Is Waiting for God THAT bad?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Nicko1, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I love The End. It does a great job of setting up the premise and introducing the four main characters and all their traits. And it's nice to get a rare glimpse at the pre-accident goings on.

By coincidence I was re-watching The End: The Original Assembly only the other day. The Rob and Doug commentary is well worth a listen.

2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Oh I love The End too, I'm just saying, the first episode of any series has a lot of work setting things up, and in this case I felt other episodes were funnier and better acted. Still a great opening though.

3. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I think I've only seen The End once.... I only started seriously watching Dwarf when the whole lot was repeated on BBC2 sometime in the mid-90s. These were the days pre-video recorders (in our house, at least) and I missed most of series I. By the time I did get chance to watch The End I'd seen every other episode and read the novels, so I'm afraid its thunder was rather comprehensively stolen for me. Interestingly, however, Future Echoes was the other episode I came to at the same time, is also heavily referenced in the novels and yet I find that much more rewatchable. Strange...

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Not really. Future Echoes is a great cleverly written episode. The End, while not bad, wasn't as good, in my opinion.

I actually didn't like The End when I first saw it, which was the first time it came out. (I'm getting old.) I didn't watch any more Red Dwarf until Marooned. (In my defence, I was young at the time. I'd probably give it more of a chance if I'd seen it for the first time in at my current age.) If I'd just stuck around for Future Echoes, I wonder if my reaction would have been the same.

I actually don't mind The End now.

Oh and I liked Waiting for God too. I really don't get what Rob and Doug dislike about it.

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Waiting For God is my fave episode from series 1. 8) I've never got why it has such a bad rep...

6. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

YAY! :-D

7. Angelic_Storm

I take it then that you agree with me? hehe :-)

I've always loved this episode, and it was only in recent years that I learned that it was one of the least liked episodes of the fans, which always baffled me! :-(

For me, every single aspect of Waiting For God engages me on some level, which is why I love it so much. The subliminal satire on the negative aspects of religion, the backstory of the cat people, Lister's discovery that he is in fact their god, and the hilarious "Quagaars" subplot including Rimmer's classic enraged speech! (THIS is science, laddy! lol xD) I also totally loved the much maligned scene with the cat priest. Earlier in the episode, Lister says he wishes he could explain and apologise to the cat people. Yet, when faced with the dying cat priest who is losing his faith, he decides it's more important to make a dying old man happy, so restores his faith before he dies, even though Lister knows the truth. I found that scene very poignant and I think some people simply didn't get it.

Series I is very strong, but Waiting For God has always stood out to me just that little bit more than the other episodes in that series. I love it a lot!

8. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I dont mind waiting for God it is certainly watchable.

9. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I think 'Waiting for God' really raises the stakes of Red Dwarf, for all the reasons you mentioned.

10. potatojunkie

potatojunkie First Technician

I never realised it was among the "least favourite" episodes (series 8 takes that for me!). I think it's great for all the reasons already mentioned and I think it's an important episode. It explains why Cat is the only cat creature still around!!

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think it might be one of my favourite episode of Series 1 although I think Future Echoes has top place.

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

As it happens I have just watched "Waiting for god" now. Jst finished and It's not an episode I watch often It really does have plenty of funny moments in it. It gets my vote.

13. Angelic_Storm

Yay, it's nice to see some love for Waiting For God for a change! :-) It does have some major competition from Future Echoes which is a close second fave for me in series 1, so I definitely see why so many love that partciular one too.

14. 57194q

57194q Guest

brilliant episode. just smeging brilliant!

15. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

I have to admit now it's been brought up I also found Waiting for god to be probably the most boring episode of series one however feelings change over the years, I remember positively hating the one where they find the giant tombstone buried on the asteroid (Thanks for the memory?) but one day after probably having watched it 5 or 6 times by now I suddenly clicked with it and now I love it.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Thanks for the Memory is an interesting episode. I've never disliked it, even thoroughly enjoyed it when I actually saw it, yet on considering favourites for Series 2, I'd be more likely to choose something like Stasis Leak, which is still a favourite of mine.

I say the previous sentence very much in the past tense though as relatively recently (which is probably a good 2-3 years ago now, heh) on rewatching Thanks... it struck me just how fantastic that episode actually is. I think maybe it didn't stick in the memory as much in the past as it didn't have the glitzy gimmicks of Better than Life* or the bendy sci-fi tropes of Stasis Leak. It seems understated somehow, yet, it has a lot to offer; some great comedy, and a fantastic story incorporating a mystery. I think it's up there as a favourite tied with Stasis Leak, now. It might even beat it, although it's difficult to judge as they both have different things to offer.

*And I don't mean 'glitzy gimmick' to be a criticism. I love the premise, and Better Than Life, is still a great episode.

17. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Thanks for the Memory is one of the greatest pieces of television ever made. That is all.

18. Magnaminous_G

Magnaminous_G Skutter

I personally consider "Waiting for God" a classic. For one, there's the glorious, full-on display of Rimmer's total neurosis at work... gold. Second, there's lines like this:

"Mankind hasn't even got the technology to create a toupee that doesn't get big laughs." :-D

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This I consider to be Waiting For God's finest joke:

20. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Agreed. I love that episode... It may even be my favourite. May.