IT, 2017

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Stephen, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

[​IMG]

So this film finally came out in cinemas over the weekend. Those that have seen it what are your thoughts? And how does it compare to the Tim Curry version for you?

I personally liked it! Not gory like but more creepy. Not as jump scary as I first thought either. In my opinion the group of kids made this movie!

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

watching it tonight with any luck, so i'll reply tomorrow, assuming I see it. Seeing how well its done at the box office, expect to see the remakes start to pile out at an even higher rate than they have being

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  3. neilold

4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

I haven't seen it yet. But I will do soon. I'm glad to hear it's more creepy than gory, cos that's my personal preference.

I remember the old tv version when it came out, well all the advertisements anyway, they really creeped me out so there was no way I would've watched it (I was only very young anyway). I remember knowing my parents were watching it downstairs at my grandparents house when we were staying there, and the thought of that alone frightened me. So I avoided it for years.

I did try to watch it a few years later, when it came on tv again, but the opening scene (Pennywise amongst all the laundry, little girl on trike etc) creeped me out too much that I switched it off.

Then as a teenager, my favourite book was Carrie, which was also by Stephen King. And because I had read it over and over, I thought I might try reading IT. The story was interesting but also very disturbing. There were parts in there that I assume will never be transferred to any film versions (All the Loser Club, who are 11 years old, have sex with Beverley, who is also 11. A severely mentally disturbed child suffocates his baby brother. A 2 year old boy has his head flushed down the toilet repeatedly by Pennywise, drowning him, are all examples that stick in my mind).

I did watch the tv version years later however and you know what? It bored me. Didn't scare me at all. I think this was probably due to the outdated special effects and having read the book, which was much creepier.

I am looking forward to seeing the new version though. The trailers look promising. And the next instalment when they're adults should also be interesting.

I like the single red balloon outside every cinema thing too, but I hope we don't get a repeat of the "Killer clown sitings" too.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. neilold

didn't know about the balloon cinema thing, that's really cool. Watched last night, and i will try to make this spoiler free. Not bad, very similar to the original movie in style and content, definitely got the same vibe going on. I was glad to see not too much of an over reliance on jump scares, which is a definite plus for me. This version tends to flesh out the original movie a bit more, though I'm sure nowhere near enough for a lot of fans of the book. None of the stuff nikki mentions as being untransferable is in it, unless I missed it. Overall 6 red balloons out of 10, though I was pretty indifferent about the original movie, and this is reflected in my score, so, any fans of that movie will probably be able to add a solid two balloons to my rating, maybe more

6. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I don't want to see it, but my friend keeps telling me that she is taking me to see it when it comes out here. Which she has done to me with a number of horror movies over the years. She hates going to the movies by herself. Horror movies don't scare me but I still don't enjoy watching them. (Yet I listen to horror stories)

7. neilold

curious and curiouser!

8. neilold

do you like it more or less than the tim curry version Steve, or about the same, and (spoiler free) why?

9. neilold

there's already talk of the dvd directors cut of this, which is apparently gonna be 15 minutes longer, but more scenes with the losers, rather than more gore