is chat coming back?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jul 3, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

On here I mean, not on a separate thingummy?

2. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Nikki the Great likes this.
  3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Don't you like our lovely new chat Neil?

4. neilold

Yeah, just kinda miss it on here

5. Nikki the Great

Haha suppose I might as well say it now...do you remember when the old chatroom was "removed" from the old forum? But it would mysteriously say at the bottom of the forum how a number of users were in there? And some of us were all like "Oh yeah, probably just a bug"?

Well confession: it wasn't a bug lolol several of us were actually in there hahahahaha! We found a way in. I'm not gonna name names, but it was some of the best times of chat we ever had I think.

My favourite part was watching the members list to see who was online and whenever Seb came on we all ran away loolololol. Good times.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

And that's why it's not coming back, basically.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  7. Nikki the Great

Oh come off it Seb, you can't blame that for you pulling chat lol. You pulled it before that even happened cos you said were getting complaints about it all the time! You wouldn't even have known if I hadn't have said hahaha

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Nah, I'm not saying it was the reason it was got rid of - but the thing of people going back in after the link had been taken down (and yes, I did know about that - somebody dobbed you all in - but it was more trouble than it was worth to figure out how to actually fully delete it rather than just removing the link, as we were concentrating on setting up the new forum so I knew it would be gone before long) is pretty much an example of the wider problem of why it just wasn't working. And it's that kind of thing that's the reason why we're not in a hurry to bring it back.

I mean, I explained myself at the time, so I don't really want to rake over it all again, but the simple fact is: the chat wasn't feeling like a healthy or comfortable place, and certainly wasn't in line with what this forum is supposed to be here for (which is, y'know, talking about Red Dwarf). And it came to signify an attitude of pushing and pushing things, to see how far people could go. To a point, that's harmless, and I've deliberately tried to let a bit more go in this section since the relaunch. But if it comes to dominate the entire forum, then it becomes a problem.

And if we put a new chat function back into this forum, I know it would be exactly the same. It's not what the site's here for, so I don't really want to be responsible for enabling it.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  9. Nikki the Great

Well I'm glad you edited that cos that could've caused a lot of silly bother lol.

Ok cool thanks :thumbup:

10. neilold

Chat wasn't always a friendly place to be. I didn't go in that often,but there was plenty of incidents in there. Despite that, it could be fun

11. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Me and Nikki would just ruin it again. We cant be trusted.

12. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I dobbed you all in.

13. Nikki the Great

@PeeJayHarvey Yeah it's a great place to be now the douche canoes have all gone. I am glad you think so too.

Actually that's a fair point. We just can't help ourselves. This is why we can't have nice things.

I knew it! :mad:

14. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I knew it was members. Let's rebel against him

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Agreed.

TBH, I think the "unofficial chat" is the fairest solution all round... it removes the moderation liability from GNP, and we still get to do /me charades and all our other games. It's been very friendly and funny. I can still chat with Nikki, Pembers, etc., and no one has to worry about drama - a) because no one's on the hook to moderate it and b) because there's actually no drama. So, while it's a bit of a shame the official chat got canned, this seems to be the best of all worlds?

Having a chatroom attached to the forum was a liability. I can't dispute that it "wasn't feeling like a healthy or comfortable place." Things were said in there that caused lasting ill-will which frankly hasn't gone away. Some real nastiness happened off the radar, and then minor retaliations were seen on the forum and gave a warped impression. Getting to know some of the regulars off-forum was like getting the masks off them. There were some surprising heroes and unexpected villains. It's probably best if forum business happens on the forum, transparently - as much as it can do, with social media, etc. - so we don't get a "fog of war" situation, where people start picking sides and taking shots without full visibility.

Really, if chat stopped being tenable, I put the blame on the people who started the nastiness - i.e., no one who's responded here - and find chat completely different with them out of the picture.

16. neilold

jmc 2000 some of the stuff you said there, specially your second paragraph, is some of the most accurate info I have read about chat on here ever.

17. Nikki the Great

Yes. @Pembers present your hat.

18. Nikki the Great

Agreed.

And let's not lose sight of this:

Truth.

Thankyouandgoodnight

Abe and jmc2000 like this.
  19. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Ok don't even joke about that. I'm all for banter but that's going way too far.

Reported.

20. Nikki the Great

Gosh you little grass Adam! While you're at it, why don't you report that time when Blazin' Squad hacked the forum?

jmc2000 likes this.