Is Gambling Immoral?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Pembers, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Personally I don't think so however I do think it should be treated a bit more like smoking whereby it can't be advertised quite so freely.

As someone who works in marketing I actually admire Paddy Power for their advertising and promotional campaigns but I do think it's a little too 'accessible' for want of a better word. Gambing companies can advertise on billboards and during sporting events which can be seen by anyone, including children. I also don't like the 'bet in play' stuff that appears during half time etc. It encourages irresponsible gambling in my opinion.

I'm usually quite 'libertarian' in these matters but if something is for over 18's only the advertising should be also.

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

There are very few things I consider "immoral" actually. "Morality" means different things to each person. Now, I VERY seldom gamble and quite frankly can't see the attraction, but I agree with you that gambling should be treated a little more ............ discretely for want of a better word. I'm afraid that the "under 18/under 21" advertising thing is more of a chimera than a possibility though. There's just too much of it around anymore, gambling and gambling advertising to ever put the genie back in the bottle. (NO OFFENSE INTENDED), but you marketing guys will find a way to get your messages out. Its just a fact of life. We ban tobacco ad's ....sorta..... but I defy you to find a 12 year old kid who can't name you 3 or 4 brands of cigarettes off the top of their heads. Advertising permeates any capitalistic society and ours are no exceptions. In the end only the money talk's to those in power and .....lol...... "we" don't stand a chance.

Abe, Nikki the Great and Pembers like this.
  3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't think gambling in itself is immoral. A guy gambling his family's life savings, leaving them in serious financial trouble is immoral. But it's the guy that's immoral in a situation like that, not the gambling itself.

4. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Bad old Santa, didn't you work a carny stall? and if you did, don't you find it slightly hypocritical talking about the dangers of gambling?

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I've worked for companies I've thought sometimes acted immorally. I don't think whom you work necessarily determines with what you're comfortable. You're soul is still your own.

Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  6. neilold

Oh yes, absolutely, I'm not saying anything about big old like that. I'm just saying if you work in the business, or along similar lines, you have to check your own stance when passing comment

7. neilold

I myself worked in a bookies, many years ago, and I would have expected to be questioned on my moral judgement about such things, both then and now

8. BigOleDummy

Yes I was, and in many ways still am, a Carnie. No, what I did had absolutely no "gambling" involved. Gambling is a game of chance and for a game to be passed by the inspectors there has to be an element of skill involved. Even when I was working the "traps" (for a short time and long long ago) you couldn't really call it gambling because I held all the cards, so to speak. Gambling is illegal in most of the States. No, I do not think there is anything hypocritical AT ALL about what I wrote and quite frankly I fail to see where you got that from my post. I don't gamble but could care less if anyone else wants to throw their money away.

For your transparent attempt to bait BadOleSantabot :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abe likes this.
  9. neilold

Not another list I'm on on here!!!!

10. neilold

Well that's a fair enough comment big old

BigOleDummy likes this.
  11. BigOleDummy

Just a quibble, but they are called "joints" not stalls.

You seem to be vying with @Ant E to see who can get the most coal in their stocking for xmas! :eek:;-)

Thank you.

12. neilold

I've enough warnings to do a re-papering job

BigOleDummy likes this.
  13. BigOleDummy

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. neilold

15. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator