RDXI / RDXII If they'd been one series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

If only one series had been commissioned, it could have gone down as the greatest series ever. But twelve episodes back-to-back has seen sharp swings from belter to stinker. If I had to trim out the dross to make the best series ever, it'd look like this:

Krysis
    Give & Take
    Mechocracy
    Officer Rimmer
    M-Corp
    Skipper

I know M-Corp and Skipper haven't even broadcast yet, but they'll be great. If they're not, then I suppose Cured and Siliconia.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I think I'll wait until all episodes have been aired before assembling a single series, but so far, 'Mechocracy' is probably the only XII episode I'd definitely replace a series XI episode with, and I'd probably dump 'Twentica'.

3. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I was thinking about this yesterday and came to the exact same conclusion. But I'll need to see those last two episodes first

4. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I would probably have a similar list but have Can Of Worms instead of Krysis.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I'll wait till the end of series XII before I make my list, but I'd wager it'll look differed to other people's.

6. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

Cured
    Officer Rimmer
    Give & Take
    Mechocracy
    Siliconia
    Skipper

I expect Skipper to be best possible last episode. Definitely "laster" than Can of Worms.

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Slightly weird adding two episodes that haven’t aired yet. Still, you’ve always been good with presumptions, @Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Are you suggesting that people would like Timewave more if it went out next year instead?! Overall what a strange post.
    2/10 rating

8. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

So far my combined series would be

Give and Take
    Samsara
    Siliconia
    Officer Rimmer
    Mechocracy
    Twentica

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I mean to be fair, really I think Timewave has been the only outright stinker across Series XI and XII. That said I will say a personally feel Samsara was pretty average too, while it had it's moments, it was bogged down by a few really overlong and forced jokes, and very flat preformances by the guest cast. If there are 2 episodes I could truly do without so far, it's them!

10. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I would choose most of series XI over XII SO far. The biggest letdown in XI for me was Twentica. I just didn't like the guest cast and their American accents. The weakest of a pretty good bunch, so that's why is lose Twentica and exchange it for Mechocracy.

Cured was ruined for me by Hitler! And Siliconia just felt really bland, not anywhere near the quality of Mechocracy. Intact it's hard to believe the same guy wrote that fantastic episode and Timewaste... I meant wave :-)

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Sadly for me it would have to be 6 episodes out of X to XII and even then i don't know which ones id choose.

12. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Timewave was absolutely superb, genuinely can't understand why a handful of people on here have something against it.

Chris D likes this.
  13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

A handful? It's a handful that /do/ like it.

Abe and SweatyChimpBoy like this.
  14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I did like M-Corp more than Cured/Siliconia, so the list is still on track. And I think we're all convinced Skipper is going to knock it out of the park.

15. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Based on what I’ve seen and read, not so much. There appears to be a higher concentration of critics here, but I’ve seen very few critics outside of this forum. I have looked really hard!

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

17. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Hmmmm........

Officer Rimmer
    Can of Worms
    Siliconia
    Krysis
    Timewave
    Samsara (which has really skyrocketed in my opinion the more I've re-watched it)

So far anyway, there are still two more to go for some of us.

18. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Obviously I can't decide so far as there are 2 more episodes for me to go too. But I would certainly take out the less strong Can of Worms from series 11 and replace it with either Cured or Mechocracy.

But anyway it is difficult to come to a full opinion about series 12 just yet, because really I feel my true opinion of each episode and final rating will only come once I have rewatched each at least a couple more times when the blu-ray is released in a couple of weeks.

For example after a first watch Twentica was only a 6 for me, but then after a second it rocketed up to a 9.

So just have to see what my real, final opinion is after a couple more watches but certainly for now I would say Cured and Mechocracy probably are both up there with series 11.

19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

This is the only place where people would even bother wasting their time discussing such an utter wreck if they didn't like it. That's why it's hard to find criticism for any episode, let alone this one off a devoted forum or an assigned review. Mind you, many of the Red Dwarf communities out there think that the height of Red Dwarf is series VIII, and that not a single episode in the Dave era was any good before Timewave. Not sure how much I'd trust them.

Chris D likes this.
  20. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Siliconia
    Samsara
    Give and Take
    Officer Rimmer
    Mechocracy
    Skipper

For me, this would be as good as I-VI (and better than a couple of those series' too) if it had been like this.