If u dnt have Dave,Use this Legal way

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by stevenrankin, Apr 7, 2009.

1. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

A While back I came across this site www.tvcatchup.com You need to sign up and have a tv license. but that's it. Theres currently 18 channels to chose from Including our Current Favouirte Dave. It's Free to use .

I'm not sure if it works outside the UK. I think you need a UK License . If your outside the UK and u know someone in the uk who has an account why not use theirs I'm not sure how it works.
    All you need to get the channels Live is an Internet Connection.An Account .and a Tv License. So there you go

Theres No Catch You just need to sign up . It works great . Keep me posted if ur outisde the uk and my suggestion works

2. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

If you don't live in the UK you probably don't pay a TV license, hence it's not useful to most?

But I suppose for people on hollybobs who can get a good connection its great.

3. stevenrankin

yeah but use someones account who does have a tv licese. when u sign up it checks if u've got a tv license not sure how. but once u've signed up that's it. u can use it anywhere on any computer. so if u use an account that was created in the uk then sign in in america the site will just think the uk person has went on holiday. but there might be restritions i'm not sure. but it would go against the point of the site. the site says if ur away from ur tv in uni on holiday or just lazy to move away from ur pc u can use it. so with my logic it my work

4. holsy1982

holsy1982 Third Technician

Well thanks for the link, its a great help for me in general, but I'm afraid I doubt it will work for others abroad. It says only available on UK, and other ISPs may not allow it. It told me that Virgin Media (my ISP) was fine and works a treat, very smooth.

5. Miketysword

Miketysword Skutter

try using a proxy website, like http://defilter.co.uk/

6. TheAmazingDannyKing

You're breaking the law now, folks.

Viewing something outside the UK and using a another TVL / proxy to bypass a regional lockout is tantamount to not paying your TV license, unless you're on holiday and you're using your own TV license to sign up.

I'm not too ammused with the thought to be honest, as much as I want everyone to watch BTE. We pay our TV license for the right to this content, not so the world can see it for free.

(And yes, a TV license does cover the right to watch all TV, even if it does just *fund* the BBC)

7. stevenrankin

as much as i want everyone to see BTE I wouldn't support using the proxy site. and the only way it would work is if u had a friend who pays a UK license . I see it as borrowing a CD. You just borrow their account (with their permission) for the times the episodes are on. Don't take advantage of this nice thing ur friend is letting u do. Like if u borrow a CD ur not going to lend it every person who wants it U say I can't Its not mine to lend. The site itself is complety safe and legal. and u will not break the law using it. the site even though independedt from any broadcaster has deals with all these channels to stream their channels.

I do not encourge using the proxy site as that is just going to far but i hope it works without the proxy site . if it doesn't then sorry folks ,

8. TheAmazingDannyKing

It isn't really like borrowing a CD though, because that person can keep access to the channels we as UK citizens pay a TV license to watch, while the license holder also keeps the right to watch.

TV licenses cover the home anyway, using it outside of the home, certainly out of britain, isn't legal to start with is it?

I can't just lend someone my TV license?

9. stevenrankin

the site promotes using it outside ur home so it must be legal otherwise the site would of been shut down a long time ago

10. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

For those of us outside of the UK, it's not like we don't WANT to pay. If I could pay a one time fee (like $20 US) to watch this new special and have it on my DVR to watch again, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know a DVD is forthcoming, but waiting two months while my UK counterparts have already seen it is just torture. Regional lockout is just a bad idea, imo - pirates will still find a way to obtain things illegally, and legitimate customers just get screwed. It's ultimately a flawed concept.

11. TheAmazingDannyKing

Your TV license covers the TV's in your home and, for example's sake, yourself if you're on holiday in a Caravan in the middle of Wales etc.

What it does *not* cover is handing it out to people in another country so they can watch it to. It isn't transferable, otherwise the whole nation could share one license. And this isn't just about BTE, it's the fact of people gaining access to British terestrial television as a whole without having to pay what the *British* pay for it.

As for the non-British argument, I sympathise, but the British system is the way it is, it shouldn't be skipped just cause you're not British. It was designed for the British people and not for those outside it, so it's not really going to work that way sadly, unless Dave decide to broadcast in countries outside the UK Free-to-air on Satalite etc.

It will become available in your reigon eventually, so the decent thing to do is wait until the DVD release a mere 8 weeks later.

12. psychobillygirl

psychobillygirl Skutter

Agreed, I'd gladly pay to be able to see it at the same time as everyone else. I'm utterly annoyed with pbs detroit right now for not even responding to emails (they normally do). DVD will be nice, but that's in how long? and you are right, it is torture, which unless there's some type of unmentionable activity involved, is no fun at all.

13. stevenrankin

did anyone use tvcatchup to watch bte and was it good. i didn't watch it on tvcatchup i watched it on a 'normal tv' with my family.

but i hope if anyone did use it it worked okay