If the Sun is so hot how comes space is cold?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Pembers, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Would all the air not get sucked out of your space suit then?

2. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

As long as you have no follow up questions.... No, it wouldn't.

Abe and Pembers like this.
  3. Cloud

I have no follow up questions. I accept what you tell me as fact.

4. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I love how seriously this thread has been taken.

5. Cloud

The best ****posts seem to spawn good discussion. Like the hot dog sandwich

Pembers likes this.
  6. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

What if you fart in your space suit - do you gas yourself?

7. Cloud

obscene

8. Kittypaws

9. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

Spaceman is here to bring you the facts that nobody else will bring u, like the noisy buzzing object in the sky that Cloud saw when he was coming home the other night. You probably thought it just a police helicoper or sumthing but it might have been Spacemans spaceship and it was following YOU!!!!!
    [​IMG]

10. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

If Spaceman is hot why is space so cold??????
    U CAN’T TOUCH THE SPACE BUTT!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Oh my gosh look at Spacemans butt!

11. neilold

neilold Science Officer

If there is one thread that should have spaceman comments, then it's this one

12. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

That's horrible...

Nikki the Great likes this.
  13. Kittypaws

Wiggle-wiggle!

14. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

[​IMG]
    Alga Cold says 'Dat Ass Tho'

15. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Or maybe "Please sit on that wrinkly saggy ass Laurence".

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I'm not sure if you're being serious here but this is very wrong. In space it's a vacuum which is the complete opposite of pressure. Your head would not explode true, but nor would it squash or implode. If it's just that my sarcasm detector's off and you're actually trying to be wrong, then good job.

My understanding is that it is possible to survive unprotected in space for a fairly short space of time with little or no long term ill effects, however it will not be a pleasant experience and it will require considerable self discipline. The individual should curl into a ball to present the minimum exposed surface area and -this would be the most difficult part- on no account try to hold their breath.

It sounds counter intuitive, but if you hold your breath in a vacuum the air in your lungs will expand rapidly rupturing the lining of the lungs so that even if you are rescued you may still end up drowning in your own blood. Allow yourself to breathe out as calmly as possible, or just open your mouth and let the air escape and you may last as long as a few minutes, after which a combination of asphyxiation, the extreme heat or cold (Depending on whether you're in light or shade and how close you are to the nearest star) and possibly your own bodily fluids boiling in the vacuum will kill you, but if you're retrieved fairly promptly you can recover pretty quickly.

But you won't explode.

IIRC Event Horizon has a reasonably accurate portrayal of what unprotected exposure to space would be like.

Space-suits are pressurised, if they weren't the astronaut/cosmonaut would be in a vacuum and almost completely unprotected and unlike living at higher altitudes on earth, you cannot adjust or acclimatise to living in a vacuum.

You also can't open the door of a pressurised aircraft cabin at altitude, they're specifically designed to prevent people from doing that. That's why cabin doors open inwards, the higher pressure of the interior versus the lower pressure of the exterior at cruising altitudes pushes the door closed. A structural failure of the door or fuselage around it would allow you to open the door, but if that happens opening the door becomes irrelevant anyway.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Right, it's not pressure but rather sudden lack of pressure. It wouldn't squash as in actually compact down, but the effects are like having yer 'ead squozed. The only humans to have died in space, the crew of the Soyuz 11 in 1971, were all found with blue blotches on their faces and blood oozing from their noses and ears.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Squeezing wont do anything to the head unless it's enough physical force to fracture or distort the skull, exposure to a vacuum wont cause that sort of damage. IIRC bleeding from the nose and ears can indicate a number of causes of death or injury and can even be completely absent in the case of skull fractures. I've luckily never experienced either so I can't comment on what it feels like but I'd not be surprised if a severe headache would be one of many symptoms you'd experience unprotected in space, probably a similar headache if your head was being squeezed strongly enough to fracture the skull, but the injuries and the causes of them would be different.

I do sort of see where you're coming from though, but I don't think you've explained it particularly well.

19. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

A spokesman for the Federal Space Agency in Baikonur, today made the following statement: "As of yet we have been unable to determine precisely what went wrong; though we are currently working on the theory that depressurization may have occurred whilst the cosmonauts were in the process of disguising themselves as Smurfs and taking cocaine. Which is standard practice during re-entry."

(The Moscow Herald - 8th June - 1971)​

20. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Haha smurfs cos of your height @Underdunn hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Underdunn likes this.