, such as they all die or something, and then leave Red Dwarf to be front page of the history of television books. Get on with it! AT ONCE!!

IF not, let me write it. I am very skilled, after all.

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

7. Ant the Dragon

Ghastly woman

8. Ant the Dragon

Mind your own business

9. Ant the Dragon

Why are you getting involved??? Doesn't even concern you.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  10. Ant the Dragon

And yet if you watch The Strangerers - it is as dreadful as most of series 8 (if not worse).

If Rob is sooooooooooooooooooooooo talented, why hasn't he done anything other than a few books since?

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I don't think its as simple as that since what exactly has Doug done since? make red dwarf... and a tv pilot of another show that i guess isn't gonna become a series.

Doug keeps going because he is making Red Dwarf which already has a strong fanbase and so you can probably expect a fair amount of support for it then you would if doug went to a tv channel with an idea for a brand new show.

Overall if it was Doug that left and rob that stayed yeah we probably would get a series 7 and 8 that while would be different to what we got it would still feel like something was missing.

The 2 work best together.

12. Ant the Dragon

Two series of the 10%ers
    An episode of that weatherman smeg
    And a novel

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Both Rob and Doug wrote the 10%ers, it was around that time that time they split up

14. Ant the Dragon

Nope. They wrote the pilot only. The rest was written by Doug and accompanying writers.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's right. One of the other writers was Paul Alexander, who co-wrote some Red Dwarf season VII and VIII episodes - unfortunately including the worst episode of all time, Pete Part II. I think he also wrote that not very good Children in Need sketch in 1998. Steve Punt of The Mary Whitehouse Experience and Punt PI was also a co-writer on The 10 Percenters.

The Ten Percenters is one of those shows that just never turns up on Youtube. Why is that? Even A Prince Among Men is on there now. Even Norman's Lovett's obscure sitcom I Lovett is on there. I've been waiting to see the pilot episode of The Ten Percenters again since it first broadcast. I remember it actually being pretty good (unlike the rest of the series).

16. Ant the Dragon

Err I said it first.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

But I said it better.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  18. Ant the Dragon

^^
    Baiting attempt #45

19. Comedy Store Fan

Comedy Store Fan Skutter

Wow, well the previous eight pages are an interesting and entertaining read! I daren't venture into the debate. All I'll give is my tuppence worth, which is that I think that Grant/Naylor are greater than the sum of their parts. Individually, their television projects vary wildly in quality, though I will say I love Rob Grant's novels. But together, and at their peak, there's scarcely any comedy writing team to match them.

FeeBee and Ant the Dragon like this.