Illegal Downloads

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by tippy922, Apr 11, 2009.

1. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

An 'intellectual property' laywer is my eventual goal, yes. But I'm not qualified yet. Wikipedia has a pretty good summary :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#British_law

2. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

That's why it's *always* better to buy real media than downloaded mp3 and video.

3. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

Yeah the music industry is having great success with that tactic... :roll:

4. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

When you download from the internet from a torrent site, you are often also distributing it, which is an offense.

Whilst you download, you are also distrabuting on torrent sights and you are not immune in those circumstances.

That is not a justification for downloading.

Yep, they give free permission of use.

Statute / caselaw?

5. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Well seeing as IP lawyers are only around to devise ways for coporations to make more money, and to take away the rights of normal people, I'd advise you to seek another profession.

And you're still wrong.

And someone in Canada wouldn't be subject to laws in another country, much less continent. Not for downloading a TV show for personal use.

6. Lordhp

Lordhp Skutter

Man, you have got me out of my chair. Of course I own Red Dwarf DVDs. I will of course buy the BTE dvd when it's aviable. My point is, and I'm not sure if you have discussed it here, that I am from Czech Republic (tiny hearth of europe). We don't have Dave television. We don't have Sci-fi channel (now SyFy though)

Still, I have seen whole Battlestar Galactica and whole Red Dwarf including episodes of BTW. I have cooperated on BSG translation into our language. I know people who have cooperated on dubbing of BSG (what was made out of our subtitles btw). Those pople would not have access to those things if there were no torrent. So what? There should be awful translation? How those people should know the series, how could they even participate on translation?

There's one nice point about translating -- most of the times those people of Czech television are making it for money. Not because they love the show. And then, you can imagine the difference of it by youself :-)

7. maverickuw

maverickuw Skutter

Nitefly, you're wrong on one account. If you're downloading from a place like rapidshare, then you're not sharing as you download. By that comparison, would you still be breaking the law?

Some ISPs block bittorrent sites, and in those cases, places like megaupload and rapidshare are the only option. So wouldn't your argument go away in those cases?

And it's possible to download with bittorrent without sharing

8. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

I'm not wrong, because I already accepted that using rapidshare dramatically reduces your liability.

I can't be bothered to argue with you any more lard, but I will have the last word in saying it's hilarious watching someone try to argue something they know absolutely nothing about :lol: