In Defence of Red Dwarf USA

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by BadWolf117, Oct 7, 2013.

1. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

Last weekend my friend and i watched the american Red Dwarf Pilot on youtube
    and it turns out that its not as bad as everyone says it is

obviously The UK version is far more superoir but i still enjoyed the alternative universe aspect of it

Craig Bierko's Lister (while not being the definitve Lister that Craig Charles is) wasnt that bad in fact despite he
    was rather likable and had the lister stupidity. his relationship with Kryten was a highlight as both actors seemed to work well together

Chris Eigemen's Rimmer while not getting as much screentime was rather good (despite being classed as Weak by Craig Charles)and while he and many actors could never potray the definitve Rimmer like Chris Barrie but i think Eigemen does a good job playing a Rimmer-lite version but he still seems alright.

Robert Lewellyn well he is the true star of the USA version- playing it like a cross between the UK version and Bender from Futurama (minius the hookers, boose and smoking) really makes the tv movie special especially his chemestary with Bierko

Hinton Battle while having the smallest screentime really did the Cat justice- he had the same energy as Danny John Jules and well he did a great job with it

Jane Leeves as Holly...well she has some good moments but all in all i wasnt really taken with her performance.. i wish they had a male holly perhaps or just toned down the kookyiness

however i still have issues with the Kochanski who was even more annoying and unlikeable as Chloe Annett and yeah there were some problems with the script and well a few iffy moments but what im trying to say that it wasnt totally a faliure
    in fact im sure it would have potential...i kinda wish it was made after Series 6 that way if it did go to Series then atleast we would have had Series 6

but thats my opinion and i liked the theme despite that Howard Goodalls music is superoir

2. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I actually found some of the bits that were new (as in, not recycled dialog from the UK) to be pretty funny. One of the biggest problems was the delivery of the UK lines... it was as if they were performing a mock play of Red Dwarf. It's a shame the project was sabotaged from the get-go by the typical Hollywood "It's my way or the highway" mentality.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I have to agree with Craig Charles: I thought Eigeman was terrible. I agree that Bierko was pretty good, but there's just no substitute for the original actors. The main problem for me was that the show was too Lister-centric and doesn't feature enough Rimmer. They were also cramming far too much story into the half hour.

It would have been interesting to see what a full season of Red Dwarf USA would been like. I suspect it would have been very different to the British Red Dwarf.

4. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Could you imagine the first season of 22 episodes of the USA version having all the stores of season 1, 2, 3 and just over half of 4 in them?! That or they just used Series 1 and 2's episodes with a hell of a lot of new stories written, most of them would have probably been ship centric with little interaction with other life forms or excursions off the ship for budgetary reasons.

In 3 US seasons of Red Dwarf they would have had 60+ episodes.
    It took 10 UK series of Red Dwarf for us to get that many!

5. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I would of thought they would have a bigger budget than the UK version. With so many episodes in a season there probably would of been a lot of rubbish episodes.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Robert Llewellyn's Man In The Rubber Mask has a good amount in it about Red Dwarf USA, and very interesting it is to read too.

There were some bits of Red Dwarf USA I thought were amusing, especially the "my baseball cards will be worth a fortune" line - a good counterpoint to the UK "I've still got that library book". However, I am thankful it wasn't made, as otherwise we wouldn't have had any more UK Red Dwarf since series 5, and chances are we'd all be cynical people getting annoyed at people thinking the USA version was great and moaning about how inferior it is to the short-lived UK original.

But - how good would Red Dwarf USA be to those who've never seen the UK version, which one would Americans (RDUSA's prime audience, after all) prefer, and aren't we (well, the ones who've seen RDUSA and slag it off) being a bit harsh because we like the UK version so much? Or am I talking complete and utter smeg?

7. Murray

Murray Second Technician

It just couldn't work with Craig Berko as Lister. The whole idea of Lister is that he's an ambitionless, disgusting, curry and lager downing bum. Having a tall, good looking man play him just ignores the point of the character.

