Info needed on the current status of Red Dwarf.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Mar 27, 2010.

1. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

When the actors have had enough its time for it to end. I wouldnt want to watch it with new characters (or just different actors), whether theyre introduced gradually or not. It just wouldnt be red dwarf to me if the main characters changed and I would stop watching it.

2. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

How about a full blow drama, 6 hour long episodes, following the adventures of Ace Rimmer jumping for dimension to dimension saving the day in heroic, yet ridiculous way. Kind of a Dr Who parody.

Not that I want a spin off really at all, or for RD to continue after the actors have had enough, but when I read spin off in the above posts, thats what immidiatly came to mind

3. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

AWESOME!

4. currymonster

if nothing else, I have a great image of a Children In Need / Red Nose Day sketch of Ace traveling with the Doctor, saving someone suitably comical (suggestions welcome) from a Dalak / Simulant aliance

5. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Interesting idea! Of course, the Doctor did travel with someone called Ace before!

6. currymonster

Unfortunatly I know little of the original Dr Who. However it would allow to tie in even more comedy into the sketch, referencing a previous companion of the same name

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

When I first watched series 8 I often thought that the canaries could have have been a spin-off show without having to build them into real Dwarf. The stuff doug wrote about the Space Corps and McGruder in Last Human also made me think their was the potential. As the cast get older and Dwarf (hopefully) eventually moves towards a happy ending, I wouldn't mind some kind of new show set in the same universe.

8. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Personally I wouldn't want Red Dwarf to have a happy ending. I like the idea of the final series (series 23 hopefully!) being the four/five guys just continuing on in their journey to try and get home. If it ends with them all getting back to earth and everyone's happy then there's no room left for our imagination. If they just continue on in heading towards home we can all think about other adventures they may have on their way home.

As for a spin off series that could be a good idea, depending what it's about and how it works in to the RD world.

RAGE

9. currymonster

Recasting rarely works. Dr Who is the exception because people accept it as regenerating is part of The Doctor's character.

Looks at series like Sliders, or Star Gate SG1. Ok both never fully re-casted, there was always a 1 or 2 original main characters. But both shows quickly came to an after a series or 2 and because the fans of the show did not like the new characters.

Part of the reason we like RD (I should think this is fairly general) is because the idea of the last human being alive is a slob, whos only interest is curry, beer and women (1 woman in particular) and he is stuck on a space ship at the ends of the universe with the person he hates the most, and a fairly uninteligent, self obsessed evolved cat. With finally the introduction of a robot that never really knows whether he is coming or going.

Each of those characters make for good tv becuase we all sort of know people like that in our lives, and couldn't bare to be in the same situation.

Introduce new characters, you couldn't give them the same character traits as Lister, Cat, Kryton, or Rimmer ... as they are NEW. They have to have NEW character traits and we would very quickly lose interest in a different set of characters, that we have to get to know again and will essentially change the dynamic of the show. Maybe only in subtle ways, but it would be rubbish.

Dr Who works because the essence of the character is the same. Each version of him, no matter what his personality, he is still heroic and adventurous. And we know his back story so his life just carries on in a new form and after 10mins of showing the Doctor dying and regenerating, everyone gets over it and its back to the action.

The show is about the Last Human, which I think is why series 8 failed, because it re-introduces a whole bunch more humans and Lister was no longer alone and little was his responsibilty anymore.

Introduce new main characters, and the show loses meaning and fails miserably

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Self, self, self, self, self! :lol:

11. chaffinch

chaffinch Third Technician

I filmed my own mini Red Dwarf scene on the subject of the show's future which you may be interested to see: *link* If you like it maybe you could put a ring on i... I mean favorite it :-) It features the Hattie Hayridge version of Holly as I reckoned Norman Lovett sure aint gonna be in it anymore.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh. I like your version of the ship at the end there.

13. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

LOL!!!! :-D

That was also a bit creepy... but very funny!

I do hope Hattie is in any new series. I'm sure I'll get a backlash for saying this, but I've always preferred her Holly anyway. Norman's was wonderful too, but for me, hers was even better.

14. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

I personally would be fine with almost any ending to Red Dwarf, as long as it wasn't an evil cliffhanger like "Only the Good..." even if it was a very bad arsed ending for Rimmer.

I too like the idea of them continuing to drift through space. It would at least leave open the possibility for more novels to be written about their various adventures and exploits. I wouldn't be a fan of the TV series continuing with new actors, but novels about the original cast would be just fine by me...especially if Grant or Naylor(or both!) were writing them.

15. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

I was starting to wonder if it was just me that raised an eyebrow. :P

16. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I prefer Hatties Holly too and Hattie in general. I would love to see her in the new series. I dont dislike Norman's Holly at all and my favourite series is a Norman one, but Ive just always prefered the female Holly. I think it might be because as a kid I saw all of Hatties episodes many many times before I saw any of Normans and I was more used to having a female Holly. Plus its good to have a female character I think.