Is Back To Earth now accepted as being terrible?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Murray, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Murray

Murray Second Technician

I could "marshal a defence" right now if you'd like, but it would be pointless. You'd brush it off as being "unverifiable" at best, or just claim I was making it all up at worst. It takes a scientist months to put together proper presentable data, as you should know.

And the reason it would take that long is because I have a demanding job. This is the internet, after all ... producing data for you isn't something I can do full-time.

I said "But anyway - great, fine. I accept your clarification - I overrule any doubts I have about your motives - I'm happy to move on." Why do you think I don't support moving on now, despite me explicitly saying I'm happy to do so?[/quote]
    Because you're making a specific point of continuing to place blame on me for your not moving on in the first place. Hence this part of the discussion still existing long past the point of it being relevant and/or useful, to the point of you derailing the discussion.

I'm glad to hear you don't have a job which keeps you away from collecting Red Dwarf opinions to a scientifically approved level of presentation.

If only we were all that lucky. :-(

Because you're asking me to trust you and believe in your evidence. Which means you should probably not do that if you aren't willing to return the favour.

2. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Not in the slightest! I regard BTE higher than series 8,3 and 1. I think it was a great, well acted, funny and at times quite moving piece of comedy-drama.

It does, however, work better as one film (the director cut in particular was better than it being shown in three parts)!

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  3. One Time

One Time Third Technician

The one thing that kept pulling me out of RD:BTE was the unquestioning resignation of the crew to being characters in a TV sitcom in this dimension.

It was just incongruent with how Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the Cat would have behaved in that situation. It felt fake. The crew has been whisked to plenty of strange dimensions in the past and their first instinct was always "ok how can we escape this place and get back to our own dimension".

In BTE they just immediately resign to the fact that they are TV characters? It didn't feel like we were watching the RD crew. It felt like watching Craig Charles, Danny John Jules, Chris Barrie and Robert Llewellyn pretend to be Red Dwarf characters because the script told them to. What made that dimension so special to have them grovel and beg for more "life"? The SMEG with this place, let's get back!

And the whole Blade Runner (and to a point Coronation St.) thing was ridiculous. Why just copy Bladerunner outright? A real artist would never be as uninspired as to copy something else literally beat for beat, scene for scene. It's like watching a Batman movie and he suddenly makes webslingers for his wrists and starts swinging from buildings. Imagine the end of a Nolan Batman movie playing out -identical- to Sam Raimi's Spider-man II, scene for scene, beat for beat. With Batman being a Spider-man. A highschool film student age 16 might have done that, and filmed themselves acting out another movie, to prove something to themselves, but at this level it just looks weird, uninspired and cheap.

That's my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah I see your point but they were having a hallucination so maybe that's why!?

thinkingman likes this.
  5. thinkingman

thinkingman Third Technician

In Back to Reality they resigned to the fact that they were Duane Dibbley, Jake Bullet, Sebastian Doyle and William Doyle pretty quickly.

As for the Blade Runner bit - it was hardly a copy of scene for scene. bearing in mind the RD crew are meant to be in the future and would have undoubtedly been aware of/watched Blade Runner, it would hardly be out of the realms of possibility that their shared hallucination could have brought up some of the concepts in said film.

Personally I didn't like season 9 the first time I watched it (although obviously ecstatic that Red Dwarf was still going!), but the more I watch it the more I've grown to like it and appreciate the homage to Blade Runner.

PeeJayHarvey and FeeBee like this.
  6. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

No, I liked it then and still do. Not my favorite "series" but still watching it.

thinkingman and PeeJayHarvey like this.
  7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I was disappointed at the time because it wasn't Red Dwarf as we know it - it was something weird and different. But these days I can appreciate it for what it is, and the weirdness and the being different are part of what appeals to me. I still only consider it a below average episode though.

FeeBee and thinkingman like this.
  8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I agree with this assessment very much. At the time I really wasn't too impressed by it but upon re-watch 2 years ago I enjoyed it for what it was - a Back to Reality/Bladerunner pastiche/tribute and extension of the dramatic style of series 7.

If it had been the last Red Dwarf ever I would have been even more disappointed than if series 8 was the final series, but I think because there has been superior, much more Dwarfy Red Dwarf since, then that is why I don't mind BtE too much now, though I agree it is the weakest Red Dwarf (mini)-series.

thinkingman and FeeBee like this.
  9. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

I wasn't blown away with BtE but I didn't think it was terrible either. The only thing that would have been terrible (thank God for Dave) is as UltraDevotee said, if it had been the last Red Dwarf ever...

thinkingman and FeeBee like this.