In Memory

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 5, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

I told myself for the past week I wouldn't do this but I cannot help myself. On this day, the 5th of January of the year 1999 , the best friend I ever had died. Like me or hate me Junior is/was the person most responsible for making me the man I am barring only my Mother. He was my Mentor, my Muse and my Friend. He took me under his wing and taught me things in the Carnival business that no one else would. He was by my side when my divorce from Mary was finalized. (No I did not want that divorce) He was there for the good times and especially the Bad times. I admire him as I admire no one else still. The world lost a good decent man that day. Flaws? Yeah, he had some. Most especially the Demons inside him that drove him to the drug use that eventually killed him. Overdose. I miss him to this day.

Rest in Peace my Friend, I hope you found the solace you strived for.

Pembers, FeeBee, Asclepius and 3 others like this.
  2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

I'm sorry BOD. Don't feel bad for feeling like this. Anniversaries are significant in things like this.

As you're aware, I can relate. I'll share with you something a counsellor said to me recently, when I was doing my usual being hard on myself for "not getting over it properly".

She said, it's one thing when a pet or a celebrity you admire dies. When an elderly relative or someone with a terminal illness dies too. But nothing on this earth can prepare you for a friend or loved one who dies suddenly and unexpectedly, long before their time. The grief is more intense, the feelings of unfairness, anger and guilt are out of this world and it takes much longer to heal, if ever fully. So please don't be hard on yourself for feeling this way.

I'm sure Junior was a wonderful person and a great friend to you. And I'm sure you miss him terribly, and that's ok. I'm just sorry it's painful and I hope you're at a stage where the good times can be recalled without the hurt taking over.

Much love and RIP Junior x

Abe, Cloud and BigOleDummy like this.
  3. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Well said. While I am sure your friend wouldn't want you to be sad there is never any shame in never getting over the death of someone that close to you. If they were that great a person they warranted near 20 years of feeling like that. Nikkis councilor seemed to have some wise words and especially on an anniversary it is nice to remember him and keep his memory alive.

Nikki the Great, Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  4. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Yes, the good memories predominate. When he and Kim brought his son home from the hospital after he was born. Man, was he happy and the party was epic! "Trust me, you'll like it". He told me those same exact words twice and both times he was : 1 - totally correct and 2 - changed the whole trajectory of my life. Setting up in the mud in Saginaw Michigan. The time we took his son trick or treating in West Palm Beach. When he and Kim ran off to get married, I was the one her father came to (with a pistol mind you) to find out "where they were". Well, where they were was hiding in the closet in my room before going on their Honeymoon. Junior laughing at my terror of getting shot but not "giving them up". The jumps we rode together. The time I was getting weed for us in Georgia and was pulled over by the Sheriff with a quarter pound. It was just a shakedown, he only wanted money "for the fine, since I was out of state and he knew I wouldn't come back for court". He followed me to Juniors trailer (so I could get the money for the "fine") and the FIRST thing out of Juniors mouth was " Glad you brought Scotty back"! I had been telling this guy for 2 or 3 hours that my name was Greg Hoth you see.........
    He was the ONLY person I let call me "Scotty" btw. I hate that name.
    I miss him more than I miss my Father if that tells you anything.

5. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm so sorry for your loss, dude... :-(

Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Having read all your stories, it seems like you lost an excellent friend who you have every right to miss however much you damn well please.

Kittypaws, Nikki the Great and Cloud like this.