Speaking of the second pilot, I'm really not sure what they were going for with Terry Farrell's Cat. They turned the character into a hyper-aggressive, abrasive one. Doesn't scream "cat" to me.

8. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

From my memory of seeing the US pilot they used up so many jokes from an entire series or two of the UK ver in just 2 plot shows. I'm not sure there would have been enough original material left to make a full season ? :?

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It is indefensible.

Terrible terrible terrible. :roll:

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Your internet persona is really beginning to grate now. Do you think it might be time for a new gimmick rather than a negative remark followed by a rolling eyes smilie?

11. simulant37

Its not a "gimmick". I am expressing my opinion. That is all. . .:roll:

12. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Bluey's right. Look at this thread. Plenty of good input from posters who actually have something to say. When I scrolled and saw your username I wondered what remark it would be this time followed by a roll-eye. Change the record, eh?

Hmm, is the "Stop Cyber-Stalking Me!!! :x:x:x:x" response coming? :roll: :P

13. simulant37

No. But I won't "change the record". I will post my opinions as I see fit. . .:roll:

14. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

And you're right to do so :-)

Negative you may be most of the time. But honest.

Anyway, to the topic. I quite liked the first pilot. Hated Terry Farrel as the Cat in the 2nd one tho. Totally un-Cat like.

Craig Bierko was likeable and the first Rimmer better than the second. Hinton Battle was good too. Would have liked to have seen more eps really.

15. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I think it's interesting that Rob and Doug have completely different memories of the pilot.

Doug's memory is: 'We wrote a great script but they wouldn't let us film it'.

Rob's memory is: 'The filming went well but the edit was terrible'.

16. quichechance

quichechance Third Technician

I didn't think the pilot was well-done, but I do think that there could have been some potential there, especially with re-casting some of the actors. That said, I think it's for the best that it was never made.
    Personally, I think if there'd be an American sci-fi sitcom set in space, I would love to see it more along the lines of a "dysfunctional office" type sitcom. You may be travelling the speed of light, but you're still going to have to contend with overly long office meetings, lawsuit-fearing bosses, paper jams in the copy machine, the co-worker in the next cubicle who hums too loudly, etc.
    As for work experiences unique to a sci-fi era - well, imagine the sensitivity training that staff would have to sit through before being allowed to have a hologram or android on board! Do androids or holograms qualify for health insurance benefits? Do skutters have better unions that some human employees? Can spaceships sell advertising space (not just inside but outside, like ads on the side of a bus?) Are you forced to wear really nerdy spacesuits with ridiculous logos because you have to keep your corporate sponsor happy?
    Not to stereotype, but I can just imagine American sitcom writers doing better with that kind of material.
    (I'm American, by the way. :-))

17. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I still have yet to watch this. I need to make some time to check it out on YouTube. Although I think it will hurt my brain to see anyone other than the original three playing Lister, Rimmer and the Cat. It will be like taking a peak at the viewing screen in Better than Life after the new players took over.

18. simulant37

Thanks. I now feel fully validated in ALL that I do! 8)

19. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

Well, I grew up in the US... and at first it was kind of hard to understand the dialect the UK actors had, and there are still quite a few phrases mentioned throughout the regular Red Dwarf trilogy that in America people cannot understand. Like there were many jokes involving people that in Europe you may know, but in the US we don't. I'd say that might had been the reason the US wanted to do their own version, but as complimentary towards the actual UK Show... I wouldn't had asked for a better acting crew and everything else was phenomenal. I am rather glad to know that the US didn't go as far as a few episodes because it felt like I wasn't watching Red Dwarf hardly at all. But I think partly about Americans, I speak for others... a lot of American Comedy is really nothing like Red Dwarf anymore. It is directly influenced by the dirty humor people have in Reality TV Shows, with sex jokes in almost every episode. Whereas in Red Dwarf UK, there were many silly but also pretty articulate jokes that would throw me off.

20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

The only thing that confuses me is Kryten: why was he placed on board as an established character when he hadn't even been picked up yet?