Is a Hot Dog a sandwich?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Cloud, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Discus

[​IMG]

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

They look kinda different to me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Underdunn, jmc2000, Cloud and 2 others like this.
  3. Cloud

obscene

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

IMO No, but then I have a hard enough time with people referring to a Cheeseburger as a Sandwich!

Also, I see your Discus and raise you.

[​IMG]

jmc2000 likes this.
  5. Cloud

Offensive

6. Simonr1978

Don't make me get their angry mate...

[​IMG]

7. Cloud

Obtuse

8. Simonr1978

9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I say no.

In British English, I believe the convention is as follows:

- A sandwich has layers that are approximately two dimensional. You should be able to demonstrate the basic structure of a sandwich by making a pile of playing cards, and explaining what each is as you deal it (e.g., "bread, ham, cheese, lettuce, bread"). There's some waggle room here, as long as the filling has a dimension that's significantly smaller than the others. For instance: meatballs aren't flat individually, but you'd arrange them in a flattish way (say, a layer that's 3 * 6 * 1 meatballs in size). Anyway, I think a hot dog fails this first test. If you wanted to mime that something was sandwiched between something else, you'd press your palms together flat. If you wanted to mime how a hotdog goes in the bun, you wouldn't do that.

- The first and last layer should be bread. This is usually the top and bottom. A baguette can be displayed with the opening pointing upwards (like "v" rather than a "<") to advertise the filling, but I don't think many people would eat it like that. Again, there's some waggle room here. I'd be prepared to pass a hotdog on this bullet, using the "baguette protocol" - if it were the only point of controversy. So we've got a "fail" and a "weak pass" for hotdogs.

- It can be hot or cold, but it's usually something that would be unremarkable as a cold sandwich (e.g., cheese toasties and hot bacon rolls are definitely sandwiches, but a beefburger isn't - in British English - because a burger isn't a hot version of a cold sandwich). Again, there's some waggle room here. If I put a layer of hot donner meat between two slices of buttered bread, people would instantly recognise it as a sandwich, because it passes the first two bullets so clearly. And, of course, the meatball sandwich bucks this trend. So we've now got one fail and two weak passes.

- The two bread layers can be joined (e.g., a roll sliced almost all the way through) but this must be optional. The sandwich must be viable if the roll is completely cut in half (to put it another way, the bread pieces can be joined, but the join can't be "load-bearing"). Again, I think a hotdog fails here. If the two halves of the bun weren't attached, the top one would be unstable and roll off.

So my final verdict is fail - weak pass - weak pass - fail. I just don't think a hotdog is a convincing sandwich.

10. Simonr1978

I know you've said and bolded for emphasis the word "usually" here, but the iconic triple fried egg, chilli sauce and chutney sandwich would probably fail the test as a cold sandwich. This is practically heresy, sir!

jmc2000 likes this.
  11. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

a hot dog is just a small sub sandwich with a tube in it

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Is a sandwich a hotdog?

13. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I don’t think so.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

It isn't. Sandwich is made of two slices of bread and hot dog just of one. Inside sandwich you can put almost anything, but insude hot dog just a sausage.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  15. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I don't think so, because it's just one piece of bread, rather than two or more that go into a sandwich. It's worth a ponder though, like asking what is the difference between a sub and a vienna

16. Cloud

Buy a sub is just one piece as well and it cut open and is a sandwich, same as a hot dog.

Like if i went to subway and asked for a sub full of sausages is that a hot dog or a sandwich.

Asclepius and Abe like this.
  17. Simonr1978

The way I see it, a sandwich uses sliced bread. If it involves other types of bread, I'd usually refer to it accordingly. For example a ham sandwich, a ham baguette, a ham roll, etc. Helps differentiate them all. I generally think of Hotdogs as using Frankfurters otherwise it's sausage inna bun, similar but not the same.

18. Cloud

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines sandwich as

Definition of sandwich
    : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between: one slice of bread covered with food

Sounds like a hot dog to me

Abe likes this.
  19. Simonr1978

Since I'm not American I'll go with the Oxford English Dictionary for a proper English Definition:

Or try the Cambridge English dictionary for an alternative:

No mention of split rolls or any other such shenanigans this side of the pond. That kind of heathen nonsense happens of course, but it doesn't make a true sandwich.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  20. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I sort of sympathise with both positions.

I would refer to a cheese roll individually as a "roll" rather than a sandwich. But if I said I have cheese sandwiches every day, and someone corrected me because I sometimes have buns instead of sliced bread, I'd think that was unfair (rather than pedantic).

I guess I'd always refer to a dingo as a "dingo" rather than a dog, but it's still a kind of dog. Likewise with a roll or baguette.

How's this for an acid test: imagine you want to know whether a sandwich shop has anything other than sandwiches. I say, "No - just sandwiches." If you later found out that they had "x", would you think I'd misinformed you? If so, "x" isn't a sandwich.

If a sandwich shop sells hot dogs, I think "just sandwiches" is wrong. You might even challenge whether it should be called a "sandwich shop" when it sells hot dogs.

If I told you a shop only sold sandwiches, knowing full well they had hot dogs, and you missed your chance to grab a hot dog, I think you might be annoyed with me. But you wouldn't be annoyed if they had baguettes or ciabattas (in fact, in this day and age, you'd be surprised if a sandwich shop didn't).

Simonr1978 likes this.