Illegal Downloads

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by tippy922, Apr 11, 2009.

1. kroppeur

kroppeur Skutter

think of all the poeple who discover something new by dwnl it and then like it and buy product from it

2. kroppeur

kroppeur Skutter

are art and enterteinment only for the riche ? all the other look at the wall ??

anyone who enjoy red dwarf and can will want to have the full red dwarf dvd collection on their self

well i know i do

3. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Why?

What is it about waiting 8 weeks that drives people seriously nuts? I've yet to hear a decent argument about why not being prepared to wait is anything other than impatience.

4. NodNolan

NodNolan Skutter

People download it's not going to stop anytime soon.

The one thing I really don't understand is people thinking downloading TV programmes doesn't hurt because you're not paying for it. In the UK advertinsing fees are generated by viewing figures, the higher the viewing figures, the more advertising revenue can be generated for better programmes.

In the case of foreign territories, the amount that any programme can generate is again conditional on THEIR viewing figure, so if people in say the US don't watch because they've seen the torrent, You're hurting the makers of the programme because they can't maximise their viewing.

SKY TV have had to switch to almost instantaneous showings of Lost and 24, due to the amount of people torrenting, so they obviously had severe dips in viewing figures by doing the old thing of waiting for the a time when they can show all the programmes in a run (omitting the odd week gaps that are in the US).

So if you do torrent, PLEASE make sure you attempt to watch it on TV too. Hopefully soon there will be a decent online TV model similar to spotify that will get money back to the creators.

5. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

This has to be someone from Dave posting. No one in their right mind seriously thinks like this.

And no, it's not illegal if you live in another country.

And no, it's not illegal because it's no different from saving it on a VCR.

6. beesbees

beesbees Skutter

You do realise that if you're not in the sample of people that they estimate the viewing figures from, whether you watch or not has NO effect whatsoever?

Viewing figures are a load of cack mostly... people put way too much emphasis on them.

7. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

Jesus christ, some really uneducated people in here.

Downloading files isn't stealing, like some adverts would have you believe, but it IS COPYWRITE INFRINGEMENT. It is illegal in the UK. End of.

8. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

WRONG. When you record something on a VCR you are not distributing it. When you download it from a Torrent site, you are.

9. beesbees

beesbees Skutter

Say I downloaded it directly of RapidShare or something, is that illegal too?

I'm not distributing it, Rapidshare is. With torrents you're uploading the parts you've downloaded already to other peers, so I can understand that you are distributing it, which is illegal.

The law is totally stupid on this...

10. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

Correct AFAIK.

Your liability is infinately reduced if you are using rapidshare.

11. Wuggyboobeaufuf

How is that different from having someone over to watch a program at your house?

People are *way* too quick to defend corporations over their own rights.

And yes, I *do* own the RD dvds.

12. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

There is a huge difference. In your example, you are not giving another a copy.

If you recorded something off the tv, then created a copy of it and gave it to your friend, then that would also be copywrite infringement in the same way as downloading from a torrent site is.

Even if you do own the RD DVDs, if you download them from a torrent sight or via something like limewire, you are contributing to giving other people copies which is an offense.

13. bossman

bossman Skutter

who would want to download this rubbish?

14. Wuggyboobeaufuf

You're not allowed to lecture me until you can spell copyright properly.

15. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

Nothing says "I lost an argument" like a resort to pedancy ;-)

Apologies for my spelling.

16. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

Maybe it's not illegal (though it is) but I dislike downloading.

The only things I have downloaded have been things that I desperately wanted that I have NOT been able to buy no matter how hard I have looked, or tried for some reason or another I cannot purchase it so the only way I can get the music (always has been music) has been to download it....and usually if it turns out I can't buy it's obscure enough that the artist has it for free download.

And even with that I have downloaded very very little.

If I love something enough to want to own it I pay for it. Because I believe in supporting the artists who create it. (BTW at least once I have had an opportunity to buy something that I had downloaded, I jumped at the chance, bought it and deleted the download which downloads I've found are also at a very poor quality. I'd prefer to spend money and get something with good quality.)

17. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Apology accepted, you're still wrong about downloading TV shows.

18. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

I'm a lawyer, I'm not. ;-)

19. Wuggyboobeaufuf

A copyright lawyer?

20. maverickuw

maverickuw Skutter

There's a few arguments I thought of in my time away, and from reading what is written.

1) Can someone please explain to me what the actual difference is between recording a tv show and watching it later (DVR, VCR) and downloading it, watching it, and deleting it is? Did you also know that if you record a TV show to VCR, DVD, or DVR and watch it more than once, you're violating international copyright law?

2) Who controls something you purchase? Did you know for example you could buy Series 1 from iTunes, and later have them decide they don't want you to have it, and then they could legally deny you access to it? Did you know that when you buy a DVD, they can legally deny you the privilage of watching it, as under their rules, they are only selling you a piece of plastic, and that the content of the disc is only licensed to you?

3) Do you live in Canada? Did you know that if you live in Canada and have owned a computer, iPod, DVR, or even bought a recordable dvd or cd that you can legally download anything you want from anywhere in the world? Canada has what is called a recordable media tax that is put on anything that could be used to induce copyright infringement. Aka, they're charging you the cost of things that you might infringe. While it has been upheld in Canadian courts that it is illegal to distribute copyrighted material, every Canadian has full legal immunity from downloading.

4) Madonna is a great example of people's misunderstanding of the system. One of her concert tours many years ago, she was paid $200 million US (for one concert season). Based off of CDs, she'd have to sell between 100 and 200 million copies to get that money back herself. For artists, the CD (if professionally produced) is not where the money is made.

For independent artists, have you ever thought of the concept like what Radiohead did? Offer your music for legal download, with people paying for it from your website for cheap, or let them name their price. The music industry resisted legal music sales, saying no one would buy music online when they could pirate it. How many BILLIONS of songs have been sold through the iTunes store alone?

5) BitTorrent in itself is not illegal, and has many legal uses. Did you know there are digital media companies in the UK that use BitTorrent to distribute their own material?

Have you ever played World of Warcraft? Did you know the Blizzard Downloader that downloads patches and updates for the game is a Bit Torrent Client?

6) Did you know that even talking about the content of a copyrighted material is in itself a violation of US, UK and EU copyright laws. This is why many sports have the disclaimer about "written permission from"...

Legally, Dave as the current backer of Red Dwarf could decide that they don't like what people are saying about the show in these here forums and anyone who's actually said anything about the content of the show could be prosecuted for copyright violations.