Is Cat really the last of his species?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KrytensPenis, Oct 28, 2012.

1. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

We would have to assume that a pregnant Frankenstein was the last of the feline cat species, othwewise it doesn't make sense that future descendants of Frankenstein were the only felines to evolve into humanoid.

What about all the millions of felines on planet earth? Surely they would have evolved into humanoid form too, wouldn't they?

Their history would be different, and thus they may still be around 3000,000 years later. They'd also have to have a different set of religious beliefs other than Cloister the Stupid.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I would say that it's unknown, Naylor may still wanna explore the idea in the future as unmade episode Identity Within shows.

3. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

Yeah it's definitely something that needs to be clarified. I mean it's nonsensical that Frankenstein was the last of its species with none left on Earth.

4. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Evolved cats from Earth would be different species with a common ancestor, much as humans and apes have a common ancestor.

Both Hudzen and Don Warrington's hologrammatic character recognised the Cat's species, leading me to believe felis sapiens is still a known species in the galaxy.

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I had hoped to find out the fate of the surviving Cat Ark since....well, since I saw the first Series. I would love for them to have revisited the Cat species in one form or another. Which they nearly did... But it had never occurred to me about other Cat's not onboard Red Dwarf. Felix Sapiens NOT descended from Frankenstein. All the Cat's from Earth and it's surrounding planets and lunar colonies...

You just made me smile with that thought....Brilliant!

6. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

It'd be funny if the Cats on earth evolved different from the descendants of Frankenstein, and they met our Cat :-D

7. Yule Sleigher

I'm pretty sure the simulant from "Gunmen of the Apocalypse" immediately knew what the Cat was, too.

As a side note, I often find it strange how little surprise Lister evokes, considering humans have been extinct for presumably hundreds of thousands of years. No-one who meets them ever seems stunned to see a human, or even fails to recognise his species.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think those various character's recognised the Cat's species either because:

a) they had a scanning device like the psi-scanner* (possibly built in, where mechanical's like Hudzen are concerned) which picked up feline DNA.

b) They had encountered the survivors from cat Ark. I hope we encounter them in a future episode as well.

I didn't really think that they would have encountered another cat species from earth. Beside, from my understanding of evolution, (although I question it's veracity as there are precious few missing links to prove it, but that's another discussion) I'm not sure it works quite like that. As others have said, any evolved feline species on Earth could have turned out quite different.

*Off-topic, but I've often wondered how the psi-scanner got it's name. The syllable 'psi' is often used as a short hand for psychic. In this case, is 'psi' an acronym for something else? As it basically seems to be the equivalent of a Star-Trek tricorder I'd have thought 'sci-scanner' would have been more appropriate. On the other hand, maybe it's a joke. As in, the device would need to be psychic to pick up the amount of information that it does.

9. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

Do we know whether Doug was the one who suggested writing about that topic though? John McKay penned it alone initially I believe (with Doug doing a later rewrite?).

10. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I don't believe he is the last of his species, all already explained above.

11. Yule Sleigher

Darn it! I thought I was on to something there.:-(

So, when it turns out those bird-like dinosaurs evolved from birds, it'll shock a lot of people.;-)

To add, the circumstances under which fossilisation occurs are rare, and we would expect the fossil record to be an incomplete representation of the history of organism variety on Earth. This is particularly true if the currently favoured "punctuated equilibrium" model of evolution is correct.

On topic, in a fictional universe which seems to have used up most of its options for novel characters, it seems unlikely Doug has ruled out bringing felis sapiens characters into the show at some point.

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Why would there be humanoid cat descended creatures on earth? Frankenstein was sealed in the hold & somehow her descendants evolved into a humanoid lifeform. No idea how this is possible but still the conditions on earth are different, so why would cats evolve on earth? They haven't so far. :roll:

13. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

It's explained in series 1... The evolution of the cat species

14. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Wait what?

...Evolution is an ongoing process, Simmy. They are still evolving, and have been evolving for millions of years.

15. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Wasn't the radiation leak related to the Cat people's evolution?

16. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I don't believe so, the radiation would have killed them.

17. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

That's a good point!! In which case it should be possible that the cats on earth also evolved.

18. Yule Sleigher

I think Simmy's point is that evolution isn't always moving towards some humanoid perfection, but is a process that can take a species in any number of directions depending upon its environment. Apart from the fact cats evolving for three million years on Earth would end up being a different species from the ones on the ship, with the domestic cat being their latest common ancestor, in all likelihood they wouldn't evolve to resemble each other in the slightest.

All of which means, even if cats have continued to evolve on Earth, they won't answer the question of whether Cat is the last felis sapiens. Only those originating on Red Dwarf are members of that species.

19. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

The Cats evolved to near-humanity because they were in an environment designed by humans, for humans; and with no natural predators other than themselves, any beneficial mutations would probably be slated toward humanity.

The disbelief suspending part, though, is how they were able to get a viable breeding population from just 4 kittens, all from the same litter.

About whether he's the last of his kind; well, he is in the same way Lister is the last human: He's the last known one, and any others we meet will be written out by the end of the episode anyway (For the record, Dr. Edgington was a stupid, cop out way to end the subplot of Entangled).

20. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

Oh, someone punch him out!