Is Waiting for God THAT bad?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Nicko1, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

This has turned from Waiting For God to Thanks For The Memory :P

I liked waiting for god cos you got a lot more back story on the cats. Little bits like that i like.

2. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I'm not sure what I think about the cat priest part, there were a lot of good jokes but I don't quite get the story. I loved the garbage pod though and the cat's yoyo (shiny thing) is brilliant. I think my least favourite episode in series one is Future Echoes, it didn't quite work for me. The worst episodes out of the whole thing are series 7 (apart from Tikka to Ride) and 8 (apart from Cassandra).

3. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

Anecdote of the week!!! :lol:

I thought the post was about the sitcom, "Waiting for god"... Anybody remember "A very peculiar practise"?

Waiting for god was ok, havn't seen it for such a long time, but it works & is good enough for me... as to wether that's saying much!!!

4. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I not only remember A Very Peculiar Practice, I have the first series on DVD.

5. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I don't like much of series one because it has a fundamentally unlikeable Rimmer.
    He's totally different to later on in the series when the softened the character a notch or two.

The idea in sitcoms of this kind of intolerable bastard is that they put themselves on a pedestal through rudeness, selfishness, etc and you enjoy seeing their comeuppance.
    In Waiting for God his entire "comeuppance" takes place over the ending credits, which isn't very satisfying to this viewer at least.

That said, I do like the Cat parts of this episode. I hope we catch up with that second arc one of these days.
    (I know, I know, we never will, but oh well, we can dream)

(Boring Technical Question: is the arc perhaps the first reference in the series to Starbug or are we to believe that the cats built their own Ark. "HOW DO I DRIVE SHIP" etc...)

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

In the series, the Cats built their own arks. In the book they all flew away on the various shuttle craft (i.e. Starbugs and Blue midgets) if I remember correctly.

Actually, that answers a question, I've often been puzzled about. I often wondered why they only have the two craft (or it maybe three) in the book version of Red DwarfInfinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, considering the crew are over a thousand. For some reason my mind didn't make the connection to the Cat race WHICH HAD BEEN MENTIONED EARLIER until now. What a dunce-breed I am.

7. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Ahhh! A Red Dwarf moment you just didn't "get". Report to my thread please! :P

I think there's a few distinct ship types (Blue Midget Mk 1, Blue Midget Mk 2, White Midget (seen in series 8 at last shuttling the canaries around) and Starbug 1, 2, 3, etc.

As for their purpose, maybe Starbug is supposed to help on mining missions and the others are more passenger ships...

Maybe there's a whole other thread in this too :P

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Just out of curiosity (and I accept this is probably one for that other thread, not that we worry too much about staying on topic in this forum) which Blue Midget would you count as which? It's tempting to count the original from the earlier series as '1' and those from Series 8 and the remastered series as mark 2.

However, if we go with the remastered series there was only ever one kind of Blue Midget, the leggy one. (I don't think we see any more of Blue midget in the original series beyond series 1, do we? Before 8.) And if we go with the Original series and assume the New Blue midgets are the result of the nanobots changing everything back to the factory settings (small craft included) then the new leggy craft is actually mark 1, the original Mark 2.

And I've put way too much thought into this, haven't I?

Actually it was the one shown in the flashback scene in Series VII, the one shuttling Lister back home from shore leave just before his break up with Kochanski. I think the Canary vessel was yet another design.

9. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Have re-watched the episode and now get the Cat Preist part, and think it is brilliant. Definately not the best episode but not the worst either. Also now get Future Echoes, not sure which episode is worst now - probably the End.