Info needed on the current status of Red Dwarf.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Mar 27, 2010.

1. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I've never been on this forum before. But i just wanted to know where the future of Red Dwarf stands? I've grown up with Red dwarf and have all series and speicals on DVD. I loved it so much when it returned for a speical on DAVE. So....
    will there ever be a movie?
    is there actually going to be a new Dave series? will that be series 9?

2. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Scripts have been commissioned for a new series/episodes on Dave. Technically it will be series 9. There’s lots of speculation and it does look likely that it will happen at some point in the not too distant future.

3. betelgeuse

just actually bothered to check wikipedia, and it says that its been confirmed and filming starts this year! That's crazy! it's like doctor who, it's gone on so long not being commisioned or whatever, and the response to that DAVE speical was lukewarm I thought, so i'm very impressed there's gonna be a new series! i hope it's inventive!

4. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Excellent!

5. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

That's new to me, and I think the newest piece of official news any of us have seen in a while. Fingers crossed! Hopefully more information is revealed at or before Dimension Jump.

6. betelgeuse

Great we're getting some fresh news on the first thread I set up on the Red Dwarf forum!!! lol
    I find it odd Robert Llewellyn hasn't said more about upcoming Red Dwarf on his youtube channel!

Does anyone have any footage, or can find anything on youtube from doug naylor or any of the cast or any dimension jumop footage of llewellyn apparently announcing new series of Red Dwarf to be filmed in 2010 (as stated on wikipedia)???

Seems to me...this is all guess work mind....that there is a new series in the pipeline, that probably something will be announced at dimension jump in July. I'm interested as to;
    A) what channel it will air on (as DAVE is most likely, but BBC has just a week ago had Lllewllyn launch a 'Red Dwarf-comedy greats' comepetition, which is rather out of the blue for the BBC!
    B) who will be writing, and what will the main arc of the next series and wether it will be series 9 or 10!?.....
    I'd think Naylor would be writing, however for the 8th series of red dwarf and the speicals the writing wasnt that great! and the rumour that naylor plans for the crew to get stranded and not travel in space at all isn't good!!! I think it should be series 9 (hinted at in the speicals) and that naylor should be lead-writer but it should be more like doctor who with different writers doing an episode a-piece! It'd also be great if they could get Rob Grant on board to at least write an episode!!! Chris Barrie could write one too - he's written for red dwarf in the past hasn't he??!!!

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Not at all - that was BBC Worldwide. I know it gets a bit confusing, but BBC Worldwide are essentially a completely different entity to 'the BBC'. They're the 'commercial' aspect.

BBC Worldwide have always supported Red Dwarf - they sell the shows overseas, licence it for home video, etc. Their involvement in advance is part of what makes the show possible. They were involved when it was on BBC2, and they were involved when it was on Dave.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

This is the first time I've ever heard that rumour. Which means it's likely just speculation a fan wrote at some point which grew with the telling. Although where, I don't know, this being the first time I heard it, etc.

9. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I heard that rumour. I quite like the idea. A sort of Lost in Space or Land of the Giants approach. Maybe there'll be other cat-folk on this world, and simulants and gelfs all vying for power. Perhaps there'll be vicious predators and bizarre patasites to contend with. There are all sorts of possibilities.

10. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

or a new lifeform evolved from 1 of Lister's 3million year old dirty socks

11. Yule Sleigher

They have to maintain some decency!;-)

12. betelgeuse

Don't get me wrong, if Naylor is on form I think they'd make it work, but I'd rather that the crew got stranded after the events of the 8th series perhaps and there was a pastiche of Lost perhaps lol and that this could go on for a few eps, or even half the series perhaps, but not the whole series.

13. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

I quite like the image of the crew being stranded on a planetoid or some such with Red Dwarf jutting out the ground like LV-426:

[​IMG]

14. betelgeuse

so do I, but for a whole series? i would like at least som space travel, maybe they could 'book-end' the series with episodes set in space, whilst the rest of the series is based on the stranded crew!
    and I didnt imagine the dwarf was the vessel that crashed, thats good thinking!!!
    I love Alien! Ridley Scott is doing another alien movie you know! he has an 'untitled' alien related movie in the pipeline.

15. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

If that Alien prequel has a living Space Jockey (or xenomorph homeworld), I don't think it'll be a movie I want to see. ;-)

16. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

I know that Doug would like to see a movie made - goodness knows he spent enough time raising the money for it - but if the next series DOES get made and is a success, how likely do you think a movie would be?

17. Yule Sleigher

I was never anxious to see a Red Dwarf movie anyway, but I doubt anyone would invest in such a project now unless it was a complete reboot with a flashy new look and a new cast so I would want to see it happen even less.

18. betelgeuse

I abhor (is that a word? hhmmm) the idea of a new cast in a red dwarf film. The guys are getting old now, granted, I mean - i looked on their wikipedias and they're ranging from late 40s to mid 50s I think now, though i was surprised cause they all dont look that much older from when they did the last series in 1999 I think it was.

I think this pursuit of a movie should be abandoned, and I think money should be pumped into more series,
    i think the series should be made the best series - up there with series 3 and 5!!! (and NOT like series 8!!!!)
    and then after two new series, if theres enough popularity, they could always make a feature-length tv movie....
    sure, I can see why naylor would want a red dwarf movie - a full proper feature - afterall it does deserve the treatment!
    but I don't think the american cinema mainstream are ever gonna 'get it' so theres no profit in it, therefore no one will invest -plus, americanising the red dwarf series or recasting does not (and DID not) work!!!
    why not do something slightly outside the box and say; make a feature length movie episode to go after series IX, back to earth specials, and serues X - and maybe even have it on limited release in UK cinemas??? - you never know, it could become so cultishly popular that investors see it's potential finally and then invest in it so it can travel to america!!!!!!!

TV movies worked very well for BattleStarGallactica for instance!
    But really, there is great writing needed in a new series that can act as foundations for further series or movie adaps!
    if naylor (and I know naylor has shown he is a genius in the past) writes another flailing series 8 (which i didnt think was all that bad) then red dwarf comes that bit closer to not continuing in my opinion.
    If the new series is like the back to earth writing I don't think we have anything to worry about! :-)
    and as for their ages; like i said, they still look ten years younger! so I'd guess if they get prolific fast, they could do many more series in the next 10 yesrs!

19. betelgeuse

Just as an end note to the above;
    after red dwarf as we know it has wound down, i.e. the actors feel they are too old or whatver, it's extremely feasible to slowly intergrate new characters that can continue the red dwarf journeys, as well as perhaps killing of the lead characters one by one???

red dwarf is really only limited by the writing imagination, therefore it could feasibly go on and on - like doctor who has done! - and newer crew could take over....feasibly.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Much as I love Red Dwarf and I want it to continue for at least a couple of series, I think that when the actors decide they've had enough, the show should be stopped. If it's a gradual process with one actor dropping out (which semi-happened in Series 7) that's fair enough. But when enough opt out, it should be over. I don't think Red Dwarf:The Next Generation is a good idea.

I wouldn't be against a spin-off in the same universe though. But then that would be a different programme, not Red Dwarf.